Recommendations for Registry CleanUp Software?

KenO

Regseeker is a good one but you need to add this line:

2|SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\VarLDID

to the exclude.ini file otherwise it'll break your Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup applet.

Hi loblo,

"Regseeker is a good one but you need to add this line: 2|SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\VarLDID to the exclude.ini file otherwise it'll break your Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup applet."

Thanks. Will do.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the software I recommend to you.

let is scan your computer, find errors and clean them all.

Interesting how a new member at his first post is recommending a Commercial software that you can have for a mere US$ 29.95 per year. :w00t:

Could it be that this post is not really-really "disinterested"? :unsure:

jaclaz

P.S.: removed the link in the quote. ;)

This discussion on registry cleaning/analysis software is also duplicated in the recent Windows 9x/Me Security Thread for 2011, which makes it quite confusing. Anyway, RegClean from Microsoft also does an excellent job with a more limited scope. It's no longer supported by Microsoft but you can still get it at MajorGeeks.

Edited by Prozactive

Hi Everyone,

So there is No Confusion when I started this post "Am interested in experience and recommendations concerning "registry cleanup software for Windows ME." was not thinking about registry problems due to malware but just all the junk that Windows adds with time.

Hoped to find apps that would allow you to record registry when do a "clean install" + all normal apps then after a while would just delete the newer registry with junk and go back to saved early registry?

Have found Registry Saver http://www.fridgesoft.de/downloads.php "Creates backups of your registry" Do not know how well this works or if it is better to create an image of

"clean install" + all normal apps and use that to reinstall?

Ken

Am interested in experience and recommendations concerning "registry cleanup software for Windows ME." was not thinking about registry problems due to malware but just all the junk that Windows adds with time.

Much of what Windows collects is usage tracks. One of the best tools for those on 9X is MRU blaster.

As for destroying your system, you can avoid this by using TestRun by BB to make a test registry to work on. You can also boot to DOS and back up system.dat and user.dat to another location first. If you trash your registry, just restore them from DOS.

I'm not sure of the availability of either so I've uploaded copies of both.

In the thread I linked to earlier, the RegCon utility is good for compacting the registry. I've uploaded it here.

The translated registry docs mentioned are uploaded here.

Both are 7zip archives.

When you get the registry cleaned out, compacted, and optimized, the link in my signature describes using batch files that will keep it that way.

Edited by herbalist