Windows XP SP0 x86 Corporate Edition 4GB and beyond

muzzy001

Hi there, i was reading on the forums and all over google that XP SP0 can actually see and use 4GB or above with PAE enabled and that from SP1 onwards microsoft has locked down the limit or ram to be used due to driver issues etc ... is this true.

If so i have just got a version of XP SP0 from my cousin which has no service packs upgrades patches etc ... it is a fully original cd untouched version of XP SP0 corporate edition released in 2001.

i would like to install this on my second pc which has 6gb of ddr3 ram. My main pc i am running win7 x64 ultimate but would like to have this XP SP0 version on my second computer

what changes would i have to make to the boot ini etc after i install XP SP0 to achive 6gb ram to be used if at all possible.

Any help you advise you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by muzzy001

The kernel required for an x86 Windows OS requires server 2003. XP SP0 doesn't contain such a kernel that I am aware of, but if you have links otherwise you should post them here.

Even so, I barely noticed the "cousin" part, but the "Corporate Edition" part. Since most people will call the VLK or MAK version of Windows as the "Corporate Edition" when it is a warez release, because for some reason no one ever calls it the VLK edition like it really is. Just something weird I've learned over the years.

Some people even have Windows 2000 Home edition. I even saw it for sale on eBay. "Genuine".

I thought you could only have that as an update to "Windows Millennium Enterprise" ;)

:lol:

jaclaz

I'm not so sure of it... by reading carefully KB888137 one might conclude that, given a modern machine, with > 3.5 GiB of RAM and a memory-hoisting BIOS, the PAE kernel of XP SP0/1 might actually make use of all the RAM! dubbio.gif Since such a hardware wasn't available (at least for most users) way back when, I think nobody ever tested it! Of course the memory hoist must be enabled first in the BIOS configuration, because the default configuration, even today, usually is "disabled". Of course, from my POV, the benefits brought in by SP2/3 far surpass any advantage that might accrue from accessing some more RAM directly, and, moreover, one can always use the remaining RAM for a RAMDISK, in which to hold those archives one prefers to see destroyed automagically at each shutdown, like the Temporary Internet Files, cookies and the like. ;) But this idea sure did excite my curiousity. :yes:

no, the XP Sp0 kernel allows you to use the complete 4GB. In XP Sp2 the PAE kernel is the default kernel, because this PAE kernel is needed for DEP/NX Bit

An ugly hack is to convert the Windows Server 2003 to XP:

post-70718-0-75890700-1302649483_thumb.p

but this is ugly and requires hacking license files and you have issue updating Windows.

no, the XP Sp0 kernel allows you to use the complete 4GB. In XP Sp2 the PAE kernel is the default kernel, because this PAE kernel is needed for DEP/NX Bit

An ugly hack is to convert the Windows Server 2003 to XP:

Isn't better you get the 64-bit edition of Windows XP?