Can't sign into a forum

Sophy

I don't know if I'm in the right forum, but if not, it's not intentional.

I have Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit. I am presently using Firefox 3.6.15, but also have IE 8 installed.

I have made NO changes of any kind to my system. I posted a question to the MajorGeeks forum a few days ago. I received email notification today that I have an answer, but I could not get into the forum. I kept getting a page stating: "The forum has been moved to a new server. If you are seeing this message, your DNS has not been updated yet."

As you can see by looking in the top right corner, it does show me as logged in, but nothing further happens beyond showing this page. I tried again later and now I no longer get this page. It just keeps bringing me back to the login area and telling me I'm not logged in.

I suppose this is something simple that I should know how to deal with ... But I don't know how to deal with it, so if someone would be so kind as to help me out with this problem I'd really appreciate it.

post-142907-0-06963000-1300661728_thumb.

... a page stating: "The forum has been moved to a new server. If you are seeing this message, your DNS has not been updated yet."

I would try a DNS LOOKUP first, or try using a different DNS, like the google one:

and see what happens.

@Sophy

It is also possible that you have some "strange" leftovers, like cookies, cahched pages and what not, try clearing them and try again.

jaclaz

I went to MajorGeeks forum site and finally found a notification area that could be accesses without logging in. This was a problem that affected everyone because MG changed their server and it explained that the local area's DNS server has to update the new server IP. Now, I really don't understand this either :blushing: , except that I did understand I would have to contact my ISP about this. I did so and a ticket was put in on this. By this morning they have fixed it and called me.

Thank you for your response.

For the record a DNS is a Domain Name Server, basically a directory of IP addresses.

You give it (example) www.google.com and you get:

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=network&host=www.google.com

with majorgeeks.com you get:

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=network&host=www.majorgeeks.com

If you go in your browser and input http://74.86.201.220 .... ;)

There are thousands of DNS around, each (theoretically) an exact copy of every each other, usually your ISP gives you one specific address of (his) DNS, DNS are synchronized periodically, in the case of an address change it is very possible that some ISP ones take one or more days to update it.

jaclaz