KernelEx for Win2000

Thank you, BlackWingCat :)

By the way, I was wrong about SRWare Iron. I've tested it one more time and it does work... but there seem to be a problem in all version of Chromium related to javascript. Processing of javascript freezes in certain situations and the only way to "solve" it is to reopen the problematic tab. I've got no screen shots at the moment so it's a little bit difficult to explain the problem in details but I'll try to prepare them later.

I would like to say here, Windows Live Messenger 2009 now runs on Windows 2000, however it seems that it cannot connect to the servers. It cancels out with an 80010004 error. While this is no concern for me since I don't use it anymore, it's a step in the right direction for the kernel extension program.

Edit: I may have found the reason why it doesn't connect. In the contacts folder which is in the Windows Live folder, wlcomm.exe complains that ordinal 327 cannot be located in dynamic link library OLEAUT32.dll. Whether anyone cares about this or not, I don't know. I would just like to think we could overcome this and be able to use one of the newer version of WLM on Windows 2000. @blackwingcat, if you are at all interested in looking into this issue, I will be more than happy to test it out for you.

Edited by SearanoX

@blackwingcat

These lines DO NOT work:

"regsvr32 /s sccsccp.dll"
"regsvr32 /s msftedit.dll"

The log file:

12.137: Starting process:  regsvr32 /s sccsccp.dll
12.167: Return Code = 4
12.207: Starting process: regsvr32 /s msftedit.dll
12.227: Return Code = 4

I would like to say here, Windows Live Messenger 2009 now runs on Windows 2000, however it seems that it cannot connect to the servers. It cancels out with an 80010004 error. While this is no concern for me since I don't use it anymore, it's a step in the right direction for the kernel extension program.

Edit: I may have found the reason why it doesn't connect. In the contacts folder which is in the Windows Live folder, wlcomm.exe complains that ordinal 327 cannot be located in dynamic link library OLEAUT32.dll. Whether anyone cares about this or not, I don't know. I would just like to think we could overcome this and be able to use one of the newer version of WLM on Windows 2000. @blackwingcat, if you are at all interested in looking into this issue, I will be more than happy to test it out for you.

Thx for information

I implemented the function on v20m3

@blackwingcat It seems that we still have a few problems but I did notice a few functions that several programs I've tested out have in common...would it be possible to add these?

kernel32.dll

FlsAlloc

FlsGetValue

FLSSetValue

FlsFree

IsTNT

shell32.dll

SHCreateItemFromParsingName

SHCreateQueryCancelAutoPlayMoniker

SHGetFolderPathEx

mpr.dll

WNetRestoreConnectionA

uxtheme.dll

DrawThemeTextEx

advapi32.dll

EventRegister

EventUnregister

EventWrite

RegGetValueW

msvcrt.dll

_get_terminate

That's some of the more common ones I've noticed. I know it's a tall order but we might make a few breakthroughs if you're able and willing to add those to the kernel extension project.

Perhaps WNetRestoreConnectionA is old Windows NT Component.

If the function exists, the application will work Windows NT 3.51 Mode.

kernel32.dll

FlsAlloc

FlsGetValue

FLSSetValue

FlsFree

IsTNT

shell32.dll

SHGetFolderPathEx

uxtheme.dll

DrawThemeTextEx

advapi32.dll

EventRegister

EventUnregister

EventWrite

RegGetValueW

the functions are based Windows NT6.

If the function exists, the application will work Windows NT 6.0 Mode.

I think that if these functions are added , Many problems occur.

@blackwingcat It seems that we still have a few problems but I did notice a few functions that several programs I've tested out have in common...would it be possible to add these?

kernel32.dll

FlsAlloc

FlsGetValue

FLSSetValue

FlsFree

IsTNT

shell32.dll

SHCreateQueryCancelAutoPlayMoniker

SHGetFolderPathEx

mpr.dll

WNetRestoreConnectionA

uxtheme.dll

DrawThemeTextEx

advapi32.dll

EventRegister

EventUnregister

EventWrite

RegGetValueW

msvcrt.dll

_get_terminate

That's some of the more common ones I've noticed. I know it's a tall order but we might make a few breakthroughs if you're able and willing to add those to the kernel extension project.

Oh, I see. Well, I get these results when I profile programs in Dependency Walker, some aren't Vista+, some of them are programs designed for Windows XP as well, at least the functions in kernel32.dll that I listed pop up.

Edited by SearanoX

Mpr.dll:WNetRestoreConnectionA exists in Win98se. It is not in my VC5 documentation, so probably does not exist in Win95 nor WinNt 3.51.

A few years ago a number of developers reported it missing in this MSDN thread.

The answer seems to be Q&A #2 in this Dependency Walker FAQ:

Q. Why am I seeing a lot of applications where MPR.DLL shows up in red under SHLWAPI.DLL because it is missing a function named WNetRestoreConnectionA? I also get a "Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module" message.

A. Some versions of SHLWAPI.DLL (like the one on Windows XP) have a delay-load dependency on the function WNetRestoreConnectionA in MPR.DLL. Missing delay-load functions are not a problem as long as the calling DLL is prepared to handle the situation. Dependency Walker flags all potential problems as it cannot detect if an application intends to handle the issue. In the case of SHLWAPI.DLL, this is not an problem as it does not require WNetRestoreConnectionA to exist and handles the missing function at runtime. This warning can be ignored. See the "How to Interpret Warnings and Errors in Dependency Walker" section in help for more details.

Windows Live Messenger 2009 Update

So, I was playing around with it again today and after digging a bit, stupid me found something and remembered....they DO have connection testers in the options menu. So, I decided to run them. Running a TCP test, it appears that I can actually connect to the server and data is able to be sent. So, it tells me I can use the messenger service. Well, no, not really. I put the password in and I get the same error saying that the service is temporarily out of commission. However, the connection troubleshooter caught my eye. Ooooh, let's click that! So, clicking on it and running the tests, which only seem to run part way BUT might be a huge breakthrough, it seems as though *for me anyway* that the default gateway test fails. It says that your gateway is offline. Now whether it's my service...or we're just missing a vital kernel extension, I don't know. However, it seems that may be the trouble we're having for getting it to actually connect to the service.

Edited by SearanoX

I checked packet with WIreshark 1.8.2 when Live Messenger 2009 works on Windows 2000 last week.

It send something but it returns error.

But I don't know it. :no:

Windows Live Messenger 2009 Update

So, I was playing around with it again today and after digging a bit, stupid me found something and remembered....they DO have connection testers in the options menu. So, I decided to run them. Running a TCP test, it appears that I can actually connect to the server and data is able to be sent. So, it tells me I can use the messenger service. Well, no, not really. I put the password in and I get the same error saying that the service is temporarily out of commission. However, the connection troubleshooter caught my eye. Ooooh, let's click that! So, clicking on it and running the tests, which only seem to run part way BUT might be a huge breakthrough, it seems as though *for me anyway* that the default gateway test fails. It says that your gateway is offline. Now whether it's my service...or we're just missing a vital kernel extension, I don't know. However, it seems that may be the trouble we're having for getting it to actually connect to the service.