Requesting Windows 95 Updates, Tools, etc.

LoneCrusader

I'm searching for a specific HotFix file for Windows 95 RTM, ESDI_506.PDR version 4.00.956.

It was part of the original REMIDEUP.EXE (and possibly other packages) before it was later edited to include ESDI_506.PDR version 4.00.1116 instead.

:blink: Wow! That'll be a hard one to get! :wacko:

According to this, you'll need to get a version of REMIDEUP.EXE from before Nov 19, '97!!!

']REMIDEUP.EXE 19 Nov 97 Removable IDE Driver Update

Esdi_506.pdr 4.00.1116 Voltrack.vxd is only installed

Voltrack.vxd 4.00.954 on Windows 95 and Windows 95a

:blink: Wow! That'll be a hard one to get! :wacko:

According to this, you'll need to get a version of REMIDEUP.EXE from before Nov 19, '97!!!

']REMIDEUP.EXE 19 Nov 97 Removable IDE Driver Update

Esdi_506.pdr 4.00.1116 Voltrack.vxd is only installed

Voltrack.vxd 4.00.954 on Windows 95 and Windows 95a

Yikes... :ph34r:

Even this old copy of the MSKB article references the version I need, but then proceeds to claim the package contains 1116.

Last reviewed: March 17, 1998 Article ID: Q160800 The information in this article applies to: Microsoft Windows 95 Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release version 2

SYMPTOMS

When you are using an Intel motherboard with an AMI/Intel BIOS or an Iomega IDE Zip drive installed on the secondary IDE channel, you may receive a "Fatal Exception Error" error message when you start the computer without a disk in the Zip drive or you eject the disk from the Zip drive.

CAUSE

This problem can occur if the following conditions exist: The computer has an IDE removable drive that uses Media Status Notification (the Iomega IDE Zip drive is one such drive). The computer's BIOS unmasks the PIC for the IRQ on the controller on which the drive is located. The drive is accessed with no disk in the drive. The BIOS touches the Alt Status register when an interrupt is vectored to it. When these conditions exist, an interrupt may be reflected to the BIOS, which can cause a fault.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Windows 95. An update to address this problem is now available, but is not fully regression tested and should be applied only to computers experiencing this specific problem. Unless you are severely impacted by this specific problem, Microsoft does not recommend implementing this update at this time. This issue is resolved by the following updated files for Windows 95:

Esdi_506.pdr version 4.00.956 (dated 5/14/96) and later Voltrack.vxd version 4.00.954 (dated 3/6/96) and later

To install this update, follow these steps:

1.Download the Remideup.exe file from the online service listed below to an empty folder.

2.In My Computer or Windows Explorer, double-click the Remideup.exe file you downloaded in step 1.

3.Follow the instructions on the screen.

The following file(s) are available for download from the Microsoft Software Library: ~ remideup.exe (size: 147096 bytes)

For more information about downloading files from the Microsoft Software Library, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: Q119591 TITLE : How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services

The following files are installed by Remideup.exe:

File name Version Date/Time Size Destination folder

---------------------

Esdi_506.pdr 4.00.1116 8/25/97 11:16a 24,426 Windows\System\Iosubsys

Voltrack.vxd 4.00.954 3/6/96 9:54a 18,518 Windows\System\Iosubsys

NOTE: The Voltrack.vxd file is installed on Windows 95 computers only. This file is not installed on computers running OSR2.

It appears to still exist inside Nest.zip, a superseded driver still present at the DriverGuide.

But since they now refuse to let one download without installing their Downloader, I'll not be able to download it to ascertain whether the old remideup.exe is truly there.

I'd have to back-up my system, download, then restore my back-up image to remove the last trace of DriverGuide's crappy downloader... I'm sorry but I don't have the needed spare time to do it right now.

It appears to still exist inside Nest.zip, a superceeded driver still present at the DriverGuide.

But since they now refuse to let one download without installing their Downloader, I'll not be able to download it to ascertain whether the old remideup.exe is truly there.

I'd have to back-up my system, download, then restore my back-up image to remove the last trace of DriverGuide's crappy downloader... I'm sorry but I don't have the needed spare time to do it right now.

:w00t:

No problem. I have a VM specifically for that. :lol:

Thanks for the link, on my way to get it and investigate.

OK. Keep me posted, please.

:no:

It contains ESDI_506.PDR version 4.00.1112. :(

EDIT:

Ugh, who knows how many "updates" REMIDEUP.EXE has gone through. :wacko: :wacko:

This is an earlier copy of a KB article about it. With a different KB number, and references to even earlier versions for 95 RTM, but still listing the 1116 version.

Edited by LoneCrusader

:no:

It contains ESDI_506.PDR version 4.00.1112. :(

:(

EDIT:

Ugh, who knows how many "updates" REMIDEUP.EXE has gone through. :wacko: :wacko:

This is an earlier copy of a KB article about it. With a different KB number, and references to even earlier versions for 95 RTM, but still listing the 1116 version.

The one with v. 1116 is easy to find: it seems to be the last. It has CRC32: C90D2429 and MD5: CFF50F370D3A5D050DA7158728CF7A37 and it's size is 147,096 bytes.

The one with v. 1116 is easy to find: it seems to be the last. It has CRC32: C90D2429 and MD5: CFF50F370D3A5D050DA7158728CF7A37 and it's size is 147,096 bytes.

Yes, I think I already ended up with 7 copies of that one. :lol:

Problem is that version is completely useless, unless the included VOLTRACK.VXD is the last version for 95 RTM.

MS apparently issued 1116 for RTM and OSR2, but it does not solve the "Windows Protection Error" on fast CPUs. 1118 was issued for this, once again in packages for both RTM (FLOPUPD5.EXE) and OSR2 (AMDK6UPD.EXE). However, while 1118 and the final 1119 work fine on OSR2, they cause crashes on 95 RTM.

EDIT:

Incorrect information struck through. 1119 and 1119 work on 95 RTM.

Edited by LoneCrusader

celebrate14.gif Got it!

It's inside zipremid... accept the agreement, download it and use 7-zip to open it. Inside there's a remideup folder, containing the unpacked remideup files and a further copy of the original remideup.exe. B)

It's inside zipremid... accept the agreement, download it and use 7-zip to open it. Inside there's a remideup folder, containing the unpacked remideup files and a further copy of the original remideup.exe. B)

:o

It seems to be version 4.00.954 rather than 956 :(

But it's definitely a big step in the right direction. At least it is in the RTM .95x codebase rather than the OSR2 .111x one. :angel

I found it. Turns out that particular version is actually buried in a folder on the 95 OSR 2.5 CDROM... in the same folder with a copy of the newer REMIDEUP.EXE. :blink:

So it may actually have never been in REMIDEUP.EXE at all, even though the various KB articles linked with REMIDEUP.EXE refer to version 4.00.956.

Thanks for the help! :thumbup

Edited by LoneCrusader

I found it. Turns out that particular version is actually buried in a folder on the 95 OSR 2.5 CDROM...

I confirm it: it's at <other\updates\voltrack\>... so we both had it all the while!!! :D

And it's inside ideup.exe, on the same folder, too: and that may be a preserved renamed version of the particular remideup.exp we were after...

I confirm it: it's at <other\updates\voltrack\>... so we both had it all the while!!! :D

And it's inside ideup.exe, on the same folder, too: and that may be a preserved renamed version of the particular remideup.exp we were after...

Now I feel like a fool :blushing: but I never expected to find a 95 RTM HotFix on the 95C CD... Who knows, it's Microsoft after all. :rolleyes:

O4CripeSake! I looked for it too for you. Yep, right there next to the USB folder.

I figured you or jaclaz would turn it up about the time the rest of us had given up... :lol:

• 1 year later...

does anyone have a list of official updates that were issued for windows 95 osr 2.5 ( version c )? i have acquired almost all updates i believe but i would like to make sure i have the right updates, espicially the right dates because i already have an existing checklist document i made for myself of all released updates / hotfixes and i wanna make sure that the updates are installed in the right order. i was gonna make a new thread for this but i thought it would be more appropriate to just bump this thread. i think there may be a few updates that i acquired that may not be legit or not the exact ones that microsoft released or some of them are not necessary maybe. 

other than making sure i have the right updates and all of them, i would also like to try to fix some issues i have had within the operating system. one problem being an illegal operation in firefox 2.0.0.20 which happens after asking for certificates over and over. i tried to make the browser automatically accept certificates but it still does the same thing. i also found that youtube would give the illegal operation error and sites like oldapps or oldversion would give the "disallowed key characters" message and files would not download, to fix this, i had to disable allowing cookies for all sites except for youtube.com in the exception list. of course, the illegal operation errors still comes when i first load the browser on certain sites, but after going on them and accepting the certificates several times, the errors seem to go away. i was wondering if people had similar issues and what routes they used to fix them.  

one thing i would like to accomplish is getting a higher resolution from the video card / monitor. the computer im working on has a geforce ti 200 64 MB video card and the max resolution is only 1024 x 768 i believe, but i feel like its a little small for some websites in displaying information and in general and i would like to see if its possible to get it to a higher one such as 1366x768. i tried to download the monitor driver and it actually installed through device manager, its a lcd 18.5 inch widescreen monitor made my samsung, so fairly modern. however, that didnt really do anything i believe, i was still not able to access any other resolutions past 1024x768.