Requesting Windows 95 Updates, Tools, etc.

LoneCrusader

does anyone have a list of official updates that were issued for windows 95 osr 2.5 ( version c )? i have acquired almost all updates i believe but i would like to make sure i have the right updates, espicially the right dates because i already have an existing checklist document i made for myself of all released updates / hotfixes and i wanna make sure that the updates are installed in the right order. i was gonna make a new thread for this but i thought it would be more appropriate to just bump this thread. i think there may be a few updates that i acquired that may not be legit or not the exact ones that microsoft released or some of them are not necessary maybe.

I never got around to compiling a list beyond what is listed already in this thread, either in my posts or in the various linked pages. I doubt that you will find a more thorough attempt at this anywhere else, because even here at MSFN Windows 95 is followed and used by only a small handful of users compared to the 98/ME crowd. If you want to provide a list of what you have it might help in figuring out what you are lacking, if anything, and may provide some information that is lacking here if I have not covered everything.

other than making sure i have the right updates and all of them, i would also like to try to fix some issues i have had within the operating system. one problem being an illegal operation in firefox 2.0.0.20 which happens after asking for certificates over and over. i tried to make the browser automatically accept certificates but it still does the same thing. i also found that youtube would give the illegal operation error and sites like oldapps or oldversion would give the "disallowed key characters" message and files would not download, to fix this, i had to disable allowing cookies for all sites except for youtube.com in the exception list. of course, the illegal operation errors still comes when i first load the browser on certain sites, but after going on them and accepting the certificates several times, the errors seem to go away. i was wondering if people had similar issues and what routes they used to fix them.

When installing Firefox 2 on Windows 95 you should do as many updates as you can first, and then you have to take some careful steps when running the installer and BEFORE running Firefox. There are a couple of threads out there about this, but some of them take unnecessary steps. Here's a set of instructions I wrote down some time ago for making it work.

Install Firefox 2.0.0.x on Windows 951. Update Windows 95 with Microsoft updates to the fullest extent possible.i.e. - DCOM, DX8a, DUN14-95, IE4.01 SP1, IE5.5 SP2, WINSOCK2, & others2. Run the Firefox 2.0.0.x installer, choose Custom Install, uncheck:"DOM Inspector" and "Quality Feedback Agent"3. BEFORE RUNNING FIREFOX - Go to Start > Find > Files or Folders - search for"nsSearchService.js" and "nsSafebrowsingApplication.js"Delete both of these files.4. Run Firefox, it will ask to import settings from Internet Explorer, choose"Don't Import Anything"5. Install Addons and Plugins as usual.

Once you have done this see this thread for Flash issues.

one thing i would like to accomplish is getting a higher resolution from the video card / monitor. the computer im working on has a geforce ti 200 64 MB video card and the max resolution is only 1024 x 768 i believe, but i feel like its a little small for some websites in displaying information and in general and i would like to see if its possible to get it to a higher one such as 1366x768. i tried to download the monitor driver and it actually installed through device manager, its a lcd 18.5 inch widescreen monitor made my samsung, so fairly modern. however, that didnt really do anything i believe, i was still not able to access any other resolutions past 1024x768.

I can't help you here; if your video card cannot produce higher resolutions then there's no way around it unless you replace the card. There's an outside chance a program such as PowerStrip might help you, but I have no experience with it.

Maybe the video driver (the .inf, more exactly) can be edited to add nonstandard (at the time) resolutions such as 16:9, the way it was/is with the unofficial 82.69 driver. A 64MB video card should theoretically be able to go as high as 1866x1050x32bit with the proper driver but it's always a matter of native monitor resolution. Ironic how the newest technology keeps crippling the abilities of the devices - put two monitors side by side, a CRT and an LCD/LED,throw the same 640x480 picture on both and see which one displays better.

Can't help with the other issues but LoneCrusader seems to be on the right track. Good luck!

does anyone have a list of official updates that were issued for windows 95 osr 2.5 ( version c )? i have acquired almost all updates i believe but i would like to make sure i have the right updates, espicially the right dates because i already have an existing checklist document i made for myself of all released updates / hotfixes and i wanna make sure that the updates are installed in the right order. i was gonna make a new thread for this but i thought it would be more appropriate to just bump this thread. i think there may be a few updates that i acquired that may not be legit or not the exact ones that microsoft released or some of them are not necessary maybe.

I never got around to compiling a list beyond what is listed already in this thread, either in my posts or in the various linked pages. I doubt that you will find a more thorough attempt at this anywhere else, because even here at MSFN Windows 95 is followed and used by only a small handful of users compared to the 98/ME crowd. If you want to provide a list of what you have it might help in figuring out what you are lacking, if anything, and may provide some information that is lacking here if I have not covered everything.

other than making sure i have the right updates and all of them, i would also like to try to fix some issues i have had within the operating system. one problem being an illegal operation in firefox 2.0.0.20 which happens after asking for certificates over and over. i tried to make the browser automatically accept certificates but it still does the same thing. i also found that youtube would give the illegal operation error and sites like oldapps or oldversion would give the "disallowed key characters" message and files would not download, to fix this, i had to disable allowing cookies for all sites except for youtube.com in the exception list. of course, the illegal operation errors still comes when i first load the browser on certain sites, but after going on them and accepting the certificates several times, the errors seem to go away. i was wondering if people had similar issues and what routes they used to fix them.

When installing Firefox 2 on Windows 95 you should do as many updates as you can first, and then you have to take some careful steps when running the installer and BEFORE running Firefox. There are a couple of threads out there about this, but some of them take unnecessary steps. Here's a set of instructions I wrote down some time ago for making it work.

Install Firefox 2.0.0.x on Windows 951. Update Windows 95 with Microsoft updates to the fullest extent possible.i.e. - DCOM, DX8a, DUN14-95, IE4.01 SP1, IE5.5 SP2, WINSOCK2, & others2. Run the Firefox 2.0.0.x installer, choose Custom Install, uncheck:"DOM Inspector" and "Quality Feedback Agent"3. BEFORE RUNNING FIREFOX - Go to Start > Find > Files or Folders - search for"nsSearchService.js" and "nsSafebrowsingApplication.js"Delete both of these files.4. Run Firefox, it will ask to import settings from Internet Explorer, choose"Don't Import Anything"5. Install Addons and Plugins as usual.

Once you have done this see this thread for Flash issues.

one thing i would like to accomplish is getting a higher resolution from the video card / monitor. the computer im working on has a geforce ti 200 64 MB video card and the max resolution is only 1024 x 768 i believe, but i feel like its a little small for some websites in displaying information and in general and i would like to see if its possible to get it to a higher one such as 1366x768. i tried to download the monitor driver and it actually installed through device manager, its a lcd 18.5 inch widescreen monitor made my samsung, so fairly modern. however, that didnt really do anything i believe, i was still not able to access any other resolutions past 1024x768.

I can't help you here; if your video card cannot produce higher resolutions then there's no way around it unless you replace the card. There's an outside chance a program such as PowerStrip might help you, but I have no experience with it.

i did apply all those steps you mentioned in order to install and make firefox 2.0.0.20 to work. i may give powerstrip a try but the resolution problem is just an optional thing so that is the least problem. for the updates folder i have, i have 59 collected, but i do also have some on the side not in that specific folder with the 59 updates which includes directx 8.0a, ms config ( windows 98 version for use on windows 95 ), cleanmgr ( disc cleanup from windows 98 on windows 95 ), and others. 

here is the list of just the 59 updates below, they are not in order, just listed, also, if your not sure on a certain update, i may have more information of the specific update like if its a security update, critical update, etc, oh and i forgot to the mention that there were a few updates that i removed because they simply didnt work or were not applicable for my system  -

2_4date         

50comupd         

168115us5     

236926usa5

238453US5

245729us5

249070USA5

249973USA5

256015USA5

259728usa5

265334US5

266772USA5

273727USA5

273991USA5

CDVSDUPD

crlupd

DC95Inst

dcm9xCfg

DISKUPD

dlc32upd

dun14-95

DX904706

FrancFix

hhupd

instmsi

Jet40SP8_9xNT

mdac26sp1

MSAA_13_SDK

msdun12

msdun13

msxml3

nwredup4

OAINST

prnt5upd

Q175629

q240308

Q245213

q329414

remideup

ROOTSUPD

secupd2

SOCKSVUP

speu

SYSDMUPD

unicows

VC6RedistSetup_enu

vipup11

vipup20

VPWRUPD

vrdrupd

vtdapi95

w95filup

W95ws2setup

WM9Codecs9x

wmi9x

wmp6cdcs

wmv9VCMsetup

WPNPINS

y2kvdhcp

... for the updates folder i have, i have 59 collected, but i do also have some on the side not in that specific folder with the 59 updates which includes directx 8.0a, ms config ( windows 98 version for use on windows 95 ), cleanmgr ( disc cleanup from windows 98 on windows 95 ), and others. 

here is the list of just the 59 updates below...

The better portion of those updates are listed in my first post in this thread.

Out of your list, these were not listed specifically by me previously:

238453US5

249973USA5

259728usa5

265334US5

273991USA5

crlupd

dcm9xCfg

FrancFix

Jet40SP8_9xNT

mdac26sp1

msdun12

msdun13

msxml3

OAINST

q240308

q329414

remideup

ROOTSUPD

speu

VC6RedistSetup_enu

vipup20

w95filup

wmi9x

wmp6cdcs

y2kvdhcp

However a good many of these are either superseded by a later update (ex. msdun12, msdun13), installs as part of another package (ex. OAINST), possibly irrelevant depending on your system configuration (ex. wmi9x, wmp6cdcs), or apply to an "external component" (ex. Jet, MDAC, MSXML); these I would put in the category of DirectX/etc, as being separate add-on packages - this makes sorting the updates much simpler.

The best advice I can give you is to have a look at the list of file versions given by Petr that I linked to in my first post. Extract the updated files from each HotFix package (ex. 238453US5) using WinZip, WinRAR, etc, and compare the file version of the updated file inside to Petr's list to determine whether or not you have the last available version. If an update contains only one file that is later superseded by another update, you can safely ignore that update and use the later one.

Check out MDGx's website for most of the updates I listed in my first post if you don't have them. If you have a question about a specific update, post it here and we will try to help. I did find several packages and updates that I did not have previously thanks to your list. :thumbup

Edited by LoneCrusader

i did do the unzipping of certain updates before using winrar to check the file dates, but i couldn't decipher whether or not the updates were 100 percent for ors 2.5 or later, or older because some of the files located in the unzipped updates were older, such as 1996, some were slightly newer than the distribution of osr 2.5 which i believe would be 4-23-1997, this made me think that they may have been for osr 2.1 or older possibly, regardless, i just kept these updates because if they installed and i did not see any immediate problems afterwards, than that was just enough to keep them. im assuming that any updates that have a date newer than 4-23-1997 for at least one of the files in them would make them for osr 2.5 too and even the worst thing that can happen is that if you try to install an update that is already installed, it won't install twice, windows 95 will automatically check and see if it already has the update and will tell you? 

i did also use mdgx's website and acquired some stuff from there, some of them being unoffcial ones, such as the updated scandisk from windows me. 

you mentioned that oainst installs with msdun12 or 13? so i would not need the individual update oainst?

i did do the unzipping of certain updates before using winrar to check the file dates, but i couldn't decipher whether or not the updates were 100 percent for ors 2.5 or later, or older because some of the files located in the unzipped updates were older, such as 1996, some were slightly newer than the distribution of osr 2.5 which i believe would be 4-23-1997, this made me think that they may have been for osr 2.1 or older possibly, regardless, i just kept these updates because if they installed and i did not see any immediate problems afterwards, than that was just enough to keep them. im assuming that any updates that have a date newer than 4-23-1997 for at least one of the files in them would make them for osr 2.5 too and even the worst thing that can happen is that if you try to install an update that is already installed, it won't install twice, windows 95 will automatically check and see if it already has the update and will tell you?

Windows 95C OSR 2.5 is actually EXACTLY the same as 95B OSR 2 and 95B OSR 2.1 when installed except for a small handful of updated files dropped into the \win95 folder to be picked up and override the older version inside the .CABs during installation. No new set of CABs was built for 95C OSR 2.5. See this.

So what makes OSR 2.5 different?

It contains an updated VMM32.VXD that corrects memory management errors with some Pentium processors and it force-installs Internet Explorer 4.0.

Other than these two points, 95C=95B.

The 95C CDROM includes later versions of the USB Support supplement than the 95B CDROM, but these are stand-alone packages that must be manually installed, and they can be applied to 95B as well as 95C.

So, the point of this is that all updates for OSR 2.x apply to all versions of OSR 2.x. The only update you should purposely exclude is Q179897 (VMM.VXD 4.00.1113/4.03.1216), since it is in OSR 2.5 already, and once USB Support is added it will be further updated anyway, superseding Q179897 with Q247965 (VMM.VXD 4.03.1217) if my XUSBSUPP patch is used (I highly recommend this - the original official Microsoft USB updates for 95 are a mess).

Now, as for deciding which files are newer, you have to check the actual versions of the files, not just the timestamps. Timestamps are a very unreliable method for comparing files as they can easily be altered, even unintentionally. For each new file, right click on it and inspect its Properties pages. Original files should mostly be versioned 4.00.950 or 4.00.1111. Updates are usually 4.00.951 or 4.00.1112 and up, etc.

i did also use mdgx's website and acquired some stuff from there, some of them being unoffcial ones, such as the updated scandisk from windows me.

you mentioned that oainst installs with msdun12 or 13? so i would not need the individual update oainst?

No, I said that msdun12 and msdun13 (Dial-Up Networking 1.2 and 1.3) were superseded. They are superseded by dun14-95 (1.4). There should be no need to install 1.2 and 1.3 when you have 1.4.

Many of the HotFixes you have included files that were later replaced again by another update containing a higher versioned file. This is why you must compare versions; it isn't ALWAYS correct for every file, but it is MOSTLY correct.

OAINST installs as part of either W95Y2K, and/or DCOM95, and/or Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 I believe.. maybe all 3. I don't remember offhand and I'm not in front of my project computer at the moment.

ok, thanks for the info. for some wierd reason though, i was not able to get the winsock to install with or without dun14-95 installed first, that is why you see the older updates i mentioned, msdun12 and 13. i had to always install msdun12 before winsock 2 or winsock would get corrupt and simply wouldnt install, i also like to have the updates installed in the way they were released as if this was in the time that the operating system was supported and just released the specific updates for the first time and this way gave me the least problems so far and that is why i have them. i will be removing oainst as i never had a problem with how that installed, like you said, it will install anyways with either w95y2k and / or dcom95, ie 5.5 sp2, i have all 3. 

other than that, windows 95 did give me the most problems in general, always giving strange errors such as illegal operations, out of memory messages, even if i limited the minfilecache and maxfilecache to 0 and maxphyspage to 480 MB, i originally keep it at 920 MB. i reinstalled the os today for like the millionth time because i like to start fresh always and i just don't know have the expertise of dealing with problems one by one in the system as it takes too long for me to usually fix the problem but for some reason, the ip settings or something to do with winsock did not get installed right because even after installing the wifi card drivers for the cisco 350 pci lan card, it still wouldn't connect to the internet, and winipcfg would give error messages so it was not possible to release and renew ip addresses. 

another thing wierd is that for a lot of devices in device manager, i had to manually copy system files beforehand because the wizard would keep asking for certain system, dll, etc files from certain cab folders of the windows 95 disk, but i never had the ability to access these files because the wizard only gives the option of selecting paths that you previously used to search for drivers in certain folders, so the only way to install all drivers and system files was to put them in the SAME folder of the driver so that it automatically installs the necessary files. i don't know if this is a problem with windows 95 / 98 as an operating system and other people experience a lot, or it has something to do with problems with first installing the os causes these issues? 

another problem is that the graphics card on some installations has a resources conflict with the pci standard pci-to-pci bridge, but still works fine..., but when you try to go change the resources so that there is no conflicts, it actually messes up the display adapter and resolution goes back to the lowest resolution without the driver. 

for now, im taking a break and do plan on reinstalling the os, but if there is something that im specifically missing or not doing right, please let me know, im open to new info that can easily fix the issues im having. but wow, i do have to say that windows 95 and even 98 are really picky lol.

• 2 years later...