INDESTRUCTIBLE OS? Yes.

I have been researching into a new technology that is simply amazing. Its by Faronics and is called "Deep Freeze". Many schools use it and some of their other software to make their computers totally indestructable by anything a student can do to it. A simple reboot and all changes, including malware, spyware, viruses, hi-jackers... are all gone. Certain folders are used to store files that you need to save like pictures, emails, documents and downloads, but the rest is destroyed and the computer is exactly the way you left it the last time you rebooted. You can visit any site, run any executable, and totally screw everything up, and you just reboot to fix it ALL. You turn it off to install new stuff and change settings of things like screen savers and desktops, then turn it on and nothing will affect the computer. It is so ingenious that you would never need an antivirus or malware remover again. Acronis is using the technology with their backups and it is like sandboxie only a bigger scale and with password security so no one can change it or turn it off. This should have been invented when Bill gates was a kid, and implemented years ago, and there would be no malware or viruses because no one could damage anyone computers with them. What do you guys think? I have read about it and the program can be used to protect thousands of computers on huge networks. It sounds too good to be true. They make a personal computer edition. I am using the Acronis "Try and Decide" version of the idea and it is amazing, but I want the "Deep Freeze" one because they have a few more sweet security options I wanna try... Anyone see any disadvantages?

The Deep Freeze Website

He's a spammer guys. Surprised his threads are still up.

Maybe not :unsure:, of his 4 posts two seem like spam for DeepFreeze - and I dont think that Faronics needs spammers - their product is re-known since years (by everyone, exception made, apparently, for Xntryk1) the other two seem more like the kind:

"I have nothing better to do than to post some vague information I am not sure about"

or:

"I am seriously confused and think that MSFN is my Blog or anyway a place to express my disappointment on how really DIFFICULT using Linux is"

jaclaz

Okay I will settle down. I did think it sounded like spam, and maybe it was out for a while, but hey if you never saw the movie it's new to you. I thought it was a great idea. In fact after installing my windows OS a few times I thought it was amazing. I didnt have to keep setting symantec global exceptions every time, missing backups, it was frustrating. Sorry. And I was told about Linux and I remember the fun I had learning windows the first few months of my new computer, and thought it would be as fun to try linux. But obviously I will need to get into it better. And yes the MSN thing was random, and useless, but hey I was just kinda jumping in lightly you know? Just because a person is new... Oh hell I know the noob thing, and how ignorant people can get, hell it's easier than being nice! I've done it myself, so... I understand. I have been on forums where there are people who spend what seems like thier entire lives devoted to the forum, and could not possibly have time to learn what they talk about due to the fact they are always posting. They live for the rush... gotta answer every post first... get that status as forum God up to the top. Oh well. Some forums are run by the admins, and that is all that ever gets a chance to discuss anything. imperfect answers and humorous banter is quickly cut down and the person is stripped of thier dignity. Or, a newb will ask a question and the threads go on forever with the admins talking about god knows what until its 300 threads long and the original subject is about some 5 year old problem.

I am no spammer. I thought I found God's gift to the Windows security bul*****. And it is serious bull f'n s***. I fix computers. I fix a lot, and most of it is malware, human error, then software error in that order. How many of you super heros have taken a friends laptop home to fix then wish you hadn't when you realize you spent 18 hours on it and your getting a six pack for doing it? Or you end up l;osing all his pictures, or something. I think the deep freeze technology is cool. Thats all. You super tweakers... well thanks for being who you are, cause I love my cell phone, and computer and camera.... without you I would not have them. So shut that bedroom door and keep plugging away.

@Xntryk1

I guess you are missing the point of my previous post.

The idea is that if you think that something is "new technology", you check if it is BEFORE posting the "news" on a place where the technology is re-known since years.

Like:

http://tinyurl.com/2b823s7

This way you avoid giving the impression of being a spammer AND you look a lot less like a n00b. :)

Since MSFN is (rightfully) very strongly oriented AGAINST SPAM and SPAMMERS, you risked being banned (while being in perfect good faith),

In this particular case, had you not also posted the other two (IMHO senseless) posts I cited, you REALLY risked it.

Anyway, if you re-read the mentioned posts, one of which needlessly bumping a two years old thread, can you explain to me which contribution to the Community was intended in them? :unsure:

The first one does NOT help in any way to solve the OP problem, the second only tells us that you are not familiar with Linux and that you are frustrated by this (something that I personally rate as having very little relevance to other members),

The friendly advice :) is to post meaningful things in the future and think before posting, that's all.

jaclaz

Okay, maybe this isn't the forum I quite thought it was... I understand the spamming rules, I hate it too. You all seem to love the piracy part of hacking windows tho, as I was reading about many ways to keep windows 7 going... but you are all very knowledgeable and the info here is very good so let me stay and I will be good. I won't make useless comments and will only ask questions or comment on things I know from now on. I will be a good n00b but not an annoying one. BTW what DO you think of this program in place of anti spyware and anti virus programs, and why do you think that way? Serious question here. Maybe try to get past my evil past and throw me an answer.... I just want to hear any negatives about using that technology because I think its a positive and sounds simple and perfect. .

Okay, maybe this isn't the forum I quite thought it was... [snip] You all seem to love the piracy part of hacking windows tho, as I was reading about many ways to keep windows 7 going...

Perhaps it indeed isn't the type of forum you think this is. There is NO piracy going on here. Every single member of the mod team will promptly ban anyone who posts that kind of stuff around here.

I wouldn't personally use DeepFreeze even if it was free (or built in to the OS, or even open source), but you're perfectly entitled to like it.

About deepfreeze, I have used it some years ago, it seemed to be working all right, though I vaguely remember that a few times , most probably due to users being smarter than what the Faronics guys (or myself :blushing: ) were expecting, it crashed, and when it did (as said in RARE occasions), it did crash badly. :(

I would say it is a handy solution for shared computers, like a lab or an internet point, but I personally prefer the more traditional approach of anti-virus, etc. as while the system is NOT reset, anything could spread nonetheless to the newtwork. :unsure:

All in all I would say a good app, for a limited, targeted number of uses.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I've had some experience with Deep Freeze as well but I didn't like it very much. The Ram-Overlay option in XP Embedded (haven't tried W7WES yet) seems to be a better option for my tastes. Another option would be using the thin/thick client solution provided my Microsoft, but the name escapes me at the moment.

PS: I wanted to add that I have successully defeated a system with Deep Freeze and an XPe with Ram-Overlay. Neither is perfect. Thin Clients may be the most secure, I haven't tried breaking one of those yet.