Portable Windows 7 build from Winpe 3.0

Kullenen_Ask

Check your system.hiv that contains system\controlset\control\product options as "Terminal Server"

http://hotfile.com/dl/129714991/552db7e/acb.reg.html

Hi Kullenen_Ask,

I have been tracking the thread for quite some time, and certainly learnt a lot from it! thank you for your fantastic work.

Like you said, I don't want to use any canned PE build and determined to construct my own PE containing all and only components that I want. I'm almost done, but I encountered a problem that I can't seem to solve:There are a bunch of services that cannot be started, and the message is:

"System error 1297 has occurred.

A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration.

You may use the Service Microsoft Management Console (MMD) snap-in (service.msc) and the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration."

i don't understand how this can happen in WinPE -- have you actually started Tapisrv and termservice services? I mean actually see them in the status of "Started"? I can't seem to start them but otherwise the system look ok (I don't see any non-functioning problem, but I didn't try pppoe etc because i don't have a modem).

Thanks in advance.

lianzi2000

A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration.

You forgot to add your service to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost]. Change that key with normal windows 7 one. I should wrote it a few times in this topic.

Other question is yes.

You forgot to add your service to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost]. Change that key with normal windows 7 one. I should wrote it a few times in this topic.

Other question is yes.

But I did. I tried to copy the reg key from install.wim and from the currently running win7, still no luck. I ran regedit from PE and confirmed the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost] is the same as normal win7, tapisrv service appears in two places: under "netsvcs" and "NetworkService". procmon does not give any useful information.

Besides this strange problem, there is a minor problem with the ShellHWDetection service: although I set the "Start" option to "2" (auto), it won't start. even if I manually start it, it immediately stop without an error message ("the service did not return an error"). I have to do a "Scan for new hardware" in the device manager window to let it start -- Using "devcon.exe rescan" or "wpeinit.exe" to replace device manager won't work.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep working on it

lianzi2000

tapisrv and PPPoE are working in Make_PE3

See file PE3-SYSTEM_WLAN.reg in Make_PE3\PE3_mod\PE3_reg\x86

; RasMan + ShellHWDetection + SstpSvc + TapiSrv services needed for Broadband PPPoE - ADSL Connect
; PPPoE package Support - Added Oct 26, 2010
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE3-SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Winlogon\Notifications\Components\Sens]

Other question is yes.

I got it -- the eventlog service was not configured correctly. I fixed it and now everything is working properly

Other question is yes.

I got it -- the eventlog service was not configured correctly. I fixed it and now everything is working properly

Damit, still not working. Somehow it worked for a moment then the same error occurred. Must be something not configured right.

• 10 months later...

After a long time, i worked on windows 8.1 pe. Until now nobody could discover how to run metro ui under winpe 8 and i do not expect in short time anybody to discover (also i do not). Microsoft does not want us to use winpe as an operating system that they also canceled profiling under winpe 5.0 and getting everything harder (at least for me, it is now difficult to reduce system). So i go on other ways like running the reduced OS from Ram. This movie is a Windows 8.1 (360mb boot.wim) running from X: ram drive. It is not a Winpe. It auto logins as Administrator. I have spend lots of time to get it boot and did not spend any time to get perfect. Functionalities are just by luck because need to investigate files one by one to get some functions to work. Also made x64 version of it and it has same problems. I could not find a good program to record so i used teamviewer session for to make screen capture.

At the time of writing main problems.

1-) Admin account "Getting ready your desktop" phase takes too much time. There should be some problem of copy default user profile to under admin account or starting the explorer shell should have some problems.

2-)Everytime running a program it pop ups and complains about signitures.

3-)Internet explorer not works.

4-)Media player not runs movies :) (a few files missing)

Here is a little "how to" in a chineese web site (can translate with google). I do not know if it will be helpfull for you. I can not say i read and i did. There is not much information.

http://bbs.wuyou.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=316491&extra=page%3D2

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

At the time of writing main problems.

1-) Admin account "Getting ready your desktop" phase takes too much time. There should be some problem of copy default user profile to under admin account or starting the explorer shell should have some problems.

I wonder if it is all possible to run a boot trace on this frankenOS you have made for yourself. :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158252-trace-why-windows-8-boots-shutsdown-or-hibernates-slowly/

I tried Win8.1PE, but I have not had success with the classic methods.
It is possible to do something with BSExplorer or other docks but it is difficult with explorer and the taskbar among other. Therefore less interesting than Win7, Win8PE.
Microsoft has locked even further its system so that it is not used as OS, Indeed.

I also followed this Chinese topic, with google translate, it is not really easy to follow or participate.
This lightweight Win8.1 Ram OS seems to be an interesting way to explore. Thank you to show it.
I also tried but without going further and without Modern apps that I avoid.

Do you have the wireless connection in your build test and for apps popups, have you tried by disabling UAC ?
Why do you say it is not a PE ? install.wim registry as base, enable administrator account, but otherwise it remains quite similar, it seems to me.

Good research, have fun :)

There is wireless connection in build and can be seen from the screen records. After disable UAC metro apps complain need to open UAC. Because of that UAC is open. It is not a pe because there is no winpe registry in it. All the registry is from a real operating system. Also wpeshell not works at boot and winpe related, wininit, wpeutil etc.. not works and not needed.

This is more interesting than windows 7 ram boot os. Because in windows 7 ram boot os, at boot dinotify.exe runs and there is lots of new device found popups and driver loading takes too much time. After all devices loaded there is popup that need to reboot windows. Also volsnap service try to load its storage driver again and it complains that old driver in memory and fails. Because of that i could not find a way to drives can be show up in explorer. I deleted volsnap inf services but no luck.

In windows 8 ram os. All drivers loads with the speed of lightning, There is no new device founded popups also no reboot needed popoup. There is no drvload.exe lags. Also drives can be seen after boot. Probably new volsnap driver is better than windows 7 one.

Thank you and agree for PE vs Ram OS from this point of view but from a user standpoint (without looking the technique), the use is a quite similar.

I tested quickly but I have not had enough time to test further on my side.
And not enough rearview to see the full interest of this lightweight win8 Ram OS with the full registry (slightly modified) and the administrator account, compared to a PE.
It seems seems really nice at first sight and you seem to confirm. So, to follow :)

• 1 month later...

Latest news from winpe development.

First photo is from a windows 8 ramos. It has classic windows 7 shell for to keep it small. It can boot to system and admin users. Only changing "HKLM\System\Setup\cmdline=winpeshl.exe" and i use "HKLM\System\Setup\SetupType=2". It has nearly all windows drivers and most of the services. Mediaplayer, wireless, recovery environment, photo viewer all exist it its small size 226mb. Media player capable to play Divx and MP4.

th_win8classic.png

Other one is windows 8.1 ram os. It has all of the above one + new start menu + flash 253mb.

th_win81_1.png

th_win81_2.png

Unlike Windows 7 PE, i could not get device center to work ever. Also metro apps and store not works.

Micro 8 150MB

bth_8micro.png

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

Hi kullenen-ask

Your Windpws8.1 RAM OS looks great. Will you please give us a small guide on how to do it manually. I means which files needed to be added, which registry keys needed to be imported/Modified etc.

Thanks in advance .