Portable Windows 7 build from Winpe 3.0

Kullenen_Ask

I just downloaded new Windows 8 Developer Preview today. WITHOUT installing it to anywhere i started to work on WinPE works. Until now my previous posts continue to work at WinPE 4.0 (i do not know what they call yet). They are all just a few hours of work and very newly. I can not give much info file list registry etc. stuff. Fresh screenshot.

th_win8.jpg

What is new?

1-)There is no need any service. Ux.exe or patch something. Aero is default. I did not see old classic theme.

2-)Assembly folder very small, also at Windows 8.Can result smaller winpe's.

3-)I think directx11 will be need and default.

4-)My mouse not works :( I do not see cursor. But it is there.

5-)Winpe 4.0 boots always as administrator. I think there is no more System user booting

Some needed files for to start explorer it complains missing:

d3d11.dll

twinapi.dll

dcomp.dll

d2d1.dll

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

I do not understand why there will not be a x86 Winpe (as i understand from the topic you mention) This is x86 im my photos.

Yes but that is the initial size. I haven't tried it yet, but further along you'll see the final size is about 500MB or something. That is still a lot bigger than the current PE sizes I deal with, which is less than 300MB for a 64bit WinPE.

Hard to believe less than 300Mb for a x64. Probably no x86 support and only a command prompt or pure explorer.

It is 530 mb but as i said it has all the files from system32, .net, and assembly folders. I did that because i want to use profilling to decrease size and to find the really used files. But for a winpe such like that is very little because has all files. I have'nt had such small when copied all the files of windows 7 in same manner.

I use imagex and dism from versions vista,win7 sp0, win7 sp1, win8. I found that when using commands, version mismatch causes some problems, forgot about that. But i have to use because of resource problems with my pc. Working on Xp.

Hımm. I just saw that. Thank you very much for the link. I have not know that there was such Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) exist. And it is good that i have subscription now to download it :thumbup It shows there are packages for WinPE-NetFx4.cab, WinPE-PowerShell3.cab super.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

I do not understand why there will not be a x86 Winpe (as i understand from the topic you mention) This is x86 im my photos.

Hard to believe less than 300Mb for a x64. Probably no x86 support and only a command prompt or pure explorer.

Hımm. I just saw that. Thank you very much for the link. I have not know that there was such Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) exist. And it is good that i have subscription now to download it :thumbup It shows there are packages for WinPE-NetFx4.cab, WinPE-PowerShell3.cab super.

Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) fully supports WinPE x86 as you will see when you download the package.

I'm excited to follow your progress.

Yes but that is the initial size. I haven't tried it yet, but further along you'll see the final size is about 500MB or something. That is still a lot bigger than the current PE sizes I deal with, which is less than 300MB for a 64bit WinPE.

Well my talk about no x86. I know a dev preview for x86 was released, but I was referring to old info where MS said Win 8 wouldn't have a 32bit version. Obviously they are backing off on that a little bit, HOWEVER it is interesting that the Dev Tools version only is 64bit.

As far as my "size" talk... Looking at the default Win PE 4 size of about 500MB, it doesn't have OS parts like your project does. Even my current WinPE 3 x64 boot images are not full OSes (or attempts) they are deployment platforms only. Very few additions as far as extra content or drivers... I'd say less than 10MB. So this is why I have small files. I admit the Win PE 3 x86 I have on USB Key I made with Make_PE3 is a lot bigger!

I think microsoft changed Hard Links and Junctions or another thing. I can not export, add package and commit or change any kind without losing mouse support any of boot.wim 1/2 images. Now i started to think wim gets corrupted after i work on it. Also another thing when i use dism from windows 8 when i commit and save, files stays at the mounted driectory. I use vista imagex (ok very old), window 7 sp1 dism, windows 8 dism. Anybody has such problems? Or anybody can do that without problem, which operating system and dism combinations.?

Changes:

Packages can add to winpe.wim under windows 7 sp0 with dism. There is no problems

I made "file add" operations under WinPE 4.0 mounting with new dism. No more problems. Mouse working.

th_win8ie2.jpg

working mouse and internet explorer.

Note: Control panel and explorer have very long loading times. I investigated and found the reason. It disappointed me because looks serious. Previous we were deleting (Runas "interactive user") keys from classes for to get control panel items to work without have identity errors under system user. Also same settings was working at administrator account. Now it no longer logons as system user deleting that keys result such a long load times. Not deleting also gives identity error. Changed them to (Runas "nt authority\system") it did not worked also. Need a quick solution. :no:

Mount/Unmount, Export (did not select "check" option) with vista imagex did not had any problems on wim this time. Mouse stays. I can continue with it. Will make easier.

My first profiling file list, i do not know how much sized.

Windows Developer Preview Profiling

Some extra services to add to winpe 4.0 . Registry Hive format.

Windows Developer Preview Extra Service Additions

Note: Be sure to add sys or dll files that the services contains without to have a BSOD

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

• 4 weeks later...

i solved. i made package additions under different dism combinations. when i prepared base boot.wim with mouse working, i started to contiune to work on it. i think i made package additions under windows 7 sp0, added files under winpe4.0. Only thing it need to change user to admin after boot as your way or need to invent another way to change user after boot. under system user control panel and explorer not works because of the reason i explained. Other eveything seems fine and no problem.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kullenen_Ask good.gif

I have find tweak for Win8PE:

Enable cursor in WinPE8 > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\System: EnableCursorSuppression = 1 to 0

Enable Wallpaper in WinPE8 > delete WallpaperHost.exe, copy ProductOption.reg form Win7 PE to Win8PE and add

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Tmp_Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"Wallpaper"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Tmp_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"Wallpaper"=-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Kullenen_Ask

I am trying to follow your instructions regarding creating a custom PE disk (win pe 3.0) and getting explorer.exe working but am having a problem with explorer.exe

If I change the HKLM\Software\MS\WINNT\CurrentVer\Winlogon\Shell= key to explorer.exe, then type explorer.exe in the command prompt, explorer runs the ie4unit process, and then doesnt initialize the gui. If i change this value to anything else, explorer.exe comes up, but onlly as a file browser, and I dont get any gui.

I know that I am missing one small thing, but not sure what.

any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Read post #71 You miss to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes] full branch and "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] full branch" part probably. How to work on that brach explained at deep note that starts with "UPDATE to classes.hiv:"

I left that step out of my post, but I did go in and get the following keys via regedit

(I extracted all files from the Install WIM from the DVD to my HD and then opened regedit.

I then File - load Hive and loaded the software hive.

I exported the following to reg files)

HKLM\Software\Classes

HKLM\Sfotware\MS\Windows\Explorer

HKLM\Software\MS\Windows NT\\Svchost

I then went in, changed the D:\ and the 44,00,... to the right values

Next, I mounted my custom build WIM file and imported the reg files.

I then unmounted registry hives, unmounted Custom build Wim file, and recreated iso file.

do you have to go in and get all of the services to get explorer.exe as shell?