Xp validation

Devildo

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this ?

A friend is living on the Canary Islands and his xp has failed validation,due to the product not licensed for that region!

He took the pc over there and it was running fine in the uk.

Is validation checked by i.p.address as well as all the other factors it checks?

Bit worrying if that is the case!

Devildo.

Activation/Registration... What exactly do you call "validation" ?

Windows XP needs to be activated only once, then it's done, until you make "some" hardware changes or reinstall.

Validation, aka whatever the WGA does. Or sometimes when you need to download something from Microsoft, you have to validate first before the website will let you save the file. I am guessing this is what he means.

I am wondering if the Canary Islands are one of those places that are designated as N or Starter only.

I am not sure if I get the full meaning of this, does it somehow mean that if I have a laptop and bring it on holidays in some other State/Region MS could limit the thingies I can get from their site depending on the place where I am connecting from (as opposed to the actual region where I bought a license for the OS or the actual Licnse itself)? :w00t:

@Tripredacus

Canary Islands are to all effects Spain, and EU, at least from an administrative/legal point of view.

Where can one find "N" or "Starter" zones listed (whatever they are)?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Where can one find "N" or "Starter" zones listed (whatever they are)?

jaclaz

I tried to research before making the post. I'm sure it on the Partner network someplace but there's something wrong with my account so I couldn't check.

Edit: actually, I forget this is in XP forum. I don't even know if XP has N or Starter versions. Before my time. :blushing: