MS Security Essentials

so there has been a lil buzz about Microsoft's Security essentials antivirus software, so i for now have switched from a trial verion of eset smart security x64 to give it a lil try. Despite the fact that i know how to avoid gettin infected despite the AV of choice, have any of u guys done any comparisons and test on the app ?

see if it evens compares to eset or bitdefender etc......

so far the foot print seems smaller than eset's .. but have any of you guys did any extreme or indepth testing with it ?

MSE is a free product from "M$" so the dollar sign doesnt really apply here.

MSE seems to be a much better AV than any other free AV ive ever used. Ive had a few reports of it eating memory on XP but i havent looked into that because i hope to be mostly rid of XP within a few years and MS may fix whatever is causing the memory issue before the next time i need AV installed on XP

I've had no problems with it. I am running it on 7 and XP and it does not take up much memory at all. In fact, it only uses 2 processes which I think is awesome. My only gripe is that it won't run if you turn Automatic Windows Updates off. And when you install it, it turns updates on as well.

• 1 month later...

I’ve installed it on 4 computers all running XP. On a hyperthreading cpu and a dual core cpu it worked very well. On a Pentium 4 2.0 and a Pentium III 1.4 it was a disaster. 100% cpu usage, wouldn’t uninstall in safe mode.

I’ve installed it on 4 computers all running XP. On a hyperthreading cpu and a dual core cpu it worked very well. On a Pentium 4 2.0 and a Pentium III 1.4 it was a disaster. 100% cpu usage, wouldn’t uninstall in safe mode.

I run it on a P4 2.0GHz on a 865board. No CPU issues at all. Although you can install it on XP (and XP installer is available) it looks like its only designed/supported on 7, at least through the OEM channel.

Yes thats left over from Windows Defender for scanning/updating, but it still wont scan a single file (wish I knew how the shell extension does this)

well i did a lot of search and it seem that you are correct

none knows how to integrate it with the Messenger or search for one file

i'm searching now if i can find how the shell extension make the it but nothin until now

and it seem that there are a lot of topic requesting that functionality