How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

I cant believe this!! i finally solved this... would you believe my problem was due to the power plan i was using. The power plan was set was on balanced, which is the recommended one. I changed it to high performance and voila the cpu usage drops back to ~0 when idle..

Thanks for your support

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello, I'm trying to follow your tutorial but encountered a problem. After typing in "xperf -on latency -stalkwalk profile" into cmd, i get "xperf: error: xperf: argument -stalkwalk unexpected."

any help on solving this? i downloaded the Windows Performance Toolkit and the installed x64 file for Windows x64 systems.

Hi,

you made a spelling mistake: "StaCkwalk, not StaLkwalk.

André

... *facepalm* okay, i feel stupid now.

thanks.. not for the feeling stupid but for pointing it out! ahahahah haaaaaaah

MagicAndre -- I've been trying to follow your guides, but am lost. Something is causing pops, clicks, and dropouts in my audio, esp. at lower latency settings. Have periodic (15 second) CPU spikes, and somewhat high DPC/ISR involving WDF01000.sys (Kernel mode driver framework runtime), usbport.sys, hal.dll, and ataport.sys (in that order). Being system files, I assume there's no updates for any of these.

This is a new, dedicated i7 machine for audio work, with all unnecessary services disabled (I usually shut off networking), and all drivers updated. I'm stumped.

A zip of the trace file is at http://dougstunes.com/DPC-Interrupt.zip

TIA!

You Have high DPC usage caused by USBport data transfer (rdwm1117.sys driver).

You've also have Driver Verifier enabled. Disable Driver verifier and test again. It should fix the issues because the deep validations no longer occur.

A thousand thanks, Andre! Disabling Driver Verifier did seem to help. In all the forums I've visited, I'd never heard about doing this (I need to spread the word). Is this Verifier enabled by default in Windows 7?

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing these large spikes every 15 seconds, and am still not getting the latency that others seem to be reporting using the same Roland hardware. The spikes do seem to be connected to this hardware (They go away if I unplug it, and rdwm1117.sys is the Roland driver), but I'm wondering if something in my system is interacting with the driver to cause these spikes, which consume 100% of one core, and 15-20% of total CPU .

I've uploaded another trace -- http://dougstunes.com/DPC-Interrupt.zip -- this time with network disabled, no driver verifier, and no antivirus, if you'd be willing to take another look. (I can't even see the spikes in the trace). Is there simply something wrong with the Roland driver?

Thanks again...

Edited by tuner

A thousand thanks, Andre! Disabling Driver Verifier did seem to help. In all the forums I've visited, I'd never heard about doing this (I need to spread the word). Is this Verifier enabled by default in Windows 7?

No, by default it is not activated. Did you have a BSOD and activated it to get better dumps?

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing these large spikes every 15 seconds, and am still not getting the latency that others seem to be reporting using the same Roland hardware. The spikes do seem to be connected to this hardware (They go away if I unplug it, and rdwm1117.sys is the Roland driver), but I'm wondering if something in my system is interacting with the driver to cause these spikes, which consume 100% of one core, and 15-20% of total CPU .

still the same issue with the roland driver. The SAM.exe ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\Samplitude_Pro_X_Download_Version\Sam.exe" ) sends some data to the USb device.

post-70718-0-57419200-1337085766_thumb.p

Try the 1.5 drivers

http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1166&c=72

You use the 1.0.0 drivers. Maybe this helps. Also try to connect the device to a different USB port which doesn't share IRQs with other devices.

Edited by MagicAndre1981