Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Hi,

first, thanks for the tutorial! I am trying to figure out why my win7 x64 on HP 8510w laptop is suddenly taking ages to go to sleep, and sometimes also to wake up.

I've made a trace http://dl.dropbox.com/u/153770/standby_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1.zip

From my looking at it, all i see is that ntfs.sys and fltmgrs.sys are doing a lot, but nothing much I can do about that, I guess?

The interesting thing is that from the graphs it seems like the disk is doing a lot, whereas looking at the disk light it is doing sth in the beginning, but then there is a long stretch where it's doing nothing and I'm not sure if this is in the trace.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

scenario start="573205" duration="234924701" suspend="72271000" resumecritical="3105483" biosinit="279000" resume="6369000">

as you can see the suspend takes too long.

- <suspenddevices start="14857888" duration="57986990">
- <device start="16930071" duration="53884101" name="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11018086&REV_61\4&34ad53c6&0&00E1">

the device VEN_8086, DEV_4229 = Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN takes the longest time to suspend. So update the driver, please. Maybe this fixes it.

best regards

André

Hi Andre!

My laptop (ASUS A42JV Core i5 4Gb ram) used to boot up really fast, but recently, it takes close to 1.5 to 2 min to boot up from the time i press the power button till it is usable. It stays for close to 30s at the "Welcome" screen with the blue circle spinning. I performed the boot trace as instructed on the first page of this thread, and saw that WSearch service takes quite long. I disabled it from Services, but it did not improve the boot up time. I doubt it's a driver problem, so i was wondering at else you could recommend for me to get back my fastER boot up times like before.

It's a relatively new com (2 months old) and all Windows Updates installed. The solid desktop background issue does not apply here because 1) I've tried the hotfix and it said it doesn't apply to my system 2) my background is a picture jpg.

Thanks and much appreciated!

lisll

i've uploaded a rar file of the etl. please help me take a look!

http://cid-d6b1e66510dc7ad8.office.live.com/self.aspx/boot%20trace/boot%5E_BASE%5EMCSWITCH%5EMDRIVERS%5EMPOWER%5E_1.rar

Hi,

scenario start="573205" duration="234924701" suspend="72271000" resumecritical="3105483" biosinit="279000" resume="6369000">

as you can see the suspend takes too long.

- <suspenddevices start="14857888" duration="57986990">
- <device start="16930071" duration="53884101" name="PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_11018086&REV_61\4&34ad53c6&0&00E1">

the device VEN_8086, DEV_4229 = Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN takes the longest time to suspend. So update the driver, please. Maybe this fixes it.

best regards

André

I've found new drivers on intel site and the suspend is much faster, thanks!

you're welcome.

@lisll

your Windows boots in 70s to the desktop and is finished in 95seconds:

bootDoneViaExplorer="69345" bootDoneViaPostBoot="105645"

the WinlogonInit and ExplorerInit are slow.

I selected the ExplorerInit Phase and looked at the DiskIO because your HDD is busy this time. I saw that this WPF app: GfxUI.exe is causing a huge IO access. Your ST9500325AS is a 5400rpm drive so it is not the fastest drive. From what I see this exe is part of your Intel graphic drivers. But I doubt that you use the Intel HD graphics which is part of your Intel i5 CPU (Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5)). I would prefer the NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M . So you should be able to use msconfig.exe dsiabel the GfxUI.exe entry.

Also some ASUS apps/services use the HDD a bit too much. Try to disable as much as you can and run the optimization from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

André

Edited by MagicAndre1981

you're welcome.

@lisll

your Windows boots in 70s to the desktop and is finished in 95seconds:

bootDoneViaExplorer="69345" bootDoneViaPostBoot="105645"

the WinlogonInit and ExplorerInit are slow.

I selected the ExplorerInit Phase and looked at the DiskIO because your HDD is busy this time. I saw that this WPF app: GfxUI.exe is causing a huge IO access. Your ST9500325AS is a 5400rpm drive so it is not the fastest drive. From what I see this exe is part of your Intel graphic drivers. But I doubt that you use the Intel HD graphics which is part of your Intel i5 CPU (Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5)). I would prefer the NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M . So you should be able to use msconfig.exe dsiabel the GfxUI.exe entry.

Also some ASUS apps/services use the HDD a bit too much. Try to disable as much as you can and run the optimization from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

André

Thanks for the help Andre!

I managed to disable processes related to Intel HD graphics like the Graphics Tray from msconfig, but not the process GfxUI.exe itself. It is not listed on msconfig. However, I did an update of Intel HD graphics from the Device Manager and it does seem to quicken boot up from the Welcome screen slighty, though not as fast as before. Boot up seems to spend a relatively longer time at the "starting windows" page where the windows logo is glowing. Any comments on that?

I'm really frustrated that the Windows 7 boot up slowed down so quickly after such minimal usage. I've been using my Macbook Core 2 Duo for the past 3 years and it's boot up time has hardly increased.

WINDOWS ARGH.

I've attached the latest boot trace etl. Hopefully you can help direct me to the remaining problematic area Andre!

thanks so much

http://cid-d6b1e66510dc7ad8.office.live.com/self.aspx/boot%20trace/boot%5E_BASE%5EMCSWITCH%5EMDRIVERS%5EMPOWER%5E_1.rar

• 2 months later...

wininit.exe has a service time of 60seconds, but no disk IO :blink::wacko:

I have never seen this. This causes the slow NTShutdown time:

<interval name="NtShutdownSystem" startTime="8014" endTime="78417" duration="70402" /> 

I have no idea how to fix this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "but no disk IO". Could you clarify?

Hi, I have been having slow (4 min ish) shut down times on my 64bit windows 7 pc for a while now and i could never find the cause, it does it in safe mode and when all external devices removed and startup programs stopped in msconfig.

So until i found this site I didnt know about the trace program but i dont understand the file so I am hoping you guys can help me by analysing it for me and telling me what the problem is.

As it was 175mb i compressed it to 22.5mb in winrar and uploaded it to filesonic.com I hope that is ok. I really want to get this solved its been driving me nuts for over a year!

Thanks in advance.

Trace file download link : http://www.filesonic.com/file/124207301/shutdowntrace.rar