Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andre, could you take a look at my trace file? I am experiencing some very slow boot times. The SMSSInit Phase takes 30+ seconds. In your guide you suggested that the graphic card driver might be the problerm, but I already have the latest installed.

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|778l3|456758021|trace.rar|22539

Thx in advance!

ok, first enumaration of all IDE/ATA channels takes some time:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="23" endTime="4070" duration="4047">

<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+27dec4d+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="329" endTime="2834" duration="2504" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />

<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+27dec4d+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="329" endTime="1342" duration="1013" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />

<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+ba41d32+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="330" endTime="1337" duration="1006" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />

Which IDE devices do you still use? If none, disable the IDE channel i the BIOS.

The delay occurs here:

Provider Name, Task Name, Opcode Name, Time (s),

Microsoft-Windows-Subsys-SMSS, , , , , , , , , , 21, , , , , , , , ,

, smss:ExecuteImage, , , , , , , , , 13, , , , , , , , ,

, smss:BootExecuteList, , , , , , , , , 2, , , , , , , , ,

, , win:Start, 12.900334820, , , , , , , 1, , , , , , , , ,

, , win:Stop, 40.808546912, , , , , , , 1, , , , , , , , ,

so, it takes 28 seconds to run the programs from this key:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc963230.aspx

The smss.exe is busy writing the C:\Windows\bootstat.dat file. Run chkdsk /r /f on C: and make sure the file is not compressed, set to readonly.

ok, first enumaration of all IDE/ATA channels takes some time:

- <phase name="bootStart" startTime="23" endTime="4070" duration="4047">

<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+27dec4d+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="329" endTime="2834" duration="2504" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />

<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+27dec4d+0+0" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="329" endTime="1342" duration="1013" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 0" />

<pnpObject name="PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4+ba41d32+0+1" type="Device" activity="Enum" startTime="330" endTime="1337" duration="1006" prePendTime="0" description="IDE Channel" friendlyName="ATA Channel 1" />

Which IDE devices do you still use? If none, disable the IDE channel i the BIOS.

The delay occurs here:

Provider Name, Task Name, Opcode Name, Time (s),

Microsoft-Windows-Subsys-SMSS, , , , , , , , , , 21, , , , , , , , ,

, smss:ExecuteImage, , , , , , , , , 13, , , , , , , , ,

, smss:BootExecuteList, , , , , , , , , 2, , , , , , , , ,

, , win:Start, 12.900334820, , , , , , , 1, , , , , , , , ,

, , win:Stop, 40.808546912, , , , , , , 1, , , , , , , , ,

so, it takes 28 seconds to run the programs from this key:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc963230.aspx

The smss.exe is busy writing the C:\Windows\bootstat.dat file. Run chkdsk /r /f on C: and make sure the file is not compressed, set to readonly.

chkdisk worked great :) It's a new comp and i did a format and clean install three days ago so I'm surprised there was a need for this. Anyhow, it's booting a lot quicker now.

I don't use any IDE devices, but I'm not sure how to disable these. Checked UEFI but didn't see anything about disabling IDE. I have a ASRock P67 pro3 mobo.

Appreciate the help!

ok, make a system restore point and try to disable them in the device manager.

After doing this, run the optimization I linked in the first post. If this doesn't speedup run a new trace (this time, let Windows count down the 120s).

Screenshot of my device manager:

CHNdb.jpg

disable the ATA channel 0 and 1 but create a system restore point first, if you can't boot.

Had to run another chkdsk because for some reason it took 3+ minutes to boot. The chkdsk fixed it but it's kind of frustrating not knowing what's causing the issues.

Disabled those and ran the optimization. Here's the link to the new trace: http://rapidshare.com/files/457094640/TEMP.rar

Cant really say I've noticed any improvements.

Edited by zeuspimple

it's much better. The ReadyBoot prefetcher is now trained very well (you have good prefetch and hit values, the cache misses are gone)

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="16735" bootDoneViaPostBoot="36835"

Your Windows boots in round 17s to the desktop and is booted completely in 27s.

most time is needed to start all startup apps (Google, AMD CCC, µtorrent, Samsung Tools, Adobe programs). So reduce the amount of started tools with AutoRuns.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

it's much better. The ReadyBoot prefetcher is now trained very well (you have good prefetch and hit values, the cache misses are gone)

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="16735" bootDoneViaPostBoot="36835"

Your Windows boots in round 17s to the desktop and is booted completely in 27s.

most time is needed to start all startup apps (Google, AMD CCC, µtorrent, Samsung Tools, Adobe programs). So reduce the amount of started tools with AutoRuns.

You are awesome :) Thx for the help!

- <resumedevices start="130558281" duration="71321941">
- <device start="130558320" duration="70936117" name="ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0">
<driver start="130558323" duration="70936109" name="\Driver\ACPI" />
<driver start="201494434" duration="2" name="\Driver\ACPI_HAL" />
</device>

Resuming the ACPI driver is slow and takes 71seconds. Update the BIOS, load the default BIOS settings and try it again.