Problem with UPS

mara-

Hi,

I have the following problem and I hope somebody can suggest some solution.

I have a CyberPower Green Value UPS. It came with PowerPanel Personal Edition Software. It's configured to go in the hibernation after power outage. I configured it to run computer for 1 minute and then to go in hibernation. Here is the thing. After power outage computer will hibernate. But when power is back, UPS will turn on my computer. I don't want it to do this, because it often happens that power just come back for 1 sec couple of times so computer will turn on, then hibernate after 1 min, turn on, then hibernate after 1 min, and so on, which will cause all battery to drain and computer will just shut down improperly which defeats purpose of having UPS. It same happens even if software is configured to shutdown computer. I tried disconnecting USB connection with UPS after power outage, but it still turns on. In bios, all wake options are on disabled. So, it seems that software send some command to computer to turn itself on when power is back before hibernating computer. So, any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

BTW, I'm posting this in General Discussion because I can't see this topic fit in any other section.

Cheers ;)

I contacted support, and they said that auto-restart feature of UPS can not be disabled. But they said that it's possible to do it in BIOS. Well, I don't know what to look for in bios. All wake options are disabled. Anyone have some idea about the BIOS thing?

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

How about configuring your Windows, so, no power on/out of power-save when you move your mouse or touch a key on your keyboard? Is this an USB or RS232 controlled UPS?

Let's take this step by step ;) .

It's USB controlled UPS. I don't understand why would I need to configure options for mouse or keyboard. It seems that program somehow sends command to start my computer. Some command which is activated before hibernation. In my Asus motherboard I have option "Restore on AC Power Loss" and it's configured on "Power off".

Can you please explain what you meant when you say to configure power options for mouse and keyboard? Why would that have effect?

Cheers ;)

For years I've used only APC brand of UPS, till I got a real deal on a 500VA Cyber Power UPS at my local Staples store.

It kept telling me that "battery capacity is critical" whenever I'd do a Self Test.

My PC and Monitor only applies a 157 watt load, to the UPS, so I couldn't figure out

why the battery capacity would be critical.

Jeff, at Cyber Power couldn't figure it out either, so he sent me a brand new UPS.

The new one did the same thing. He finally told me that I'd need a larger UPS for

my system.

Hmmmm! A 500VA unit is not big enough to supply power to a 157 watt load?

I won't be buying any more Cyber Power UPS's. It's back to APC brand, for me.

Set your timer on the UPS to five minutes, not one minute, and when the UPS starts

beeping close any open programs and shut down your PC till the line power comes

back up and is stable for at lease five minutes.

YOU control your UPS, don't let it control YOU.

The voice of experience

Andromeda B)

Well, Cyberpower UPS is working fine for me. No any problem regarding battery or load. Mine is 800VA (450W) and I attached my computer, LCD monitor, network switch and adsl modem and it can work 10-15 minutes depending on current load.

Now, I know I can do what you suggested, but problem is when I'm not at home and I keep my computer powered on all the time. S0, any other suggestions?

Cheers ;)

Can you please explain what you meant when you say to configure power options for mouse and keyboard? Why would that have effect?
You have to see the USB connection of that UPS as just a mouse or a keyboard, if you push the button or move the mouse it triggers the sleep function (S1 or S3 for example) to get the computer out of sleep mode. What you should do is to disable that function in windows; set the "power button" as the only thing to get your computer out of sleep. Normally you can do this in the Power Configuration in any windows OS.

What OS are we talking about any way?

It's Windows 7. I disabled everything, but I once disconnected USB connection after power outage and I waited for power to come back. After it come back, it still powered on my computer. But, I'll test what you suggested.

Cheers ;)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for really late reply. Problem is solved, thanks to puntoMX. I disabled in Device Manager option "Allow this device to wake the computer" for mouse and keyboard and when power is back computer will NOT power on itself now.

Cheers ;)