Problem Installing Card Reader [Solved]

Dave-H

Can I now get my old Integral flash drive working again in Windows 2000?

Not the end of the world if I've hosed it completely by deleting the volumes from it, but it would be nice to get it working again if possible.

Back to square #58:

http://www.msfn.org/board/problem-installi...74-page-57.html

But we have not yet determined, if:

1. the flash device is hosed (and the ONLY way is for you to test it on another computer)
    OR
  2. the 2K Registry is hosed.

If #1 using the manufacturer tool may bring it back to pristine state.

If #2 using the manufacturer tool is pretty much unuseful/unneeded and risky

If BOTH :w00t: installing the Manufacturer Tool on a "shaky" 2K may do more harm than expected and possibly really "hose" both the device AND OS/Registry.

However, all in all you have not much to lose, so I would go on all the way down, AFTER having tried to properly clkean the Registry USB related keys - ALL the steps.

Take this thread LOOSELY as a base reference for a typical use of MP Tool:

http://www.msfn.org/board/screwed-up-usb-drive-t137990.html

though a USBest is talked about there, most manufacturer tools have a similar approach.

jaclaz

Can I now get my old Integral flash drive working again in Windows 2000?

Not the end of the world if I've hosed it completely by deleting the volumes from it, but it would be nice to get it working again if possible.

Sure. Maybe it should be the next problem to resolve. But the best one of us to guide you in the recovery of the pendrive is surely jaclaz, and seeing he's just arrived online, I'll leave you in his most capable hands for now. But do backup your 2k registry before cleaning it. Better safe then sorry. Later we address the remaining issues.

But do backup your 2k registry before cleaning it. Better safe then sorry.

Not only "backup", also make sure you can restore. ;)

BACKUP your current Registry with ERUNT:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

MAKE SURE you understand (and have a way to) how you can restore the Registry should it fail after the edits.

Better be VERY safe than sorry. :whistle:

:P

jaclaz

Hi guys!

:hello:

I know this isn't directly anything to do with fixing my Integral drive, but bear with me.

I have now found an earlier version of a backup of my Windows 98 registry, which goes back to September.

I tried using it to see if I could get the sound back, but it didn't work for that.

Unfortunately it's not a full backup copy of system.dat and user.dat.

What it is an exported text file from the registry backup function of Norton Registry Editor.

What it unfortunately doesn't include is the hardware configuration data.

Anyway, having done this, and at least restored the installation information and root key information from some weeks ago, I decided to try and restore the Windows 98 system back as much as possible to as it was before it ever saw NUSB.

Fortunately I log most installations using Norton Cleansweep, and this generates a log file of every change that the installer makes to the system.

I did log the NUSB installation, so I was able to manually remove all the files that it was recorded as having put on the system.

I then reinstalled the manufacturers' Windows 98 drivers for my original four port card reader, and the Integral USB stick.

The four card reader now works fine again, and I checked that my USB ZIP drive also works correctly.

The integral USB stick, with its own driver, now installs in Windows 98 exactly as it does in Windows 2000.

That is to say, it appears as two separate drives, but inaccessible.

Windows 2000 says they have an unknown file system on them, Windows 98 says they have a FAT file system on them, but they are shown as being of zero size and cannot be formatted.

The point I'm getting to is that Windows 98 now treats the stick exactly the same way as Windows 2000, therefore it is extremely unlikely that any registry corruption in Windows 2000 is causing the problem, unless exactly the same condition now exists in Windows 98.

I think the stick itself is damaged in that it now contains storage space but with no storage volumes on it.

To repair it we need to restore the volume information.

I did find a copy of the security program for the stick. Fortunately I had kept another copy in addition to the one on the stick itself. It allows you to lock and unlock the stick with password protection, and change the relative size of the "public" and "protected" sections of the stick.

Unfortunately it doesn't now work to repair the stick.

It runs OK and you can tell it to change the sizes, a progress bar goes across and it says "writing files" which looks very hopeful (the light on the stick even flashes!) but after it's finished in Windows 2000 the stick is no different.

In Windows 98 the program usually crashes at this point anyway!

:)

Edited by Dave-H

The point I'm getting to is that Windows 98 now treats the stick exactly the same way as Windows 2000, therefore it is extremely unlikely that any registry corruption in Windows 2000 is causing the problem, unless exactly the same condition now exists in Windows 98.
I agree with you, and disagree with jaclaz, about this. By now I'm positive whatever little blotch there may remain in either registry IS immaterial, at this point. So, jaclaz, please, bear with us and proceed to the low level repair of the pendrive.
I think the stick itself is damaged in that it now contains storage space but with no storage volumes on it. To repair it we need to restore the volume information.
Sure. It is blotched. But nothing a low level manufacturer tool cannot repair, or, at least, so I hope. But, in the process of repair lets turn it in a garden-variety one-volume pendrive, since you're gonna use the manufacturer's tool. The one-volume device can always be partitioned by normal means, afterwards, if you feel like it, after all.

However if I put either of my multi-card readers into Windows 98, the same thing happens as before. The first drive seems to mount correctly, but as soon as the second drive mounts the system freezes.
Try to connect an external 5V power supply to your multicard reader. Possibly when a 2nd drive mounts, the current used is > 500mA on a single USB port. Multi-card readers work on my old laptop only with an external power supply. If you cannot connect a power supply to your multi-card reader, try to use the multi-card reader via an external USB hub with its own power supply.

Make sure the power supply plugs have the correct polarity, otherwise you may damage your hardware.

My favorite card-reader is a MSI multi-card reader. The only problem it has is when I power up my old Inspiron laptop with the card-reader connected, the MSI card-reader will not get a drive letter, even if the nusb safely-remove icon displays a Disk drive, without a drive letter. When I connect the MSI multi-card reader after Win98 or WinXP is up, it is recognized fine. This MSI multi-card reader works fine when connected at power-on to a new Asus Eee 1000HE, so possibly only old computers may have a power supply issue, but not new computers.

Some multi-card readers work only with 1 card inserted at a time, and stop working when 2 or more cards are inserted at the same time, regardless of the power supply. Other multi-card readers work fine with multiple cards at the same time, but not with an SDHC card and a micro-SDHC card inserted at the same time.

The product description page of my favorite card reader has changed, it's now here. I don't know whether the chip inside is still the same, those card readers I bought a year ago had a red LED, this one here has a blue LED, but the card readers have the same product number. BTW, MSI has marked in red letters on that page that there is a Win98SE driver for this card reader :rolleyes:

Edited by Multibooter

The integral USB stick, with its own driver, now installs in Windows 98 exactly as it does in Windows 2000.

That is to say, it appears as two separate drives, but inaccessible.

Windows 2000 says they have an unknown file system on them, Windows 98 says they have a FAT file system on them, but they are shown as being of zero size and cannot be formatted.

Good :), and bad :( news at the same time, but at least now we know that nothing is wrong with the 2K.

I think the stick itself is damaged in that it now contains storage space but with no storage volumes on it.

To repair it we need to restore the volume information.

That's more or less what has been discussed here in the last few days: Good morning, Mr de La Palice. :):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_de_La_Palice

I did find a copy of the security program for the stick. Fortunately I had kept another copy in addition to the one on the stick itself. It allows you to lock and unlock the stick with password protection, and change the relative size of the "public" and "protected" sections of the stick.

Unfortunately it doesn't now work to repair the stick.

It runs OK and you can tell it to change the sizes, a progress bar goes across and it says "writing files" which looks very hopeful (the light on the stick even flashes!) but after it's finished in Windows 2000 the stick is no different.

Now, do you think I would have advised you to try using the Manufacturer Tool if I thought you could get away with the "plain" security app? :w00t::whistle:

OF COURSE the security program WON'T work to restore it.

jaclaz

OK, I downloaded the Phison MPTool MP2232 1.11.0.

Is that the one to try first?

You'll have to guide me through how to use it, I'm a bit out of my depth here!

That's the tricky part :(, most probably (read as "undoubtedly" ;)) won't work "right" if a Phison device is not detected, thus I simply cannot help you "specifically" (in the sense I cannot replicate locally).

Nor I have an "indirect experience" with it as another used:

http://www.msfn.org/board/do-split-my-usb-...pid-887182.html

abandoned the game long before getting into the "action" part of it. ;)

BUT there is a manual for those around:

http://www.flashboot.ru/uploads/files/publ..._UserManual.rar

I guess that you want to try re-programming it to mode 3 or mode 8.

Only recommendation I can make is: print the manual, see if it makes sense, re-read it, and then again, BEFORE attempting flashing the thingy.

Ask if you have any doubts BEFORE flashing.

jaclaz

Well thanks to you guys, especially jaclaz, I've fixed by pen drive!

:thumbup

I used a package I downloaded from here -

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/dd0oeig46

This included the USB 2K REL90 program jaclaz referred to, as well as a lot of other related programs (including Chip Genius).

I don't think that they are all the latest versions of the programs, but they work, and the USB 2K REL90 program fixed things for me.

I did try using the separately downloaded Phison MPTool MP2232, but I couldn't get my head around that.

It seemed to need device information data files from Phison, which I didn't have of course.

I managed to get the pen drive to work as a single 2GB drive, and then just for the hell of it I thought I would try and restore it back to as it was originally (mode 7).

This I did, so it's now back exactly as it was before, but with my own personalised device ID!

Works perfectly in Windows 2000 and Windows 98 (with its own driver).

That has been a very useful exercise, and has taught me an awful lot, although obviously it's not particularly relevant to the original problem!

So, the original problem..........

I now have Windows 98 back as far as it's possible to do to the way it was before I first installed NUSB.

So, where do i go from here?

I'd still like to have NUSB on the system, but I need to know how to best avoid the same thing happening again as happened before.

Hi, Dave! :hello:

I'm glad you've solved it! :thumbup:

When jaclaz began participating in this thread I was confident we'd solve the pendrive issue, because, he's the best at it. And at many other difficult and obscure matters, too. jaclaz rocks! worship.gif

But I think you might describe in a little more detail how to recover the pendrive, just for the record.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, two issues remain: to get your sound in 98 back to working condition and get nusb working in your system, without removing the manufacturer's drivers for the Phison pendrive and for the card-reader, isn't that so?

Well, before we begin any other procedure I recommend full backups of both the system partitions. This is the best backup procedure I can think of. I wrote about imaging software above, so I'll just quote it below:

There are numerous free options, that IcemanND has collected in his list of Disk Imaging Software. Now, in what regards commercial software, there is Norton Ghost 2003, which may still be be found new at eBay for about $50. It does rock! I'm a longtime user, and own one licence of NG 2003. For most purposes, NG 2003 is good enough and it's still the easier to get version of Ghost. But then, suddenly, Symantec decided that another software altogether would be best for their home clients and began marketing it as "Norton Ghost", although it's a totally different animal (those are versions 9, 10 and 12-14) and it sucks.
In any case I'm positive you'd be in a much safer position by having one of them and mastering its use. The main advantage is that you make a known-good image, burn it to a DVD, and then you can mess-up your system partition seven-ways-to-Sunday many times in a single day, and every time just fall back to the good image in about 20 minutes, and be ready to start again experimenting.

That said, I think Multibooter can be of great help with setting nusb alongside with other drivers. He's got much more experience than I do in this type of setup. But I sure will remain participating in this thread and contributing to it as far as I can.

Dave-H

Instead of working with registry restores and worrying about corrupting your existing setup, You might consider using TestRun. It's a collection of batch files that copy your registry and allow you to experiment on a duplicate. If you totally wreck your registry, it's simple to get back to where you started from. It's useful for the type of experimenting that you're doing, test installs, etc. I've uploaded it here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5mtuz1zrcyy

Rick

Well thanks to you guys, especially jaclaz, I've fixed by pen drive!

Only too happy to have contributed to make a happy bunny ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/cant-access-repa...27-page-10.html

When jaclaz began participating in this thread I was confident we'd solve the pendrive issue, because, he's the best at it. And at many other difficult and obscure matters, too. jaclaz rocks! worship.gif

:blushing:

I just try and take these seriously:

Life is "trying things to see if they work"
A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.

I did not solve anything, I simply pushed a bit Dave-H, luckily enough in the right direction....:whistle:

:hello:

jaclaz

OK, I'd like to get my sound working again before we go any further.

I want to start with NUSB again with a completely working system.

I have backed up my Windows 98 and Windows 2000 folders, and their Program Files folders, onto a removable hard drive, so I hope I'm covered in case of disaster.

The problem with the sound suddenly appeared while I was trying to troubleshoot the original NUSB installation.

I became aware that the sound was not working, but all seemed OK in Device Manager at that time, so I thought I would carry on with the troubleshooting and investigate the loss of sound later.

I then later became aware that there was a problem showing in Device Manager, but i don't know at what point it appeared.

The sound hardware (Realtek AC'97 Audio) is showing a yellow exclamation mark.

The general properties show -

"The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2.)

To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver".

Needless to say, I've done that until I'm blue in the face and it makes absolutely no difference!

I'm using the latest driver (4.06) and the driver installation appears to go without any problems.

More puzzling, the Resources tab shows -

"The resources this device is using do not match any of its known configurations. To assign resources manually for this device, click Set Configuration Manually."

If I click to set the resources, there are no conflicts shown, but the device is shown as using Interrupt Request "00". which is surely not correct. I'm pretty sure that it used to be using IRQ 11.

Needless to say, if I try and change it, all I get is "This resource setting cannot be modified"!

Everything else on the system seems to be functioning correctly except the sound.

The only other clue I've had is by using a utility called "HP System Diagnostics", which came with my HP printer.

This has a function to analyse the devices registered by the system, and you can delete any that you want to (presumably the same as you would by going into Safe Mode.)

This shows eight "APCI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" devices.

I think this is one each for the five PCI card slots, plus the AGP slot and the ethernet and sound controllers, which are part of the motherboard.

One of them is shown as being disabled, and I'll bet it's the one for the sound hardware!

The question is, how do I enable it?

It doesn't show up in Device Manager, as presumably it's a hidden device, and unlike the Windows 2000 Device Manager, there seems to be no way in Windows 98 of getting Device Manager to show hidden devices.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

The way to unhide hidden devices in 98 is by going into safe mode. Do it, and delete *all* sound related drivers that show up. Then reboot into normal mode and install the sound card software using the manufacturer's setup program, not the update drive option, which, BTW, at this point, should not be available to you anymore, if you really removed all existing sound drivers to begin with. It may be necessary to reboot into safe mode more than once, to be able to rid the system from *all* sound drivers, before you can return to normal mode and install the drivers with the manufacturer's installer. Good luck!