Does Windows 7 > Windows XP ?

Engineering

i am mainly comparing the time of xp vs vista and now vista vs windows 7

for xp vs vista the drivers were not compatible, for vista vs windows 7 nearly all are.

yes the installation of drivers has been improved.

i guess we all have a different opinion on what "much faster" is.

it may also depend on the speed of the computer that it is running on.

Windows 7 is much faster.

wrong. the real Performance is the same on both.

The memory footprint has been reduced,

not much, only 40MB for me. And fewer memory usage doesn't make the system faster. Don't believe such marketing gags of such "memory improvement tools".

the prefetcher was completely rewritten, Windows 7 does an amazing job at caching

no, caching in Win7 is broken compared to Vista. Win7 leaves a huge amount of RAM wasted as free RAM. This may be ok if you have 6 or 8GB. Filling so much cache is not a good idea, but leaving 600MB free on a 2 GB system is bad. :realmad:

Vista was based on WDDM 1.0 and Windows 7 uses WDDM 1.1.

you're focusing on graphics drivers. the rest are mostly the same. ok network drivers are now NDIS 6.20. Vista was a major update, not such a minor update like Windows 7.

Windows 7 was written as a modular componentized operating system

no, same as in Vista. With Vista MSFT componentized the OS from a inf based OS to a OS based on packages.

For all those people that are going to hang onto Vista, I would ask "what does Vista have that 7 doesn't have?". And 7 has loads of new feature as well as faster speed (especially boot-up and install time) and that is using the RC version! The full retail version (or SP1 when that comes out) will be even better :D

And 7 has loads of new feature as well as faster speed (especially boot-up and install time) and that is using the RC version!
"Tests of the Windows 7 Release Candidate in a PC World Test Center found that while Windows 7 was slightly faster on our WorldBench 6 suite, the differences may be barely noticeable to users. The PCs tested were slightly faster when running Windows 7, but in no case was the overall improvement greater than 5 percent, considered to be a threshold for when an actual performance change is noticeable to the average user. One of the major complaints about Windows Vista was the fact that it was consistently slower than Windows XP. If Windows 7 can't significantly improve that situation, what chance does it have to convince people to move away from Windows XP?"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/164485/wind...benchmarks.html

Where do you get the idea that the RC contained loads of debugging code. As for your RTM really flying in comparison to the RC, did you run any tests or just going by seat of the pants? I haven't noticed any difference but will rerun my benchmarks one of these days.

For all those people that are going to hang onto Vista, I would ask "what does Vista have that 7 doesn't have?".

Ask the question what Win7 has compared to Vista which makes a huge improvement over Vista on what it is worth paying the price. Win7 is only a Vista R2 under a new name with some new things, some change and enhanced but also a lot things inferior compared to Vista. The real improvements are the enterprise features (BrancheCache, DirectAccess, RDS) which you'll never use as home user. Win7 is a nice update for Vista, but nothing special. And the real things which enhance productivity, stability are not implemented and most feedback was completely ignored and closed "By design".

That was with RC, which still contained loads of debugging code that was holding it back .

NO! You're always using the Free Builds, not the Checked builds!

You can run benchmarks all day and night. They usually are not related to real usage we go through with our systems.

Also, when was the last time the new OS from the big boys in redmond was actually faster on your hardware than the previous two Windows? If you have fast enough hardware, there is no speed lost from XP -> Win 7 in real life usage. At least not on my hardware.

Hello, I haven't tried Windows7 yet, but the main reason that kept me on XP even with Vista around was:

-I'd like to receive sure news about Trusted Computing. I'd really fear a SO that could lock me out of my files if a company decides so. Does anyone have info about it?

Other secondary, but not trivial, reasons or doubts:

-after SP3 and a custom install, XP Pro is now completely tamed (ok, only rebel for small things).

Switching means possible new SO problems, drive compatibility issues, new configuration from start, updating many programs (and lose some).

-will there still be the possibility to create custom unattended dvds for Win7?

-what is the best version compared to WinXpPro? How much will it cost? How many licences per computer?

-will W7 manage better its system resource needs? (memory, disk space)

-boot & shutdown improvements leave me doubtful.. my XP is super fast on an old pc with just some tweaking.

-did Microsoft really learn from XP great final result and Vista bad choices? (in the good way) :rolleyes:

Why change:

-only 32 bit for my current Xp version

-no full usage of multi processors

-no more Microsoft support (patches)

-no directx10

-losing compatibility in the future?

-improved SO graphical interface

-curiosity and need of new computer :P

What do you think of the new OS? Is it better than patched Vista or XP Pro, from the functional point?

Can you answer some of the questions? (expecially about TC)

Edited by phaolo

Any good SO on any version of windows can lock you out of your files...

Win7 has MUCH greater hardware compatability then Vista, other than that it is prolly time to upgrade (Especially in a buisness setting)

YES you can customize Win7 DVD's, although your going to have a harder time.

YES ms learned a lot form Vista

Win7 is only a Vista R2 under a new name with some new things, some change and enhanced but also a lot things inferior compared to Vista.
That just takes the cake. That clearly demonstrates your level of ignorance.

Hey, with the sentence "SO locking you out" I'm not talking about permissions and forgotten password.. I mean this:

"The current version of remote attestation facilitates the enforcement of policies against the wishes of computer owners. If the software you use is written with that goal in mind, the trusted computing architecture will not only protect data against intruders and viruses, but also against you. In effect, you, the computer owner, are treated as an adversary."

Is that possible or not?

Edited by phaolo

OK, brainstorm:

1. Why not, have you tried it?

3. Nobody forces you to upgrade to Windows 7 or to use a specific OS these times.

3. Vista came to me preinstalled on my laptop in the pre-SP1 time. It felt sluggish and the whole system not any faster than the old one. What made me downgrade was the "several seconds stalls". As I read in the blogs for 7, this was caused by applications stalling the GUI while swapping - because this is single threaded in Vista.

As I recently got a new hard disk and the RC was just available, I gave it a try. Biased by the Vista experience I was soon convinced to see something that works for me. I couldn't find a showstopper or a problem, that couldn't be fixed with the help of some Vista tips. The good support for applications and drivers is certainly different to when Vista was released. I'll stick with it.