need to know how to make a network with just a switch

hello guys

i need to make a net work with only a switch

i got two ethernet cards in the computers and both are win 98 and win me

what i done is plug em all up and every thing is pluged in

so what do i do next? what do i need to do with windows so i can see the other comps drives and stuff ???????????? becasue it dosent do anything yet ,i can get on the other computer from the win me or win 98 yet

sorry i never made a network before

on the switch theres 8 ports for ethernet and then one port that says uplink

Here's your other post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133157

If you're just networking two computers with no shared internet connection, you can just use a crossover cable.

If you insist on using the switch, connect the two computers via Cat5/5e/6 to ports on the switch. Don't connect them to the uplink one, since it is for connecting the switch to a router, broadband modem, another switch, etc.

With either of these methods, you will probably need to put IP's on them manually since switches don't provide DHCP. Is this where you are needing help, setting up TCP/IP on the Windows boxes?

Here's your other post:

[url=

With either of these methods, you will probably need to put IP's on them manually since switches don't provide DHCP. Is this where you are needing help, setting up TCP/IP on the Windows boxes?

yer

i connect them alll up

its just that i dont know what to do next

as jaclaz indicates (full-blown explanation and great read - been there!).

fwiw, did you set each pc to a different ip?

pc1 - 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0

pc2 - 192.168.0.3 /255.255.255.0

always worked for me (leave dns blank/empty; 192.168.0.1 is "usually" used for the dhcp/dns server)...

not sure if "uplink" will give you "shared internet" (i don't think so, since it's an "uplink" to the "next-in-chain", i.e. your h/w is only a switch/workgroup item and not a router), so if you need that, you'll probably need another NIC in the "primary" (hooked to ADSL or Cable - ip assigned by ISP dhcp), or just modem dial-up on "primary" (ip assigned). in either case, i believe that the "network connection wizard" from xp will help you out with that (freely available on MS website). there should be a method to do ICS on the 98se/me versions. (more on ICS if you get stuck/need it.)

enjoy reading jaclaz' link; it will explain "the whole world of networking" to you.

Edited by submix8c