vista service pack 2

MillenX

I'm sure some documentation will get released on how to do it. They always send us DVDs with the SP on it but we didn't get this one yet. I hope they just send us a whole new media because its annoying to make new Vista images. Right now it takes over 2 hours to make an SP1 image, but hopefully I'll figure out that WDS thing.

follow this it works 100%, happy stuff :thumbup

1.Prepare another hard disk or a drive partition (Guide: Change size of existing partition in Vista).

2.Install Windows Vista RTM to the secondary partition or drive (not the main boot or system partition). The primary reason for installing a new copy of Vista in another partition or drive is to ensure that no boot associated files of that computer related to BCD and boot.ini being part of the final Vista DVD image with SP1 integrated.

3.After installation finished, Windows Vista will boot into Out of the Box Experience (OOBE), where users will come to the part after setup that requires users to set up his or her user name, password, general settings and etc. Once in the OOBE phase, type Ctrl-Shift-F3 to enter Audit mode.

4.The system will reboot into Audit mode, and a SysPrep window will pop up and show. Do not close the SysPrep window.

5.Run the Vista SP1 setup installer (e.g. Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe, Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe or Windows6.0-KB936330-X86(x64)-wave0.exe), and let the service pack installation completes.

6.Optionally, users can run a new tool comes with SP1 called Vsp1cln.exe to remove older versions of components that have been upgraded to new versions in SP1 to save disk space. To remove these older RTM files, simply run Vsp1cln.exe via Winkey+R (Run command) or via the command prompt after SP1 is installed.

7.After the completion of SP1 service pack, the users will come back at the main Vista desktop with the SysPrep window open. At the SysPrep selection dialog, select OOBE, Generalize, and then Shut Down the system.

8.Boot the system into a WinPE disk or another OS install (i.e. Windows XP). Do NOT boot back into Vista.

9.Run the following imagex command (imagex can be download here or found in WAIK). Note that GimageX (a gui front-end for imagex) is not supported.

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Windows Vista Ultimate"

where d: is the drive Vista is installed on and c:\install.wim is the location to store the new install.wim. Replace “Ultimate” after the /flags switch with whatever edition of Vista installed (supported flags are HomeBasic, HomePremium, Starter, Ultimate, Enterprise, ServerDatacenter, ServerEnterprise and ServerStandardand, all no space between words) to slipstream SP1, and also the drive letter of where Vista is installed and location to save the generated install.wim.

10.Once the image has been built, replace the old install.wim in the Vista RTM ISO in \Sources\ with the newly created install.wim using a registered version of UltraISO (Version 8.0 or higher). Save the ISO and you’re done.

You can also rebuild the ISO using vLite by extracting the contents of the Vista RTM ISO to a temporary directory, replacing the install.wim and using vLite’s Vista Burning/ISO creation features. One can also use vLite to remove unwanted features in Vista SP1.

Note that the whole process above is to slipstream SP1 into a single edition of Vista. To integrate SP1 into all the editions of Vista, repeat steps above for each edition and use the imagex /append function to build an install.wim that contains all the editions of Vista, and then replace the original install.wim with install.wim with all editions or editions required in the RTM ISO image as per last 2 steps.

follow this it works 100%, happy stuff :thumbup

1.Prepare another hard disk or a drive partition (Guide: Change size of existing partition in Vista).

2.Install Windows Vista RTM to the secondary partition or drive (not the main boot or system partition). The primary reason for installing a new copy of Vista in another partition or drive is to ensure that no boot associated files of that computer related to BCD and boot.ini being part of the final Vista DVD image with SP1 integrated.

3.After installation finished, Windows Vista will boot into Out of the Box Experience (OOBE), where users will come to the part after setup that requires users to set up his or her user name, password, general settings and etc. Once in the OOBE phase, type Ctrl-Shift-F3 to enter Audit mode.

4.The system will reboot into Audit mode, and a SysPrep window will pop up and show. Do not close the SysPrep window.

5.Run the Vista SP1 setup installer (e.g. Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe, Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe or Windows6.0-KB936330-X86(x64)-wave0.exe), and let the service pack installation completes.

6.Optionally, users can run a new tool comes with SP1 called Vsp1cln.exe to remove older versions of components that have been upgraded to new versions in SP1 to save disk space. To remove these older RTM files, simply run Vsp1cln.exe via Winkey+R (Run command) or via the command prompt after SP1 is installed.

7.After the completion of SP1 service pack, the users will come back at the main Vista desktop with the SysPrep window open. At the SysPrep selection dialog, select OOBE, Generalize, and then Shut Down the system.

8.Boot the system into a WinPE disk or another OS install (i.e. Windows XP). Do NOT boot back into Vista.

9.Run the following imagex command (imagex can be download here or found in WAIK). Note that GimageX (a gui front-end for imagex) is not supported.

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Windows Vista Ultimate"

where d: is the drive Vista is installed on and c:\install.wim is the location to store the new install.wim. Replace “Ultimate” after the /flags switch with whatever edition of Vista installed (supported flags are HomeBasic, HomePremium, Starter, Ultimate, Enterprise, ServerDatacenter, ServerEnterprise and ServerStandardand, all no space between words) to slipstream SP1, and also the drive letter of where Vista is installed and location to save the generated install.wim.

10.Once the image has been built, replace the old install.wim in the Vista RTM ISO in \Sources\ with the newly created install.wim using a registered version of UltraISO (Version 8.0 or higher). Save the ISO and you’re done.

You can also rebuild the ISO using vLite by extracting the contents of the Vista RTM ISO to a temporary directory, replacing the install.wim and using vLite’s Vista Burning/ISO creation features. One can also use vLite to remove unwanted features in Vista SP1.

Note that the whole process above is to slipstream SP1 into a single edition of Vista. To integrate SP1 into all the editions of Vista, repeat steps above for each edition and use the imagex /append function to build an install.wim that contains all the editions of Vista, and then replace the original install.wim with install.wim with all editions or editions required in the RTM ISO image as per last 2 steps.

COPYPASTA!

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=134397

officially there is no way to slipstream a ServicePack in Vista and in Windows 7 there will also be NO option to do it.

they said the same thing about service pack 1 if you recall, then nuhi made it happen

Edited by hclarkjr

they said the same thing about service pack 1 if you recall, then nuhi made it happen

Not supported doesn't mean it doesn't work, but I do remember that integrating an SP with vLite ends up with problems installing the next for most people, so caveat emptor.

Not supported doesn't mean it doesn't work, but I do remember that integrating an SP with vLite ends up with problems installing the next for most people, so caveat emptor.

Very true. On all of my Vista SP1 installs that I used media created with Vlite, not one will install SP2. I recieve an error message:

Service Pack installation cannot continue

One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing.

A link from the window goes here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968279

Not very promising.... I am performing the "Option 1: Perform an in-place upgrade to Windows Vista" . 2 hours in. OUCH!!

I will let you guys know what I find out.

no, not nuhi made it happen, it was Albert ;) And I know how the hack works and the error message come from MS, the check for the vLite reg key even if you only integrate the Sp1 with vLite.