If there is some tools to liten win7?

estore

It would already be a great help if someone writes a frontend for DISM. Should be rather easy. It should:

1) Mount the WIM-file

2) Make all packages available (by removing the "Owners" keys from and setting the Visibility to 1 in the Software hive

3) List the available packages (by parsing the DISM output and putting a checkbox for every package)

4) Removing the selected packages and check whether DISM was successful

5) Unmount the WIM-file, committing the changes.

One would probably have not so much work when doing this in AutoIt, for example.

I am writing some GUI for DISM. Expect something in one-two months.

great :)

i tested dism too bad its not remove files from winsxs dir

and when i delete them[ the files that dism removed] manually

the setup wont install same component and reset the setup :S

if u need help with what could be remove i will love to help

Edited by aviv00

vlite is not the perfect one to liten win7

windows 7 is already fast, why would you want to strip it!? :thumbup:ph34r:

its still bloat with files and backup files in winsxs dir

movies get backuped in winsxs for what ?

NO!

The files are stored inside WinSxS folder and are LINKED into the destination folders like it was in Vista! The Backup folder only contains important files which are protected by the WRP (Windows Resource Protection, the successor of the Windows File Protection from XP)

What movies get backed up in winsxs??

Either way, I have some good experiences with a vLited W7 installation that was faster than its its un-vLited equivalent. Plus, it just feels better to get rid of what you don't use. Then again, I must say I'm not really convinced that it's worth the amount of time you (or at least I) put in it before it actually works.

Has anyone had any luck with vLite and build 7077 x64?

I'm getting errors at installation (reports that files are corrupted...contact your administrator, etc) when i try. And this seems to be the case for whatever i try to take out. Vlite worked fine on build 7068 and, strangely, seems to work for 7077 32 bit....but not x64.

NO!

The files are stored inside WinSxS folder and are LINKED into the destination folders like it was in Vista! The Backup folder only contains important files which are protected by the WRP (Windows Resource Protection, the successor of the Windows File Protection from XP)

i checked the space that used and how much space used via properties saw only 1giga difference

did a test with whereisit [app]

saw that 7.2giga are dupes files mean they could be twice or 3 times or even 4 times in the hdd

7.2 GB / 8.6 GB total

around 90% are dupes

mean the real size that should be is

8.6-7.2 + 7.2/2 = 1.6+3.6 = 5.2GB there a big difference

properties on the drive say 7.57GB

anyway i gonna install it when the rc comes out :)

@Guillaume just run search for wmv files in it

Edited by aviv00

Okay, I found 64 video sample files, adding up to almost 100 MB, now what? :s Still don't get your point, obviously. Furthermore, I can hardly believe such redundancy as you said you found; are you sure it's not just a couple of hardlinks to the same data on the hard drive? You should remove one of those files and see if there's actually some hd-space freeing up, or if it's just a link being removed.

Still every time you install a hotfix, it has to install a zillion other copies of the same file? If files are being counted more than once, you still lose that space since it appears none of the utilities can handle links correctly/not include them.