The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I got to the point where it says user partition format and accidently jostled the hdd, a bunch of letters started appearing so i tried again. the second time I was successful but it still is not recognized in bios. Did I break it on the first attempt or Is there a way to recover the data or even just make the hdd usable again?

Edited by jusufin

Basically, the drive makes a clicking sound for around 10 seconds (it seems that it clicks eleven times) and then gives the error 1009. This repeats

I have cleaned the contacts already carefully and i am sure i have tighten the screws.

Do i have any hope of recovering the drive? Thanks for any help. I have found others complaining about eleven clicks as well but nobody seem to have resolved it.

BUT, does it spin up or does it not?

See:

Unfortunately all you can do is what is here :( :

which you seemingly already did.

jaclaz

It does spin but click 11 times. If anybody has any comments appreciated

I got to the point where it says user partition format and accidently jostled the hdd, a bunch of letters started appearing so i tried again. the second time I was successful but it still is not recognized in bios. Did I break it on the first attempt or Is there a way to recover the data or even just make the hdd usable again?

The random characters were probably caused when the GND wire touched something. It shouldn't have broken anything. Just try the whole process again, making sure the wires are secure and not touching and make sure you do all the steps carefully.

Edited by BlouBul

It does spin but click 11 times. If anybody has any comments appreciated

No way (that we know about and that have been tested succesfully), sorry :(.

That should mean heads (or pre-amp) are gone for good:

http://forum.hddguru.com/seagate-7200-1tb-spinup-clicking-spindown-t12769.html

but in the above there is seemingly a report about someone who downgraded the firmware and then re-upgraded it that could be something to try (of course ONLY if you don't have anything to loose OR you simply cannot afford professional recovery services).

Here it is hinted instead that resetting S.M.A.R.T. may help:

http://forum.hddguru.com/dead-seagate-barracuda-7200-st3500320as-t17638.html

If the issue is the spinning up not reaching full speed :unsure:, you can try holding the drive vertical during spin up, but this is VERY near the border of "magic"....

BTW, did you check the heads contacts also?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I successfully completed the steps and its still not recognized in bios. I'm wondering if it's even the bsy error now. I'll describe the problem in a little more detail in case anyone has a clue as to what is wrong.

1. About a month ago I started having problems loading windows 8. It would freeze up and take about 30 minutes to an hour to load, then would run fine after that.

2. The PC started acting as if no hdd was installed. it spins up fine and makes no strange noise but cant be seen in bios.

3. I tried changing the cables and tested a new hdd to check if the problem was with something else, Everything worked fine so I assume the problem is with the hdd.

4. From my internet research, I find that my model/firmware is affected with the bsy error. I assume that's what it is since the symptoms closely resemble bsy error symptoms.

5. I successfully completed the steps to unbrick the drive and its still not being detected.

If anyone has any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if maybe i should try unbricking it again?

It would freeze up and take about 30 minutes to an hour to load, then would run fine after that.

BSY is a sudden occurrance. If the hdd started to act funny, but sometimes still worked, it is not BSY.

2. The PC started acting as if no hdd was installed. it spins up fine and makes no strange noise but cant be seen in bios.

3. I tried changing the cables and tested a new hdd to check if the problem was with something else, Everything worked fine so I assume the problem is with the hdd.

4. From my internet research, I find that my model/firmware is affected with the bsy error. I assume that's what it is since the symptoms closely resemble bsy error symptoms.

The rest of the things , however, does sound like BSY. You might have more than one problem (or one big one that is not within the scope of this thread)

5. I successfully completed the steps to unbrick the drive and its still not being detected.

If anyone has any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if maybe i should try unbricking it again?

No harm in trying the fix once more to make sure you did it right the first time.

Edited by BlouBul

I have been following this thread closely and done like everything needed to try and recover my ST3500320AS 500G Seagate drive with SD81 firmware. Every step works as recommended in Hyperterminal through a RS323/TTL converter.

I have even done the "F3 T>i4,1,22" command suggested for SD81 firmware drives.

I have also done "F,,22" command and received a "Drive Configuration restored to Default" result.

The "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" command yielded, "User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 sec" - I think this zero time elapse indicates that nothing was done or achieved from the command inserted. With this result I even tried the recommended alternative command, "m0,6,2,0,0,0,0,22" with the same zero Elapsed Time message at the end.

My Seagate HDD is still not detected by the BIOS. Back to square one.

What else can I do?

I have also done "F,,22" command and received a "Drive Configuration restored to Default" result.

Well, this is NOT part of the "standard", "recoommended" guides, WHY exactly did you issued that? :unsure:

Or you did that on a a second attempt?

Basically running the "F,,22" command is of little use unless you also check the setting (to see if it is set correctly).

The checking command for the SD15 is F712, but it may vary with different firmwares.

Compare with:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336056446&postcount=6

What else can I do?

Try restarting from scratch.

FORGET about anything that you read anywhere else and just re-do the steps from THIS:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

guide EXACTLY as they are.

There are quite a few reports about people failing that succeeded by simply re-doing the procedure from scratch.

jaclaz

jaclaz, thank you for your reply and your suggestion which I carried out.

I went through the whole procedure and followed the exact steps and still my HDD is not detected by the BIOS.

The thing I noticed is that after the command to do a partition regeneration (m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22), the HDD returned the final message of "User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00sec" in my case. As I mentioned before, the zero elapsed time indicates that nothing was done.

Any more ideas what I can do?

I got several zero elapsed time (yesterday 2 of them) and the hard drives work fine.

Good for you, smandurlo.

Unfortunately, mine still did not work.

On top of the BIOS not detecting the HDD, the HDD caused the Windows 7 boot-up to hang. Without the HDD connected, boot-up went normal.

On top of the BIOS not detecting the HDD, the HDD caused the Windows 7 boot-up to hang. Without the HDD connected, boot-up went normal.

Sometimes using an external USB enclosure and connecting it to an already booted system, the disk becomes accessible.

You can try that and see if a disk editor, like tiny hexer or a recovery tool like DMDE can access the disk, possibly seen as RAW and thus asking to initialize it in disk management, i.e. DO NOT try opening disk management.

jaclaz

Sometimes using an external USB enclosure and connecting it to an already booted system, the disk becomes accessible.

You can try that and see if a disk editor, like tiny hexer or a recovery tool like DMDE can access the disk, possibly seen as RAW and thus asking to initialize it in disk management, i.e. DO NOT try opening disk management.

jaclaz

I used the external USB enclosure and didn't have the drive recognized. Connecting it directly to the PC fixed the problem:

Juergen

I used the external USB enclosure and didn't have the drive recognized. Connecting it directly to the PC fixed the problem:

Juergen

Well, with all due respect :), that's incomplete/unfinalized anecdotal reference at it's best. :w00t:

You had a working (revived) disk drive inside a "botched" enclosure (or maybe an old model not able to recognize a disk bigger than - say - 128 Gb).

A working disk will work as direct connection AND inside a working USB enclosure.

Some "half-botched" disks may send *queer* signals to the BIOS or to the OS when connected directly preventing booting, while the on-board controller of the USB enclosure may be less sensitive to it, as well some timing problems that are critical in the booting phase may be avoided by connecting the disk to an already booted system.

You can also fake :ph34r: that the Sata connection is actually an e-sata connection, thus allowing hot-plug of the disk directly after boot.

Unfortunately :( this is only part "science", the other part being "magic" or "luck" or "fate" or whatever you want to call something that is "immaterial" ;).

jaclaz

Thank you all for suggesting various ways to get the HDD noticed by my computer.

I have yet to try one more method; that of putting the HDD in an enclosure and plugging it to the USB port. Been very busy with work and visitors, but I shall soon get hold of an enclosure, most possibly by this weekend.

I will then report back the outcome.

Thanks again, guys and gals.