Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

The hyperterminal only receives "LED:000000CC FAddr:002493D1" each minute since I have conected to the hard drive.

Anybody knows how to overide this?

Yes... read the procedure to the letter :whistle:

Hint: you have to disconnect the motor and/or head-contacts from the PCB before

powering up the unit.

You'll get this message when the controller on the PCB was able to load the firmware

off the drive (it is stored on the platters, that's why you have to put in a cardstock).

Greetz,

Peter.

any solutions for a maxtor diamondmax 22 500go

Loop up :unsure:

This thread is for Seagate drives running SD15 firmware only :whistle:

Greetz,

Peter.

The hyperterminal only receives "LED:000000CC FAddr:002493D1" each minute since I have conected to the hard drive.

Anybody knows how to overide this?

Yes... read the procedure to the letter :whistle:

Hint: you have to disconnect the motor and/or head-contacts from the PCB before

powering up the unit.

You'll get this message when the controller on the PCB was able to load the firmware

off the drive (it is stored on the platters, that's why you have to put in a cardstock).

Greetz,

Peter.

It's not that case. You are talking about a message like "LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67".

But now my case is worst, the drive seems to be bricked definetely. It doesn't shows anything in the hyperterminal and doesn't do anything with crt+Z even with the PCB isolated of the drive.

Can I consider it a brick forever?

Thanks

I'm a bit confused now... :unsure:

A little time later you wrote:

Update: I powered it off to reconnect it in a better place and [...] when I disconnect the PCB from the main hard disk, it responds to ctrl+z.

Maybe you should check if the TX- and RX-wires to your RS232 <=> TTL interface

are properly making contact (and be sure the ground is also connected).

If that doesn't work... well, maybe your PCB indeed is fried, who knows? :huh:

Greetz,

Peter.

I'm a bit confused now... :unsure:

A little time later you wrote:

Update: I powered it off to reconnect it in a better place and [...] when I disconnect the PCB from the main hard disk, it responds to ctrl+z.

Maybe you should check if the TX- and RX-wires to your RS232 <=> TTL interface

are properly making contact (and be sure the ground is also connected).

If that doesn't work... well, maybe your PCB indeed is fried, who knows? :huh:

Greetz,

Peter.

After test the hyperterminal connection with the PCB removed from the HD, I tried to remove the "BUSY" problem following the how-to. All seemed good during the process but when I restarted the disk, it doesn't respond to any command in hyperterminal.

Now the disk is detected by BIOS, but not by Windows and it doesn't respond to the inputs I've tried in the hyperterminal.

Thanks

In the BIOS, at the POST (the first thing you see when starting up your PC), what's

the size reported for that drive?

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 26.788 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

F3 2>

any solutions?

Since you already have an F-prompt (for "Failure"), I'm afraid the motor-driver or

controler on the PCB is defective, which is not easy/possible to repair yourself. :unsure:

Greetz,

Peter.

Hi all

First of all, thanks to all of you for this great thread.

I've a Seagate STM3160813AS 7.200.11 with MC1H firmware, and it dies last YEAR. I used a CA-42 cable, and all goes ok. As you know, i must get a message like this

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level =14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

But, at the end, i get this one

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level =00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

??? Yeah, The line "User Partition Format 10%,..." is missing. I've tried several times, but at the end, i get the same message: always without this line. HDD don't work. BIOS NOT recognize it.

Any idea?

Edited by rameshk

Seagate Barracuda 500M ST3500620AS

HELP! HELP! Please

I am trying to recover this HD showing BIOHD-2 Error code, BIOS does not recognize it at all.

I reworked a Nokia ca-53 USB cable. I used GND (pin 4 on USB), Data+ (pin 3 on USB) as RX on HDD, Data- (pin 2 on USB) as TX on HDD. My main problem in that connecting the USB cable to a working PC I get the message "unknown USB device", so I do not have any possibility to start Hyperterminal, is anybody able to suggest me a solution.

Forget me if my english is not so good, I am Italian and I am trying to do my best.

Thanks in advance, Silverfox (maybe not to smart as a fox!)

Thanks in advance, Silverfox (maybe not to smart as a fox!)

Maybe blind as a bat? (translates to cieco come una talpa ;))

We have a sticky:

EXACTLY to convey the idea of:

NOT using a Nokia cable

These problems are the ones that take the most part of this thread:

• wrong/missing connections/schematics
  • "fake" cables manufactured by every other Chinese electronic firm around using different chips and drivers
  • extreme difficulties in finding the "right" driver
  • extreme difficulties in actually installing the "right" driver, IF found

Some "Nokia" cables draw power from the telephone in normal operation and NEED to be powered from the non-USB size and connected in order to even install the drivers, see point #11 of the mentioned sticky.

A cheap "real" thing can be found for a handful of Euros, example (for Italy):

http://cgi.ebay.it/Cavo-Seriale-JTAG-USB-TTL-rs232-fonera-DD-WRT-Seagate-/230488097483?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cavi_Prolunghe_Convertitori&hash=item35aa2942cb

jaclaz

I've a Seagate STM3160813AS 7.200.11 with MC1H firmware,

[...]

But, at the end, i get this one

As you might already have noticed, this thread is about 7200.11 drives running SD15 firmware.

While the info *might* be useful on other drive-types and/or firmware-version, we have no

experience with other drives/firmware, so you're completely on your own with them.

It *may* be possible to use the SD15 procedure as a guide, but you really have to interpret

what is done in the procedure here and transpose it to commands/steps for your drive.

Since I'm not familiar with problems on your drive-type and firmware, it wouldn't surprise

me if it actually suffers from an entirely different problem. :unsure:

Greetz,

Peter.

Gradius...

Need your assistance with Seagate harddrive..

I have all components to fix the BUSY state problem. I have connected as follows:

I have soldered jumper wires to the Voltage, Ground, rx and tx ports on Rs232 shifter SMD. Connected from shifter smd to opposite rx tx on Seagate drive and voltage and grnd to power supply from Computer. Made sure that I used only red and black wires for Max 5volts.

First According to your instructions I did not power up the seagate with sata power. So the only power is 5volts to rs232 smd shifter...and with this i did not get the required prompt on Hyperterminal... instead I get a Right arrow.

Secondly, I tried powering up the pcb with Sata power from comp( segate powerd and also Rs232 powerd.. the hyperterminal answer i get is "port cannot be opened". I am using usb to serial cable.

Please advise..

(

First things first, maridadi :whistle:

• First make sure your communications-device is seen in Windows (install correct driver)
  • Then make sure the device (itself) is working properly (create a loopback) without
    anything attached to it.
  • After that, try to make things happen: get a command-prompt from the drive's PCB
    and see if it responds to anything you type (everything should be echood back).
    If it isn't responding try to get it working by reversing the RX- and TX-lines double-
    checking the connection-properties (baudrate, flow-control, etc.)

You didn't tell us what (brand, type of) USB -> (TTL) RS232 convertor you're using. :unsure:

We need to have as much as possible (relevant) information before anything can be said.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

You didn't tell us what (brand, type of) USB -> (TTL) RS232 convertor you're using. :unsure:

How many "Rs232 shifter SMD" are there around? :whistle:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=449

@maridadi

Check ATTENTIVELY these (about 15 posts starting from here) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2326

AND points 6 to 10 in the "reame_first":

jaclaz