Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

ok after several months of ignoring this non-working maxtor basics 500GB external hd, i decided to open it and see if it works as a internal hd. of course: no success. yesterday i checked for the first time what hd was inside, a-ha: seagate barracuda 7200.11, google.... and ooh my see what fancy HD i got there! that so many people seem to love and try to put it back to work, giving solutions how to fix and so on.. you all know better than me. but that just gave me the courage to try it myself now! :)

so far i figured out, that i seem to have the BSY one cause its not detected in my BIOS.

next step, i read a lot threads and walkthroughs and have a slight idea of what is going on...

so now i need equipment. luckily i have a T6 but i still need some kind of adapter

and there is now my questions:

did anyone try THIS ONE and can recommend it? seems like it is the way of minimal work and money ;)

im just about to buy it but wonder two things:

1. the power comes from the usb and gives 3.3V so i wont need the gnd cable or battery or anything, right?

2. do those 2.54mm plugs fit into the 7200.11's RX and TX?

thx for any help :)

did anyone try THIS ONE and can recommend it? seems like it is the way of minimal work and money ;)

im just about to buy it but wonder two things:

1. the power comes from the usb and gives 3.3V so i wont need the gnd cable or battery or anything, right?

2. do those 2.54mm plugs fit into the 7200.11's RX and TX?

It looks like you've found a winner (though I haven't tested it myself)! :thumbup

According to the description it is self-powered, outputting 3.3V TTL signals, which is perfect.

The 2.54mm pitched plug won't fit directly, since the drive uses a 2mm pitched connector, but

that will only be a small hurdle to take: just fiddle the wires from the housing and connect

them directly to the pins (in the right order, of course) ;)

You might need to pinch them a bit to make them fit snugly.

Keep us posted: it may help others in finding a good working (and cheap) convertor :hello:

Greetz,

Peter.

Yep, the FTDI PL303 chip is said to be very reliable.

You won't need an external power source, NO. :thumbup

It is STRONGLY recommended to use GROUND, ALWAYS! :realmad:

READ points #6 and #7 in the read-me-first:

Don't you wonder WHY that adapter has THREE leads (Tx/Rx/GND)?

Or do you think they haven't thought of saving 0.01 US$ and give you just Tx and Rx? ;)

Should you want TWO of them and with also a +5V line:

http://cgi.ebay.it/2x-USB-auf-Seriell-Adapter-Kabel-Konverter-TTL-RS232-PC-/320550268639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DE_Technik_Computerzubeh%C3%B6r_Kabel_Adapter&hash=item4aa248eedf

Seriously, only to confirm that the PL2303 is a known "good work horse".

From the photo on your link it seems not like a 2.54 mm plug, but rather single connectors, that you can use allright, all you will need is (maybe) a pair of pliers to "tighten" them a bit...

This is a Dupont connector housing 2.54:

http://cgi.ebay.it/50pcs-Dupont-Connector-Housing-Female-2-54mm-2x5P-/140368742795

i.e. it's a "housing" for the single wire connectors.

If you want an actual 2 mm pitch plug, you can have it with a *small* surcharge :w00t::

http://cgi.ebay.it/INTERFACCIA-USB-3V-TTL-per-HD-Seagate-7200-11-no-rs232-/190387498311?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Accessori_per_Radioamatori&hash=item2c53faad47

Sometimes I cannot believe it, the Italian text:

Questo prodotto e montato con componenti professionali.

il connettore lato HD e passo 2mm originale americano

questo e importante, altrimenti si rischia di perdere i dati sul HD

means:

This product is assembled with professional components.

the connector on HD side is 2 mm pitch original american

this is important, otherwise you risk loosing the data on the HD

:ph34r:

jaclaz

If you want an actual 2 mm pitch plug, you can have it with a *small* surcharge :w00t::

Hahahahaha, I never knew those 2mm pitched housings "Only" costs €27.31 :lol:

Thank you for the answers, i just ordered the adapter i mentioned and hopefully get data back soon :)

What confuses me about the ground is that following the readme-first-thread there should always be something attached to the HDs GND pin. but neither in this

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Seagate%20topic/fix04.jpg

nor this

http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_iEh-WLXnVwk/Sasqhl13ZeI/AAAAAAAAAL0/2fJ65SIzz2I/s800/Seagate%20Fix%20036.JPG

i can see that in the shown pictures. there are just 2 cables to hd, which i guess are tx and rx

Furhtermore i read in http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/:

"You can also use a 3V battery, or 2 or 3 AA's in series, etc. If using a battery, you must also connect the RS232-to-TTL adapter's ground pin to the hard drive ground pin, or it will not work. The two devices must share a common ground in order to communicate. If they're powered by the same power supply, then that will insure that they share a ground."

Im not much of an expert but i think if that statement is corret that it is also valid for the usb-ttl-adapter i mentioned.

You should always ground an unbalanced communications-line.

If anyone states otherwise, he or she is wrong. :huh:

Sure, when a communication-line shares the same power-supply it *might* work, but

technically it's very wrong and can (will!) induce a ground loop. :blink:

Hope this gives you some more insight on the topic ;)

(Just watch the space below me and you'll see Jaclaz confirming this... I hope) :rolleyes:

Greetz,

Peter.

(Just watch the space below me and you'll see Jaclaz confirming this... I hope) :rolleyes:

I have nothing much to add to what I wrote in points #6 and #7 of the read-me-first, but I can add the following data collection from a statistical viewpoint. (actual data for the "those that did NOT use ground is obviously faked :whistle:, but anyway representative of actual values :unsure:):

Group A (those that did connect properly the ground):

• Percentage of success 100%
  • Problems with connection 0%
  • Whining about the guide/tutorial 0%

Group B (those that did NOT connect properly the ground):

• Percentage of success 56.65%
  • Problems with connection 34,35% (of which solved by connecting ground 99.99% +/- 0.01%)
  • Whining about the guide/tutorials 34,35%

In other words, we have NO reports of people having problems with the ground connection, and a significative number of reports about people that had problems with the connection that were INVARIABLY solved once ground connection was established.

Since you have that connector available, and there is NO evidence that it creates a problem, why NOT connecting it? :unsure:

Or, let's put it in yet another way, try without the ground connected, if it works, good :), if it doesn't try again after connecting the ground, and hope that the problem was just the ground :ph34r: .

Grounding is, as said STRONGLY advised, which doesn't mean that is COMPULSORY, not that the stoopid hard disk cannot be revived without a ground connection, it simply means that if I were you I would connect the ground too, with a total surcharge in costs of 0.00 US$ AND no harm done to any living being in the making of. ;)

jaclaz

Jaclaz,

My sincere apologies for the confusion and opening another thread. My first time here and did not read the rules and regulations first. Bear with me:) :

You didn't tell us what (brand, type of) USB -> (TTL) RS232 convertor you're using. :unsure:

How many "Rs232 shifter SMD" are there around? :whistle:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=449

@maridadi

Check ATTENTIVELY these (about 15 posts starting from here) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2326

AND points 6 to 10 in the "reame_first":

jaclaz

Using a Prolific USB to Serial converter

Jaclaz,

My sincere apologies for the confusion and opening another thread. My first time here and did not read the rules and regulations first. Bear with me:) :

You didn't tell us what (brand, type of) USB -> (TTL) RS232 convertor you're using. :unsure:

How many "Rs232 shifter SMD" are there around? :whistle:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=449

@maridadi

Check ATTENTIVELY these (about 15 posts starting from here) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2326

AND points 6 to 10 in the "reame_first":

jaclaz

I have all components to fix the BUSY state problem. I have connected as follows:

I have soldered jumper wires to the Voltage, Ground, rx and tx ports on Rs232 shifter SMD. Connected from shifter smd to opposite rx tx on Seagate drive and voltage and grnd to power supply from Computer. Made sure that I used only red and black wires for Max 5volts.

Jaclaz,

No prob :), but then forget anything I wrote about the actual Rs232 shifter SMD, since you are NOT using one. :w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

i have maxtor diamondmax 23 stm3320418as firmware cc73. bios setup does not detect it. when i connect it to power supply disk spins. when system starts it take a long time to show message "

boot failed ..."

i read this topics but i cant find RS232 - TTL adapter. please help me to build it myself. thanks

Jaclaz,

I am using a Rs232 shifter smd purchased from Sparkfun..

I have all components to fix the BUSY state problem. I have connected as follows:

I have soldered jumper wires to the Voltage, Ground, rx and tx ports on Rs232 shifter SMD. Connected from shifter smd to opposite rx tx on Seagate drive and voltage and grnd to power supply from Computer. Made sure that I used only red and black wires for Max 5volts.

Jaclaz,

No prob :), but then forget anything I wrote about the actual Rs232 shifter SMD, since you are NOT using one. :w00t:

jaclaz

Peter,

After powering up Converter (rs232 shifter smd), making sure rx and tx are connected to hdd, and finally powering up HDD i get the follwing message during hyper terminal session.. "unable to open com4. check your port settings". NOte hdd is powered up by the normal sata cable coming from pc power supply.. I made sure that Prolific USB to Serial cable drivers were downloaded and also under device manager, the hardware is shown under ports as Com4. Please advise