Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

SUCCESS!!!!! Way to go all. We knew that the negative publicity would eventually cause Seagate to react!

PS: anyone want this RS-232 connection that I don't need any more? LOL

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbupSeagate offers fix, free data recovery for bricked Barracudas :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16246

Thank you for doing the right thing Seagate, maybe you can fire Alanm and make our day. :hello:

I have the 500GB ST3500320AS with firmware SD15, serial 9Qxxxxxx purchased in december. Just got of chatting with the support. We have to wait for the firmware until next week...

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

Hello. How may I help you?

aliveathome: I just read this page, http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207931 I´m looking for an firmware update to my still working drive...

Thomas M.: Unfortunately, an update is not available yet. The engineers are looking at the issue now, and they are looking at having the firmware update available, hopefully at the later part of next week.

aliveathome: is that the same thing with all the 7200.11 barracudas?

Thomas M.: This is a 7200.11 drive yes

aliveathome: yes

Thomas M.: Only the models listed in the KB article.

aliveathome: ok, so I need to wait until next week for an update to my drive?

Thomas M.: Check back with us, middle to later par of next week.

aliveathome: ok, thanks and goodbye!

the EEPROM on my board is a 25fw406a.

Thanks you

EEPROM List:

---------------

25FW406A: 2

-------------

http://www.sacg.com.tw/sacweb/marcom/epape...W406_v2.3_e.pdf

gvsyn, pichi

Nice find, so I have hopes to desolder it and hard flash it with a Serial Flasher, but I'll need a good firmware version first, and it should be extracted directly from serial flash IC, since .lod files are cryptographed by $eagate.

Gradius

.lod files are NOT cryptographed by $eagate.

If you opens it with hex viewer you can see plain text something.

SUCCESS!!!!! Way to go all. We knew that the negative publicity would eventually cause Seagate to react!

PS: anyone want this RS-232 connection that I don't need any more? LOL

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbupSeagate offers fix, free data recovery for bricked Barracudas :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Thank you for doing the right thing Seagate, maybe you can fire Alanm and make our day. :hello:

yeah, i've been wondering that. guess it might be time to reassemble the drive, and not solder wires to it for the rs232 (seem to not quickly be able to get suitable socket/bucket wires over here in blighty - at maplin anyway). Still, the test/diagnostic pads at the back maybe the way to go for it

Good news. It was about time they've acknowledged the problem. We owe The Inquirer and The Register and other sites for giving publicity to our case. I've been using Seagate for 6 years now and I've been satisfied till now. I got two ST31500341AS with SD17. I only have one in my computer at the moment(don't have enough sata cables :S). The only problem is when I stream my movies on XBMC it doesn't work properly. I've orderd a 1TB samsung to backup some stuff. Just to be on the safe side.

Good luck to you all.

Edited by Beet

Thank you for doing the right thing Seagate, maybe you can fire AlanM and make our day. :hello:

LOL! :blushing:

Well, its the ideal to them to recover the data, but I don't see that on his site, they only talk about the models affected.

It would be nice if I could find that information (about recovering) on official site, so I can have a probe in case I would need to use it.

Gradius

Jason H.: Hello. How may I help you?

Steve John: I am here for the 1TB Firmware error as explained on the URL http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207931

Jason H.: Sure, there will be a firmware update in the next few days, I would check back Tuesday just to make sure.

Steve John: OK. Do I need to contact you again, or will it be freely downloadable?

Jason H.: It should be available, but if it is not jump back into chat and we wil be able to get it for you .

Steve John: Thanks

Lets see on Tuesday then.

Gradius

interesting about the data recovery rumours. i wonder if they will offer this worldwide though? would surprise me! but it wouldn't surprise me if they blacklisted the folks that posted their drive details in here (people like me :()!

[...]

That is some great news, free data recovery would be very nice. I'm waiting for an *official* statement on the free part of it though.

Anyway, it's a good thing they're working on a fix and acknowledge the problem, apparently this thread did it's job quite nicely :D I've already bought a second drive to replace my bricked 7200.11, but IMO this is the least Seagate can do (in a fair way) for their customers. I really hope I can get my data back using their free recovery service!

correct me if i'm wrong, but does this mean we could 'unlock' the drives over rs232, then apply the firmware update? just a bit curious as, could unlock the drive, use another for a couple of days as the system drive to apply the firmware update.

Finally we are seeing Seagate admit this. I think AlanM and BradC from the Seagate forums owe us an apology for censoring our discussions!!!

Very very stupid of them to do that, when they can utilize our comments and contact us to find out more for damage control instead of shutting us. A good lesson for people in Seagate. In any case, regardless of what happens, I'm never going to buy another Seagate anymore. This episode is just too bad for customer experience.

I've also asked them if they will compensate us for those who have actually bought the third party utility to fix our hard disks while waiting for them to actually admit fault and now offer free data recovery services.

Edited by poolcarpet

i believe it is official, although no action has been documented to have taken place as of yet. The word is spreading fast, and even my administrator heard of it and has now informed me as well. A magazine company that i contacted also notified me of the recent news. They asked me to keep them up to date, with regards to how everything actually turns out. We will see, because if they do jerk people around, then it will surely be in articles world wide. Although, I don't think that will happen, or at least i hope it won't.

Glad to hear them making steps to resolve this....

I just freakin ordered the $500 Salvation Data solution yesterday!!! They've already shipped it out via DHL today. Oh well, if I can't return it or refuse it, as least I'll have my data back quickly.... I wonder how long the normal turn-around will be for Seagate to recover these drives. By the looks of it..... they'll be pretty backlogged to begin with!! <shrugs>