Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

http://www.salvationdata.com/faq/index.php...&artlang=en

HD Doctor For Maxtor ID #1121

Maxtor Module 51 Error (generally p-list), how to deal?

It's a common error for Maxtor drive, which has no influence on normal functionality of drive.

Last update: 2008-08-05 21:30

Seagate bought Maxtor.

I need confirm PList errors:

F3 T>V10

Detail 1: Is 803 an overflow?

Detail 2: When appear 80X the SFI value is 0x00400 lower than nearest neigbours.

And User Slip Defect List:

F3 T>V1

Head 0: entries 1 slips 0 <<<<------ IS IT POSSIBLE?

If anybody can check this with a hdd that works, please post it.

The primary list (P List) is written by manufacturer and the hdd's user don't write that list, only writes on grown list (G List).

If the P List (or User Slip Defect List format) is wrong then there are three cases:

1.- The manufacturer wrote it intentionally.

2.- The firmware modified it intentionally.

3.- The programmers of Seagate don't know to program.

If this is true, Seagate, please, solve it.

Those are some serious findings you have there.. Errors in the P list :S

Edited by DerSnoezie

Hi all,

Mine failed yesterday... wake up in the morning turn on pc and its not working anymore.

My info below.

??:9QM8GLKQ:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:09174:KRATSG:14NOV2008:11Jan2008:OEM:harwin:Singapore:no detect in bios

I have 500GB at my office I believe its also a Segate but was purchase 1 year ago, no problem with it. I will check the specs on it and update here.

If any Singaporean is getting the HDDoctor let me know.

thanks for the help,

Here is the drive data I have. 1 failure and 2 still operational.

Number:Serial N°:Model:Part N°:Firmware:DateCode:SiteCode:PurchaseDate:FailedDate:OEM/RETAIL:UserName:Country of the User:reason of failing / still running fine

Drive Data from labels:

ST3500320AS:9QM*****:7200.11:9BX154-335:SD15:09054:KRATSG:09/26/08:12/19/08:RETAIL:matildasmith:USA:BUSY

ST3500320AS:9QM*****:7200.11:9BX154-335:SD15:09085:KRATSG:12/30/08:N/A:RETAIL:matildasmith:USA:Working

ST3500320AS:9QM*****:7200.11:9BX154-335:SD15:09085:KRATSG:12/30/08:N/A:RETAIL:matildasmith:USA:Working

Drive Data from original Retail Box:

ST3500641AS:9QM*****:7200.11:9BD648-550

It is very interesting that the model and part number printed on the box versus the drive do not match, yet the serial numbers and type of drive do match. All of these drives were purchased from a national retailer (not online).

leaving PC on may not help... I think someone on the thread had his cuda fail while powered on...

don't shutdown your PC! :P and backup each time BEFORE you shutdown! hahaha :)
Well.. it's time for some sleep over here. I hope my remaining barracudas will last through the night..

Spec of my Seagate 500GB Drive at my office which is still working its installed inside DELL precision 490.

??:9QM18X5T:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:08337:KRATSG:not sure(at leat 1 year old):still working:OEM:harwin:Singapore:still working fine

Its currenlty being used mainly as a backup. I've had it for about a year at leat.

My home one was being used a boot/OS drive.

Hope it help. **** I should get another backup drive for my office pc before this fails

thanks

leaving PC on may not help... I think someone on the thread had his cuda fail while powered on...
don't shutdown your PC! :P and backup each time BEFORE you shutdown! hahaha :)
Well.. it's time for some sleep over here. I hope my remaining barracudas will last through the night..

I had the problem after reboot.

This is important! Because the problem is written in EEPROM and don't in SDRAM.

Most people have this problem, but someone can have other problems and symptoms.

THIS PROBLEM IS 0GB PROBLEM (within or without BSY).

Edited by pichi

A proposal:

I think this forum is to help us solve our problem, researching, communicating and providing useful information.

1 .- The new user can comment on the issue, stating the conditions under which it occurred, etc., but it is not necessary to repeat the same thing (by previous users).

2 .- Do not enlarge the size of the forum with useless comments, thanks, repetitions, and so on.

3 .- The "S/N list" grows exponentially the size of the forum (I think there are other methods to store a list).

4 .- I do not find this list useful because it will not help to solve the problem. I think it serves to Seagate as blacklists of warranties, and to recovery companies such as list of customers, offering services directly or indirectly through links to ACE or SD. These companies, in their forums have reduced the activity (and probably customers).

A proposal:

I think this forum is to help us solve our problem, researching, communicating and providing useful information.

1 .- The new user can comment on the issue, stating the conditions under which it occurred, etc., but it is not necessary to repeat the same thing (by previous users).

2 .- Do not enlarge the size of the forum with useless comments, thanks, repetitions, and so on.

3 .- The "S/N list" grows exponentially the size of the forum (I think there are other methods to store a list).

4 .- I do not find this list useful because it will not help to solve the problem. I think it serves to Seagate as blacklists of warranties, and to recovery companies such as list of customers, offering services directly or indirectly through links to ACE or SD. These companies, in their forums have reduced the activity (and probably customers).

Agreed with pichi.

[]'s

Laz,

Where do you live?

G

I'm in Brampton, near Toronto

Have you any thoughts on my questions I posted ? I checked out the seagate forum it wasn't quite so closed to the 7200.11 problem as reading here seemed to portray. Maybe the censors are busy...

as long as no hardware is damaged I think we have hope of recovering the hdd. what is curious is there have been mentions of failures as early as august- but those could be statistically normal and not related to the same rash of failures we have discovered here. my 2 cents.

The best method to complain isn't the "S/N list", it is say the problem. Send email to your friends, you say that you have had the problem.

Make backups if you already have these drives infected and not to buy more.

So you will help to your friends and their friends too.

Summary:

1 .- The manufacturer make a virus "timebomb".

2 .- To kidnap your data.

3 .- To retrieve only two companies: A. and S. (other companies are intermediates) or the manufacturer.

4 .- Or you pay the ransom or not you ever see photos of your travels, your marriage, your works, you docs, your videos, etc..

5 .- They say that this is legal? The warranty "yes", the kidnap "no"!!!!!.

Edited by pichi

Make backups if you already have these drives infected and not to buy more.

So you will help to your friends and their friends too.

Agreed I'm doing backups. I'm not going to touch Seagate drives anymore. I've already email and msged all my friends that have a lot of hard drives to give them heads ups. I suggest everyone do this if they haven't already.