Which will be better: vLited Vista or Windows 7?

MPalmz

Found this interesting article comparing XP SP3, Vista, and Windows 7 build 6956.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3187

The Windows 7 OS finally has better performance even than XP. I'm curious if any of you have compared the performance of a recent Windows 7 build to your vLited version of Vista. I wonder how the two would compare.

I'll definitely be doing my own testing when the public BETA is released in a couple of weeks.

Of course the ultimate is a vLited Windows 7...or 7Lited maybe.

The link MPalmz gave shows that Vista RTM is faster then Vista SP1. This can't be true. SP1 showed some performance increase and stability improvement. Any comments on this?

Cheers ;)

While I haven't seen any other benchmarks, I have read that SP1 failed to provide the performance increases promised over RTM. It DID of course solve a miriad of stability issues. However, in my experience there has been a correlation between stability and performance (speed). Not always I suppose though. Really high-end systems I would think would be somewhat insulated from performance depletion due to instability.

But what do I know?

Since the 69xx and 7xxx builds of Win7 will run just fine on a netbook (usually Intel Atom 1.6GHz w/1GB RAM and a 5400RPM HDD, not even SSD), I would suspect that retail builds of Win7 will run at least as fast as XP, and lighter than Vista (but still use more resources than XP due to additional services and superfetch/readyboost and the like).

My personal experience in Virtual PC is Windows 7 installed much faster (it doesn't go through the performance score calc saving time) and boots faster than Vista (exactly how much I don't know). After that, it's anybody's guess if its faster.

I didn't notice that Word 2007 loaded faster in Win 7 than Vista sp1.

I tried a vLited Win 7 on a physical system (my IBM T42 laptop) and had one issue I couldn't deal with - when playing videos, it would freeze. It's no doubt video driver related.

Right now, Win 7 is better in virtual machines.

Yes! win7 is definitely much more responsive than vlited vista like what they say as the windows team removed & optimized services in win7 & not to mention new features being added into it as well. As they implement new features into the os functionality increase, stability decrease affecting performance along the way.... <_<

It is much safer to run win7 in virtual machine as spacesurfer propose if you are really concern about stability as win7 is still in beta stages. ;) and also the don't bet too much on the display driver from vista to work properly in win7 as the windows team might have implemented the new updated WDDM to win7 which will be made available to vista users in the upcoming vista sp2 & also the directx 11 isn't fully integrated so far the directx team has no intention to add new features to it as the new directx is based on current directx 10 & directx 10.1 technologies not sure whether if they will retain directx 9.0c but as some of the information released directx 9 based card will be able to run win 7 with aero on & that is sweet! :D thru what im not sure maybe its as the news posted a few weeks ago the new method of using the cpu to emulate so that systems with directx 9 based card can enjoy the graphic of directx 10 in games & the downside is that u really need high-end cpu but as i have said don't bet on it too much even with using the top of the line intel i7core cpu the fps is only 7+fps as they benchmark it can u imagine playing crysis... the main purpose it to getting aero to run on low-end systems truly remarkable isn't it. ;)

Windows 7 build 7000 is better than vlited Vista SP1. ;) I use it for quite some time now (since bulid 6801 they've come a long way!) and I love it. This will be the 3rd great Windows version after Win98SE and Windows Server 2003 in my opinion. ;)

• 1 month later...

This is just my $0.02, but I run pretty old hardware:

AMD Duron 1,8GHz with 2GB ram on an nforce 2 chipset mobo.

Windows Vista RTM ran slow as molasses.

VLite'd Vista RTM, on the other hand, is perfectly fine and runs about 3 times faster than it did before. :-)

I stripped Vista down to 580MB and fit it on a CD! :-D

Next, I tried Windows 7 beta (build 7000) first as a full install and then vlite'd using Kazuni's preset which shrank the ISO down to 1,4GB. I didn't notice much difference to tell you the truth, although in task manager it did use slightly less memory.

VLite'd Vista RTM uses 290-300MB RAM at startup and boots in 46 seconds. It shuts down faster than Windows 7 too.

I suspect, but don't have any way to prove it, that Windows 7 ran better when it wasn't vlite'd. ? I just seems that for my old hardware, although I love the eye candy of Windows 7 build 7000 better than Vista, vlite'd Vista does seem to run about 10-20% faster than Windows 7 (vlite'd or not).

I hope Microsoft makes Windows 7 available as RC and then RTM soon (hopefully by August!), so I can buy it. By that time Nuhi will probably have 7lite or vLite ready to strip out everything from 7 until it will fit on a single CD. :-)

Regards,

Paul

From my testing i have found both to be almost equal.Although Win7 is a little faster(around 5% in some cases compared to vlited vista).Win 7 default is defenetly faster than vista default(were talking around 20% - noticeable!!!)

• 3 weeks later...