PDF Reader Suggestions

bristols

Post here the PDF Reader of your choice for Windows 9x.

It is often said these days that more and more malware attacks 3rd-party applications, instead of the underlying OS. There have been a few notable vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader. Us 9x users of course cannot upgrade to the latest 'secure' release, so for this reason alone it makes sense to look for other solutions for reading PDFs.

Right now, Adobe PDF Reader is at version 9. The last versions for 9x are (corrections welcome):

Adobe Acrobat 5.1 [Windows 95 with IE5x]

Adobe Acrobat 6.06 [Windows 98 FE, 98 SE, and ME]

Foxit Reader 3 is at best problematic; at worst, doesn't work at all (version 2 was no good for me, with crippling GDI leaks on 98 SE). Foxit Software no longer supports 9x in its testing (thanks noguru). The latest version of Sumatra PDF is for Windows 2000 and above. We're running out of up-to-date options.

So what do you use? Suggestions please.

Edited by bristols

Your versioning assessment appears to be correct (Adobe) and Foxit does have problems. However, security is based upon having an infected PDF document (AFAIK), so one might have the foresight to not download just "any old PDF".

The big difference between Adobe and Foxit (failing) is the footprint. Also, any PDF created with a higher-than 6.x and opened with a lower version may give a warning but still opens. I still use (or have used) them both with no problem (Foxit gives me fits).

I can agree with a suggestion that if others can find an alternative, it should be listed, but (not sure about this without an MSFN search) this subject may have already been visited (links anyone?).

Peace! (not snarking, ok? all respect given...)

[...] security is based upon having an infected PDF document (AFAIK), so one might have the foresight to not download just "any old PDF".

While any information about staying clear of and protecting against compromised PDFs files is relevant (edit: and I welcome it!), it's beside the point of my question, strictly speaking. In other words, "it goes without saying".

The big difference between Adobe and Foxit (failing) is the footprint. Also, any PDF created with a higher-than 6.x and opened with a lower version may give a warning but still opens. I still use (or have used) them both with no problem (Foxit gives me fits).

Thanks for pointing these things out. They are indeed additional reasons for looking for an alternative to Adobe Reader.

[...] this subject may have already been visited

Probably it has. But I'm not sure that anyone has asked for a list of Adobe alternatives for 9x, and I'd nevertheless like to have an up-to-date one. Maybe others would too.

Edited by bristols

True. And since I, for one, consider that warning nothing more than an annoying nag, I've devised a patch to get rid of it. For those interested, here's the link to my original topic about it. I'm still using the patched Acrobat Reader 6.0.6, and did not yet find a .pdf file it was unable to open OK.

I had no problems using Foxit Reader 2.2.2129 with Win 98SE but I decided to just go back to the Foxit Reader 1.3.1621 version. Works just fine for a simple PDF reader ... File Hippo has it and all the newer versions. Light on resources compaired to the newer versions and fast. v1.3 is only 1.20 MB download.

... http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/ ....

* I should add, with version 1.3.1621 you will also need to download these plugins ... they are included in v 2.2.2129 but not v 1.3

Critical Add-ons in Foxit Reader

Add-on Name:

UI Language Package

JPEG2000/JBIG Decoder

Eastern Asian Language Support

GDI+ Module Info 1.0.2006.0530

JavaScript Support Info 1.0.2007.0406

... most will probably not need the Eastern Asia Lang support ... but if you do !

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php ...

Edited by duffy98

Not very handy for reading lots of pages but this one allows editing and printing (no saving). And it prints PDF very good too.

http://www.cadkas.de/downengpdf5.php

For standard reader I use the ultralight SumatraPDF version 1.6 that works good under Win98 if it's the default PDF reader (so you can dklik on PDF's because the "open" menu doesn't work :), later versions don't have a menu at all ). Other downside is that it prints PDF's mirrored on my old HP deskjet. Funny at first and handy for reading around the corner using a mirror but how often do you really do that...

Other Win98 (not 95) compatible:

http://www.visagesoft.com/products/pdfreader/

Nice GUI, renders ok, but refuses to work together with my alternative mousedriver that I use on win98. Has problems with PDF's containing lots non-standard characters like scientific formulas. However it might be worth a try for those who want something different than old Adobe and Foxit versions.