Can anyone tell me what this is?

bonestonne

Hey all,

I was recently given this thing by a friend who works as an electrician, he said it was a motherboard, but when i opened the box i wasn't really sure what to think of it.

here's a picture, maybe someone can tell me what i can do with it:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/bon...ne/IMG_0443.jpg

i've never seen anything like it before, it has nothing on it that i can use to identify it with.

right now i have it in an anti-static bag, in a padded shipping box...but it's pretty big, and if i can sell it, i'd like to...i'm running out of space.

thanks,

bonestonne

I've seen a lot of different boards that looked somewhat like this (none of it was a x86 architecture motherboard like you seem to expect). But the best way to tell for sure, is you to find any kind of information on the board itself (like a model number on the silkscreen or such). Can't really say at that size and somewhat blurred. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say it looks like a board from a DAQ system.

Edited by crahak

Daughter I/O board of a PLC, I thought you would know more about it than me, it sure looks North American and I know more about the European market and that was 12 years ago (although this board looks from that time stamp :P).

Daughter I/O board of a PLC

Could be, but most PLCs I've worked with didn't quite have that format (and for the most part didn't use cards). Then again, PLCs vary quite a bit from a company to another.

Trying to make an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless... Yours is as good as mine!

I thought you would know more about it than me

Nah. There's really only one thing I'm good at: telling a good cup of coffee when I see one :lol:

Edited by crahak

Actually, it's a 16 port telecom daughter board. It's used to feed telephone sets...

You'll recognize this as having the same plug configuration : http://www.teletronics-photography.com/Mer...ategory_Code=C2

Knowing for which exact system the card is designed for would take further inspection of labels or markings on the card.

Edited by jcarle

I remember taking something out of a Server that looked like that I while ago at school. But I do remember it as a daughter board.

Strange server -- that's not an ISA slot, nor an EISA slot, nor a VLB slot, nor a MCA slot, nor a PCI slot, nor a PCI-X slot, nor a PCI-e slot. Also, when you get into equipment connected like this (on a backplane) the motherboard usually "plugs in" just like all daughterboards.

Actually, it's a 16 port telecom daughter board. It's used to feed telephone sets...

That's probably it. Doesn't look like anything used in Meridian-1 switches though (that'd be the PBX'es I've played the most with), nor the other few kinds I've seen (smaller models and leased units).

Actually, that card *does* look like it came out of a ComDial PBX or phone switch - I've only seen the innards of a few of those (spent most of my time on Nortel and Avaya units), but those are *exactly* what they look like if my memory hasn't faded too far in the last few years. Some of the older 3Com units had similar-looking cards, but they were a little more plug and play than the ComDial units, so it may not be a 3Com.

Actually, that card *does* look like it came out of a ComDial PBX or phone switch...
Crap, who could have thought about telephony, nice find guys.

You'll recognize this as having the same plug configuration : http://www.teletronics-photography.com/Mer...ategory_Code=C2

Knowing for which exact system the card is designed for would take further inspection of labels or markings on the card.

Wow. That's expensive!

Wow. That's expensive!

Thats what I was going to say...put it up on ebay you can sell it cheap, maybe like 500 or so

Wow. That's expensive!

Thats what I was going to say...put it up on ebay you can sell it cheap, maybe like 500 or so

$500 Dollars? Really?