can Anyone Verify these Are The Same?

eyeball

Apologies Crahak you are quite right, I must have overlooked those drivers... now im torn between the 2 again, 2008 drivers are not supported on the 3ware card.

Actually... as of version 9.5.1, Vista and Server 2008 are supported on all 3ware 9650SE cards. :)

http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=14928

It is unfortunate at least for 3ware that they bury their 2008 support info in their site, and its not really on their card info pages. We use the 9650 here in our 2008 servers and have no problem. I should also note that while the 9550 is not (and won't ever be) supported in 2008, it works perfectly fine with the default drivers.

As far as the slot goes, most motherboards with a PCI-Express x16 slot is autonegotiated. Meaning they will go to a thinner bandwidth depending on which type of card it detects is plugged into it. Be warned, however! Not all boards or cards support this ability! For example, Creative's first PCI-E 1x card would NOT work in a x16 slot as it only supported auto negotiate up to x8. I found this out the hard way.

The money situation, yes I wouldn't think I would want to spend so much for a RAID card. There are cheaper alternatives. Add in the confusion of matching the firmware and software versions, where the numbers don't really match up. I let someone else do that part for me. I will admit that the 3ware cards we've used are very stable. On our oldest computer it still has a 3ware card that survived longer than 2 of the hard drives attached to it.

Add in the confusion of matching the firmware and software versions, where the numbers don't really match up.

Expensive RAID cards can be bad for this. If the card dies, you *need* another similar card (often the EXACT same card, with the same firmware version and all) to be able to get your data back :( So you're essentially stuck re-buying an older card if it fails like 3 years down the line.

Ok Point taken guys, this brings me to the next point then. What do i do about a backup? I plan on having 12 TB drives in a RAID 6 here, how do i go about backing this up? (considering this is a home environment)

Or would you guys recommend another RAID type? :huh:

We've been there several times before too...

Short answer?

Tapes? Sure, if you don't mind a $5000 tape library along with tons of tapes that cost as much per MB than hard drives pretty much, and backups far slower, using specialized software...

CDs? Sure, if you don't mind burning the 17000 discs it takes, and then renting a warehouse to store them all! Restoring data from them would be fun too I'm sure...

DVDs? Sure, if you don't mind burning the 2500 discs it takes (much better! only 50 full spindles per backup!)

Blu-Ray writer? Sure, if you don't mind the $250 writer and the blanks that cost more than hard drives per MB (and that almost nobody can read yet).

That leaves you with even more hard drives, yep!

Edit: found my old answer to a similar question here (longer post, same idea)

Edited by crahak

I Suppose if i get a really good UPS and backup the most important stuff such as home movies and photos things like that i could replace the other stuff if it ever failed. At least with RAID 6 i can afford to loose 2 Drives also this nice little graph here puts my mind at rest somewhat, lol

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/314/3

Btw where is Zxian? he has a server, i wonder how he backs it up?.... :blink:

I am in this situation right now. I have a server with over 1TB of data that I need to start backing up. My solution was to build a backup server that will be copying files over the network. So in my case I matched HDD Space with equal HDD space, actually more.

I may add to Tripredacus's nice summary of backup media, that I very rarely succeeded to actually READ a backup tape when it was needed, thus I would add that not only tapes are expensive, but they are also incredibly NOT fault tolerant and SLOW.

The HD technology has clearly overridden any other one, I had some "safe, peaceful" moments only for a very short period:

http://www.msfn.org/board/before-t52012.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/before-t52012.html&st=28

I guess younger people couldn't ever get any...;)

jaclaz

id buy a second server (or two), something like a HP DL 180, slap some fat drives in it and use it for storage/backup.

are you putting the 12TB in your DESKTOP machine?

hope you sit a few rooms away from it if so then lol

Nah the 12TB is going in the server, it will be 10TB after RAID 6. Thats the whole point of me doing this i want a desktop and a server seperate not a crazy hybrid thing like iv always had.

Just looking at motherboards now and wondering if a standard Asus board or something similar is gonna play nice with this RAID card :crazy:

I hope so, does anyone have suggestions of what to get?