periodically being logged out

anonymous_user

It's back again. To fix this problem it seems that it can be done via the IPB Admin CP under Tools and Settings > By setting changing the Member's login key: expiration to Do Not Expire.

That's what my Forum is set to and I have no problem with staying logged in.

Do not expire is set in admincp since we started to use IPB. I have idea whats causing it but cant do anything about it before we upgrade frontpage to new cms. That will be soon.

I just closed MyIE2,waited 5 seconds then re-opened it and came here...

Still logged in......

Then i did a test.. I closed MyIE2 and CLEARED MY COOKIES and then came back here..

The site had dropped me..... (Even though i was still logged in) which i thought it would...

I think its a cookie issue.....

People who think they have gotton logged out may not have,the site may have just "Dropped them" (As when i cleared cookies (Checking WHO'S ONLINE will reveal if this is indeed happening (Which in some cases may be)))

Edited by Dude111

I just closed MyIE2,waited 5 seconds then re-opened it and came here...

Still logged in......

Then i did a test.. I closed MyIE2 and CLEARED MY COOKIES and then logged back in..

The site had dropped me..... (Even though i was still logged in) which i thought it would...

I think its a cookie issue.....

How did you think MSFN tracked your user/pass? Magic? What is happening is that the cookie used to store my user/pass is expiring (as seen in a network trace), thus I need to log on again so MSFN can write a new cookie with my user/pass to my temporary internet files.

Yes, clearing your cache of cookies will cause the issue as well, but that is *expected*.

How did you think MSFN tracked your user/pass? Magic? What is happening is that the cookie used to store my user/pass is expiring (as seen in a network trace), thus I need to log on again so MSFN can write a new cookie with my user/pass to my temporary internet files.

Yes, clearing your cache of cookies will cause the issue as well, but that is *expected*.

I've gone months without having to log back into MSFN. This is the first time it's been this inconsistent as far as I can remember.

It has been happening on and off here as well.

I have been using an Opera 'session' (kind of a list of webpages that you were looking at). This session has three tabs, with the root page of three MSFN Forums: Site & Forum Issues, Windows XP, and Windows 95/98/98SE/ME. When I load the session, the tabs get loaded with those three pages as I left them the previous day (still logged in naturally). I then press F5 Reload on each one to pull down the current page to each.

Now on a 'bad' day, at this point I will then find that all three pages are logged off. So I then log in on one page, and then reload the other two and all is peachy.

Strangely enough, today I saw something different, this may offer a clue of some kind ...

After following the steps mentioned above (F5 all three tabs), I found that only the Windows XP forum was logged out. This one makes no sense to me (but perhaps it might to one of you Admins). I haven't looked at the cookies to see if they specify the forums individually or track Users globally, but the answer is in there somewhere.

I figured it was worth mentioning. Hope it helps.

Next day here, my previous post (the one just above this) was from yesterday.

Today I did the same steps as described above, opened those three forums in three tabs from a saved Opera Session, and this time all three pages got hung up. I tried to F5 Reload them several times to no avail. They all looked like they were hanging up on the advertising banner.

Closing the three tabs and pasting the URL's into three new tabs worked great, the three forums popped right up.

Also note, there was no logged out problem, all three forums were logged in ok.

I had no issues for over a week, and somehow it just started happening again... Oh well.

Edit: the cookies are being set properly. The expiry date on the member id and password hash is set to the time I logged in + 1 year. Looks like it's a problem with IPB.

Edited by crahak