new fileset

fdv

The task schedular folder and 'search the internet' shortcut is the least of the problems...

The biggest problem is that the HFSLIP temp folder in %windir% isn't deleted and that rundll32/xcopy/attrib commands dosen't work, but when i then rename FDVFILES to _FDVFILES and rerun the HFSLIP process and install the ISO in a VM, then the HFSLIP temp folder is deleted and all commands work...

set7 didn't do this and all i have changed was to exchange set7 with 8d...

I will make some more tests this evening, anyway...

Although I haven't the foggiest why I would need Symantec or Adobe reg keys I can confirm this works.

Also when integrated in shell.in_ by me ;)

"xcopy abc.txt c:\dirname" and "attrib +h abc.txt" both work as do RUNDLL32.EXE USER32.DLL,SwapMouseButton and RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL HotPlug.dll (safely remove usb device window).

I'll now try the same with the line added to HFSLIP.

EDIT: More success! Task Sched is out, as are "web search" and "Tip of the day". So shell.inf seems to be processed correctly/completely this way.

Edited by Brabant

Thanks alot for testing this, Brabant :thumbup

I'm free to test this in about 10 hours and then i will report back!

Thank's again for testing, Brabant!!!

@FDV

Thank you! Btw, previously when i said that the '%windir%\system' folder was empty, then i did know that it was suppossed to be that, but i meant that in your previous sets, then you have left that folder completelly out, but anyway, since you stated that you like to keep your own console-tools in that folder, then i'm guessing that it's intentional now... Sorry for the bad wording, though...

Thank's again!

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

I don't know about working perfectly. In SHELL.IN_ simply replacing line 106:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Path",,"%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem"

with:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Path",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG\pub"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","windir",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","OS",,"Windows_NT"

gives as Path:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG\pub;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

So the last two: %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem appear twice. This Path must be written to in more of the code.

But adding these lines to SHELL.IN_ is temporary I presume. I might as well add lines to IE.IN_ like I did before. And we have a non-standard HFSLIP.

@fdv: In Post 13 I said there's too many "s in Axant.in_. No biggie I guess and maybe I'm just wrong.

Edit: How do I get scroll bars in a Code Block?

Edited by Brabant

In SHELL.IN_ simply replacing line 106:

I decided to just pull those lines out. I never really needed to set the path variable, I was testing it out and just absentmindedly left it in thinking it would cause no harm. I was wrong about that!

I said there's too many "s in Axant.in_. No biggie I guess and maybe I'm just wrong.

I am looking but I still don't see. My line 100 is "; 842773 BITS" (no prob there) and my line 113 doesn't appear to have a problem either...?

How do I get scroll bars in a Code Block?

I actually don't know, it used to be automatic. No idea...

I think I said 110 to 113 ;) but never mind, I mean right after Hotfix\KB842773

\Hotfix\KB842773"\File 1\","Flags",0,""

\Hotfix\KB842773"\File 1\","New File",0,""

\Hotfix\KB842773"\File 1\","New Link Date",0,""

\Hotfix\KB842773"\File 1\","Old Link Date",0,""

The other fake fixes don't have it and it makes me get sub-keys. I noticed when I got no replies in the other tread so I had to go through Shell and Axant myself. Which made me learn a bit and that's always good.

Oh yeah, has set 8e been announced? I've got it, that's not it. But should I have known?

Edited by Brabant

I think what Ambassador means is to actually remove the whole Favorites menu. I read some guy claimed to have

succeeded with XN Resource Editor.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I know you can remove the Favorites menu with TweakUI, but it would be nice if it was removed out of the box.

OS2Fan2 gave me a regedit to suppress it. The problem is that this will make the Standard Buttons and Address Bar hidden in each window. You can turn them back on of course, but it's kind of a pain. I took it out a long while back but I can add it back into a SHELL optional section.

Ah yes. Nathan Lineback offers something similar on his website, called "ThrobOff". I wonder if Lineback and "OS2Fan2" are the same person?

1) Several events have sounds assigned in Sounds and Multimedia Properties. When clicking e.g. Asterisk windows can't find the wav (Do you want to use the file for this event anyway?). I can see chimes is 'semi-coloned' but chord and ding aren't. all three give the 'File not found'.

If I'm right (i.e. it is an issue) could I request all sounds to go out please? Except "Start Windows", I'd like to replace that, and maybe "Exit Windows".

2) Explorer -> View now has Thumbnails as an option. It doesn't do anything which is good. I can't remember seeing this. But I used a different source until 8d.

When focussing in left pane: My Computer, Control Panel, My Network Places or Recycle Bin, Explorer does NOT show Thumbnails under View.

Edited by Brabant

I know you can remove the Favorites menu with TweakUI, but it would be nice if it was removed out of the box.

Its built into explorer, as a menu item. I suppose editing the binary in a reg hack tool could do it. AFAIK tweakui doesn't remove it. I agree I would love it to be gone out of the box.

I wonder if Lineback and "OS2Fan2" are the same person?

Doubtful; Wendy is a "she" ;-)

I can see chimes is 'semi-coloned' but chord and ding aren't. all three give the 'File not found'.

Ooops. I meant to have them all removed. I could set them to nothing in the HIVE files too. Thanks for noting that; I haven't paid any attention to system sounds in a long time.

Except "Start Windows",

This is my Windows startup sound, from 0:56 to 1:08 ;-)

2) Explorer -> View now has Thumbnails as an option. It doesn't do anything which is good. I can't remember seeing this.

I saw 'thumbnails' in the registry and thought 'oh, more junk! deleted!!' at that time i didnt know what it was [laughs] Then I discovered that it showed up as a menu item with nothing behind it. So I decided that at some point, I could embed a CLSID for a thumbnail viewer like Irfanview some day so that I can quickly see graphical thumbnails. For now, it will continue to do nothing.

Oh and yes I intended set 8e to replace the current. I made no announcement; sometimes I am bad that way! :whistle:

Thanks as always for the testing...

I've used this install a bit now in Virtualbox. Before I take the old P3 to the net:

Are we up to date with hot fixes? IOW: does the little msi replace the other 60MB of fixes?

Which firewall to use? Yea, much too general a question. Let me say freeware, app based AND rule based. Some thoughts:

Comodo seems to be good. But on a Dutch forum I read: Give FF access to port 80. Then visit an SSL secured page (port 443) and Comodo will ask if FF is allowed to connect. If you choose Yes the rule will change to: port(any). Hmmm.

Would the old Tiny or Kerio still be any good or are they now.. er.. leaky?

fdv: I think I "shouldn't" like that. Coz I'm a huge fan of those who brought the rock back in er..

Little MSI? No, you need the gazillion hotfixes. TommyP is punching up the hotfix list and it will be put up shortly. You could use the_guy's list at the moment if you want, though it ends in August.

As for firewall, I use a hardware one, but my sister in law runs my fileset on her home computers without a firewall. I mean, nothing -- direct to the 'net. To this day when I visit her, her computer is fine. She's never had a problem.

Maybe that's something I should try -- hook my home machine up to the net and give my IP address and see if anyone wants to take a crack at it ;-)

There is stuff like this, too, that's good for a laugh...

FWIW, Zone Alarm Pro is free for a few hours. I've never used it, just so you know.

Edited by fdv

I thought I'd need them and I should have read better. I forgot you had slipstreamed many fixes manually. The msi is not mentioned in either of the lists. It's also not new unlike the GDI+ Martin uses.

Is the msi an 'essential' fix? Should I wait for TommyP's list? Sorry to keep asking but especially when concerning HFs I notice English isn't my first language.

And a bit more on topic:

I've been playing with List Contents to text File. Can the >""%1""""_contents list.txt"" be replaced with e.g. >"C:\List.txt"? You see, I also use this on mounted ISOs. NOT a feature request, I just don't got the syntax right when using %SystemDrive%.

Edited by Brabant

@FDV

Of course it's your call, but personally i would prefer that you didn't change the SP level in the registry...

HFNETCHK:

* WINDOWS 2000 SP5

Information

There is no information about this product's service pack level in

the XML database

Also, if it helps compatibility with IE dependant apps to show IE6 instead of IE5 in the registry, then that's of course important, but if it dosen't, then it would also be nice IMHO to not show IE6...

HFNETCHK:

* INTERNET EXPLORER 6 SP1

Patch NOT Installed MS08-058 956390

File C:\WINNT\system32\browseui.dll has a file version

[5.0.3862.1500] that is less than what is expected [6.0.2800.1938].

Edited by Martin H

@Martin H

I understand.

I will revert the SP level to 4.

I will also default the IE level back to 5. This will be user-settable in IE.INF and will have four different versions to choose from.

@Brabant

The MSI you saw is not essential. It's my XML4, and honestly I can;t even remember why I have it anymore :lol:

Here are the 2 keys to change Windows to SP4:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows","CSDVersion",0x00010001,0x400

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion","CSDVersion",,"Service Pack 4"

Here are keys to make Windows "see" IE6 fully patched:

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","build",,"62900.5512"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","Version",,"6.0.2900.5512"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","W2kVersion",,"6.0.2900.5512"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility","Version",,6.01
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings","MinorVersion",,";SP1;"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\InstallInfo","Version",,"6.0.2900.5512"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ieupdate","RequiresIESysFile",,"6.0.2900.5512"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%CLSID_IESHELL%","Version",,"6,0,2900,5512"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Install Check","IE40",,"6.0.2900.5512"

Edited by fdv