new fileset

fdv

Use the main link

Readme highlights:

changes in set #8c:

- Really minor tweaks. Like adding 'defrag' to the right-click menu on drives, making 'tab' be the autocomplete character in the console, and extending the time windows takes to allow another program to grab focus.

- Added a modified DEFLTWK.INF, which is default permissions. Now all users can change the time, select power saving, and run software that creates subdirectories in program files like 'the bat' (this would take 9,000 words to explain, but it does NOT mean that anyone can install anything).

- new default color scheme for no other reason than it lets -me- know which fileset is on a particular PC. Set 8c's active window is a mix of blue and purple now.

- restored the original ACPI data to TXTSETUP, because there are users with older computers.

Fileset 8b issued September 15, 2008. Unreleased except to MSFN members.

changes in set #8b:

- To make -keeping- IE easier, I rearranged things so that fixes and tweaks are now in AXANT5.INF and SHELL.INF instead of IE.INF.

- Added a modified HIVESYS.INF

- UserPreferencesMask in HIVEDEF and HIVEUSD changed: active window tracking Z order=enabled, tooltip animation disabled

- A few tweaks to existing values in HIVEDEF and HIVEUSD like AutoEndTasks and that sort of thing (search for 'tweaks' to find them)

- random discovery: if you used HFSLIP and installing office fails, it's because of a newer SFCFILES.DLL trying to protext MSXML3.DLL. Solution: use old version of SFCFILES.

- The NetDDE error (see the setuplog) is harmless. Yes, really. 2003 has NetDDE shut off by defualt, and Vista doesn't even have it. It was only for MS Hearts and Clipbook.

- Post sp4 keys are now in the HIVE* folders.

Fileset 8 issued June 1, 2008. Unreleased except to MSFN members.

changes in set #8:

- Some keys in IE.INF caused Adobe CS and CS2 to bomb at install time, so they were removed

- The default power policy is now to shut the monitor down after 4 hours, not 15 minutes

- This fileset never suported upgrades from Win 3.1, 95, NT, etc, so delreg sections were deleted from the HIVE*.INF files

- The MRU_KILL.INF shortcut has been moved because since regular users do not have registry permissions, it would cause an error on startup for non-admins

- BEEP.SYS just got to me. So I took it out

- Keys have been added to make software think that the Sun Java plugin is installed for IE

- Reg entries associating multimedia extensions with the K-Lite Media Player removed, since some might prefer to use a different player

- Some dupes removed from IE.INF, file also cleaned up, added experimental section at bottom

- More keys added in IE.INF to delete, mostly stuff that was already there (in other words, thumbnail keys were deleted long ago, but not all of the thumbnail keys had been eliminated. I added more to delete. Same for MSHTML, winhttp, etc.)

- Some post SP4 keys added to AXANT and HIVECLS. Necessary? Well, not having them never seemed to cause problems, so having them is experimental right now

- The NT4 icons from my NT4ICONS.DLL are the defaults now. They are set in the HIVECLS.INF file.

Edited by fdv

• 1 month later...

Hi FDV!

Sorry for not having tested your fileset earlier, when you offered it for testing...

Anyway, as always great job!

Two very minor things...

There's a leftover from the removed task-scheduler: If you go into explorer by hitting 'Win+E' and select 'Control Panel', then right under 'Printers', then there's a folder with an empty name and where the comment states 'Schedules computer tasks to run automatically'...

Second, then i'm guessing that the new 'Search the internet' link under 'Start Menu > Search' isn't intentional...

Again many thanks for your great work and efforts :)

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

@FDV

I have just noticed some other issues with set8c:

• No xcopy.exe in '%windir%\system32'.
  • attrib.exe is in '%windir%\system32', but when running 'attrib /?' in a cmd prompt, then the command isn't recogniced...
  • When double-clicking a regfile, then explorer states: "Cannot find the file 'pathto\regfile'(or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

Thank's in advance :)

Edit: Hmm, i now also see that there's still the hfslip temp folder present in %windir%...

Still, the only thing i've changed in this test, was to upgrade from set7 to 8c, so i'm not really thinking that this should be a hfslip issue...

Also, i'm not using any addons from other people or such things, and are just installing some apps and extra regtweaks from RunOnceEx...

I will make another hfslip/set8c test tomorrow, or the day after at latest, and report back when i have tested it in a VM...

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

Hi tommyp :)

Thank's for your interest!

Yes, FDV has two versions of his fileset; one for Pro.(Workstation) and one for Server...

Anyway, with FDV's fileset, then you need to download uniata.sys and place it in FDVFILES(or in 'SOURCE\I386')...

It's in step 10 of FDV's 'Windows 2000 total slipstream' tutorial and here is the link to uniata.sys: http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/

Again, many thank's for your interest in this, mate :)

CU, Martin.

OK, i made another HFSLIP run with set8c and have just finished testing it in a VM, and all the above issues are still apparent, unfortunetly...

I will make another HFSLIP run now without FDV's fileset and report back when i have tested it out...

Edit: Btw, in set8c, then xcopy.exe is commented out in both txtsetup.sif and layout.inf...

Edited by Martin H

OK, i renamed FDVFILES to _FDVFILES and rerun the HFSLIP process and then tested the produced ISO in a VM, and now all problems where disappeared, so the culprit is indeed set8c...

Thank's in advance.

CU, Martin.

Try this one

Most issues are fixed

I am looking at the 'clicking on REG files gives an error' and I get it too, still, but I don't know what is causing it right now.

All other issues should be fixed now. Thanks for the bug reporting!!

Hi FDV!

Thanks for looking into these issues and for naming me in the changelog!

I have just finished testing set8d...

Fixed:

• Regfiles wouldn't run when double-clicked.
  • Xcopy was missing.

Unfixed:

• HFSLIP temp folder not deleted from %windir%.
  • Xcopy, attrib and cmdow is present, but the cmd shell dosen't respond to them and states 'Unknown command' when running e.g. 'attrib /?'.
  • Empty labeled task-scheduler folder under 'Control Panel'.
  • 'Search the internet' link under 'Start Menu > Search'.
  • Empty 'system' folder under %windir%.

Thanks in advance.

The FINDSTR and RUNDLL32.EXE commands don't work, which is a good culprit for the hfslip temp directory not being deleted.

Martin - Are you getting cab errors when selecting a/b/c? I can't repeat the error that FDV points out in a different thread (sorry to ask here).

@tommyp

I'm sorry, i thought that you only wanted to hear from people which could reproduce the issue, and since i coudn't, then i didn't responded... Sorry about that, mate :)

Anyway, i only tested A, if that matters...

If you want me to test the others then please don't hesitate to ask!

I'm guessing it's a server only issue, since we've both tested with Pro and Fred's on Server...

Thank's for your info about FINDSTR and RUNDLL32.EXE not working either, mate!

CU, Martin.

I already mentioned Task Scheduler a month ago.

Axant5.inf still contains a " character too many at lines 110 to 113, column 67. Now creating keys instead of string values.

Edit:

Like in 8c the only way to have "Task Scheduler Control applet", "Tip of the day", "web search" and "Send to" out is to add them back to IE.IN_.

But then I mentioned that as well.

Edited by Brabant

@Brabant

Funny, i do not experience any "Tip of the day" or "web folder" issues here, with either set8c or set8d...

@FDV

I forgot to say previously, that when i checked that the xcopy, attrib and cmdow commands wasen't working in a cmd prompt, then i checked if the PATH environment variable had '%windir%\system32' in it, and it did...

@Martin

The "View as web folder" (other tread) I solved by adding "WebView",,0 to shell.inf. I think I had a mucked up ShellState back then.

So we both have "Task Scheduler Control applet" and "web search" present. But you don't have "Tip of the day".

2 Qs: What about "Send to" ? Is that present in your install?

and: Does your Folder Options window actually have "Folder Options" in its title bar? Mine's empty.

I just like to know in how far we're getting the same results.