How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

@cdob

I was thinking what triggers USB drives to be mounted when doing msdosinitiated=1 installs. I guess on the nice machine in question ~BT/~LS install will go through.

Attached is comparison between such install and small ISO install with no USB settings changes right after text mode. I've already tried replicating some of the settings from msdosinitiated=1 install, doing them before entering GUI mode, but went nowhere. There must be something which triggers setup device to be mounted.

Might be worth thinking a bit in this direction?

comparison.7z

That makes BartPE work fine but DOS still doesn't see anything, is there any way to use the sata drivers in the windows xp/windows 7 sources to load for the DOS/BartPE so I don't have to fiddle with BIOS?

Yes, you have to add the SATA drivers to the PE build.

Depending if you are creating a "universal" PE or a specific one for that machine, you may want to choose between adding only a specific driver, or using the driverpacks, or use UNIATA:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=141451&hl=

I don't need NTFS read/write to be honest but if anyone could quickly show me the menu.lst entries required to achieve this then my super usb will be complete. or any extra files that I may need to find

There is nothing to change in menu.lst.

It's inside your DOS .img that you need to add a NTFS driver.

You have two options for R/W and another two for Read only:

NTFS4DOS from Avira and NTFS4DOS IFS from Paragon:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8479

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...c=10292&hl=

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6865

jaclaz

I like this machine, destroyed five years of USB knowledge.

So far CriticalDeviceDatabase settings, drivers settings and driver files did work.

I tested another PC with different Hardware and same result. On this PC i'm 100% sure it worked with the 0.2.3 stable version of Winsetupfromusb and the same usb-stick. By the way, the Image i use is a nLite one (sorry i didn't told earlier, i simply forgotten it).

There is a hotfix package and a driverpack added to the image. See the "last session.ini" Letzte_Session.7z

Since this image was working on the 0.2.3 version i hope its not part of the problem :unsure:

Just to ensure its realy not the nlite image, i will create a new one tomorrow without any extra packages.

Time to invent a new approach: early PNP

I don't find the dsigning.exe in the post. :( in which package is it hidden, pls? Sorry! ;)

I tested the batch without the dsinging.exe but i only get

Device node created. Install is complete drivers are updated...
Updating drivers for PCI/CC_0C0320 from C:\Windows\inf\usbport.inf.
devcon failed.

USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1C5B443C&0

And some more of this messages.

There must be something which triggers setup device to be mounted.

Good idea. However I don't have a answer currently, I'll keep this in memory. Maybe there is a answer in future.

Just to ensure its realy not the nlite image, i will create a new one tomorrow without any extra packages.
Try remove the chipset driverpack.
I don't find the dsigning.exe in the post. :( in which package is it hidden, pls? Sorry! ;)
Topic 137714 XP_INST_v04.7z.

Attached again: driversigning.c and dsigning.exe.

devcon failed.
PNP failed, most likely because of signing failed.

driversigning.7z

Topic 137714 XP_INST_v04.7z.

Hmpf, i downloaded this package, but was unable to look into the img file. Sorry and thanks :)

I retested the old image and run the usb_pnp.cmd right after 1. reboot. (deactivated the second one in the setup.cmd) The skript says "successfull installed" on every step. No "devcon failed" messages anymore! But in the end, the driveletter was still missing.

I didn't find it with showdrive, mnt.exe, mountvol.exe or diskpart.

BUT after a reboot the driverletter appeared as U: !

I decided to change the setup.cmd once more.

Here is the "beginning" of the used setup.cmd:

@echo off
setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion

if not exist reg.exe (
echo reg.exe not found
echo reg.exe not found >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log
)

if not exist findstr.exe (
echo findstr.exe not found
echo findstr.exe not found >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log
)

if not exist mountvol.exe (
echo mountvol.exe not found
echo mountvol.exe not found >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log
) else (
echo mountvol.exe output: >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log
mountvol.exe >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log
)

rem XPpSP3 string is dynamically changed by WinSetupFromUSB when prepariung source
set TAGFILE=\WINSETUP\XPpSP3

rem Load PNP
if not exist loadpnp.1 (
call usb_pnp.cmd
echo PNP Loaded > loadpnp.1
)

if exist mountvol.exe (
for /f "tokens=1 delims=: " %%? in ('mountvol.exe ^|find ":\"') do (
dir %%?:%TAGFILE% > nul 2>&1 && set CDDRIVE=%%?:
if defined CDDRIVE goto :CDDRIVE_found
)
) else (
FOR %%h IN (U V W X C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T Y) DO (
IF EXIST "%%h:%TAGFILE%" (
SET CDDRIVE=%%h:
goto :CDDRIVE_found
)
)
)

echo no %TAGFILE% drive found
echo no %TAGFILE% drive found >> %SystemRoot%\winsetup.log

The rest of the setup.cmd is original.

The content of the usb_pnp.cmd is:

@echo off
setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion

:USB_PNP.cmd
:: Batch to load USB devices - XP 32bit
:: by cdob v0.01

set Seed=%random%%random%%random%
set Seed=0x%Seed:~,8%

reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\Pnp" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Seed" /d %Seed%
reg.exe query "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\Pnp"
set Control=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
reg.exe add "%Control%\Session Manager\WPA\Pnp" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Seed" /d %Seed%

reg.ee add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Driver Signing" /f /t REG_BINARY /v "Policy" /d 00000000
reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Non-Driver Signing" /f /t REG_BINARY /v "Policy" /d 00
reg.exe add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "BehaviorOnFailedVerify" /d 0x0

rem set driver signing policy
dsigning.exe

:: reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "LogLevel" /d 0xFFFFffff

rem PNP USB devices and attach drive letter to USB flash drive
rem no RunDll32.exe Syssetup.dll,UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers
rem devcon.exe [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272[/url]
echo. &echo USB controller and USB HUB
for %%a in (PCI\CC_0C0300 PCI\CC_0C0310 PCI\CC_0C0320 USB\ROOT_HUB USB\ROOT_HUB20) do (
devcon.exe hwids "%%a" | find.exe "%%a" && devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\usbport.inf "%%a"
)
echo. &echo USB storage device

rem no hwids defined for USB storage device
for %%a in (06 05 02 06 05 02) do (
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\usbstor.inf "USB\Class_08&SubClass_%%a&Prot_50"
)
rem USB keyboard and mouse
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\usb.inf "USB\COMPOSITE"
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\input.inf "USB\Class_03"
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\msmouse.inf "HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE"
devcon.exe install %SystemRoot%\inf\keyboard.inf "HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_KEYBOARD"

(I just deleted the last few lines)

The setup runs as normal, reboots once in gui-mode and finaly finds my usb-stick and finishes the installation! :thumbup

Thanks! You are great! :angel

-----------------------------------------------------------

And here comes the second point on my totry-list

-----------------------------------------------------------

Try remove the chipset driverpack.

I created a new image with nLite. But i added the driverpackages (Chipset, CPU, LAN, MassStorage, MassStorage-Textmode) with the DPsBASE Tool AFTER the nLite-setup.

Howto: http://users.telenet.be/jtdoom/basetute/Eng_tut6b.htm

With this new image, the installation works! :thumbup It's a bit slow in the driver loading part but who cares?

Sorry i made you so much work and finaly a new image was a solution. :blushing:

Btw, in the old image the driverpack was integrated with nLite. That was a stupid idea, like the howto says. Strange it worked with the 0.2.3 Setup. :wacko:

EDIT: Change the codes to codeboxes - postshrinking :D

Edited by Rotbard

Happy :) to see that the problem is solved, though I would like to understand WHAT :w00t: are the differences between the "nlite integration" and the "plain integration" that do "trigger" a malfunctioning with latest version but does not with 0.2.3 :blink: .

JFYI,

Try open the .ima inside XP_INST_v04.7z (XP_INST.IMA) with 7-zip.... :whistle:

;)

jaclaz

I would like to understand WHAT :w00t: are the differences between the "nlite integration" and the "plain integration" that do "trigger" a malfunctioning with latest version but does not with 0.2.3 :blink: .

I only remember, for the 0.2.3 i had a few days of trying to get it working as i want. But never with any driver problems. Far from it, when installation was complete, i nearly never had to install any additional drivers.

Biggest problem were my own "runonce" setups which were not starting after setup.

Hm.... maybe some old drivers made it into the winXP-source-setup or maybe some got deleted. In my early trys i was not very clean in recreating a fresh XP-source everytime i created a new nLite image. :blushing:

My 7-zip (4.65 x64) is unable to open the .IMG file.

I get an error "Can't open XP_INST.IMA as archiv." Did we find a x64 bug of 7-zip? ;)

Ok that's the wrong board for this type of error :D

My 7-zip (4.65 x64) is unable to open the .IMG file.

I get an error "Can't open XP_INST.IMA as archiv." Did we find a x64 bug of 7-zip? ;)

Ok that's the wrong board for this type of error :D

Well, I am running (32 bit) 9.07 beta, current is 9.10 beta, I guess it's time for you to ubgrade. ;)

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

when i use the program to add my win7 or vista. when i boot from usb into the installer it will ask for drivers to see hard drive but if i use the dvd it works fine. theres no extra drivers on the dvd. what can i do.

Thank you for this excellent tool!

I have managed to make a colossal mistake as I idiotically had the wrong drive selected (an external 320Gb NTFS 1 partition Toshiba HD) instead of a Cruzer 4Gb USB stick when I used BOOTICE to do a repartition + format to USB-HDD mode. :o:realmad:

About 5 seconds after I started the format, I realised to my horror what I had done and frantically pulled out the USB HD cable while the program was running.

I only have myself to blame to for this error. Most unfortunately, this drive has many many gigabytes of irreplacable non-backed up personal stuff on it.

Now as a result of my cockup, the drive does not have any recognisable partitions - Windows now won't find or recognise any partitions on it, nor will 2 commercial recovery tools I've tried, Acronis RecoveryExpert Deluxe & Active Undelete. If I try to go into it via Explorer, it thinks the drive is not formatted.

Before I go have a nervous breakdown when it fully sinks in just how much data there was on that one drive, I thought I'd ask here in the forlorn hope that someone out there might have some words of advice, even if its confirmation there's definitely nothing I can do now..?

Thanks.

DMTelf

Edited by dmtelf