PC reboot loop after installing XP SP3

codeblue

Thought i would start a thread where others could share experience of this issue.

I installed SP3 on my PC through Win Update and since then it started to reboot just before reaching the log on screen or sometimes after logging on. But if it did manage to start, and giving it about 10 mins, the system would be stable.

I dont have an ADM machine, its a Intel Core 2 Duo E600 with a Gagabite motherboard, Balistic memory and BFG Nvidia graphic card.

My wife laptop has started to show signs of this as well!

Will post full specs later.

Thought i would start a thread where others could share experience of this issue.

I installed SP3 on my PC through Win Update and since then it started to reboot just before reaching the log on screen or sometimes after logging on. But if it did manage to start, and giving it about 10 mins, the system would be stable.

I dont have an ADM machine, its a Intel Core 2 Duo E600 with a Gagabite motherboard, Balistic memory and BFG Nvidia graphic card.

My wife laptop has started to show signs of this as well!

Will post full specs later.

All the computer I've installed on have been using integrated XP disks, and they all work fine.

If it's restarting then you have your computer set to auto reboot on bugcheck (blue screen). You can go into safe mode and check event viewer > system to see what the details are. You can also disable your hardware in device manager in safe mode to find the problem driver. It's simply a bad driver. You could also enable startup logging (i believe thats /sos) to see what it stops on.

-gosh

Hi all, I know most of yu have not had problems with installing SP3, but I have. I have a desktop compaq with AMD processor (64 processor). I've had SP2 with all updates and I'd like to think that I know a little bit about computers.

When I installed SP3, it kept rebooting and this problem is real to a lot of people. There seems to be a lot (a hell of a lot) potential fixes, everything from the drivers being bad to there being a full moon, so my question is this, if I wait, will there be a SP3 build that doesn't require me to waste four hours of my life reinstalling, installing and so on and so on, or do I have to try to find the solution myself by trying out the possible solutions one by one?

Many thanks - :ph34r:

I slipstreamed SP3 into my XP CD that had SP2 slipstreamed. I also integrated all the drivers from driverpacks.net and I slipstreamed some programs like IE7, WMP11, Quicktime, and a few others with RyanVM Integrator. The problem I am having is my PC boots and reboots whe nI want it to, but if it sits idle for a while it shuts off on its own. The screen saver is set to come on after 10 min and then the monitor shuts off after 20 minutes. This all works but eventually if it sits idle long enough it shuts off.

Anybody have any ideas of what I could try?

Thanks

Hi all, I know most of yu have not had problems with installing SP3, but I have. I have a desktop compaq with AMD processor (64 processor). I've had SP2 with all updates and I'd like to think that I know a little bit about computers.

When I installed SP3, it kept rebooting and this problem is real to a lot of people. There seems to be a lot (a hell of a lot) potential fixes, everything from the drivers being bad to there being a full moon, so my question is this, if I wait, will there be a SP3 build that doesn't require me to waste four hours of my life reinstalling, installing and so on and so on, or do I have to try to find the solution myself by trying out the possible solutions one by one?

Many thanks - :ph34r:

Your problem is actually a somewhat known issue with HP/Compaq AMD machines - they build their images they deploy with the Intel power management drivers installed (intelppm.sys) - if you can boot in safe mode and disable this device driver (or the recovery console to do the same), you can get it working. This is HP/Compaq's mistake, not a problem with SP3 (the intelppm.sys driver gets updated, and starts sending the AMD machine power management instructions it does not understand, causing the crashes).

I slipstreamed SP3 into my XP CD that had SP2 slipstreamed. I also integrated all the drivers from driverpacks.net and I slipstreamed some programs like IE7, WMP11, Quicktime, and a few others with RyanVM Integrator. The problem I am having is my PC boots and reboots whe nI want it to, but if it sits idle for a while it shuts off on its own. The screen saver is set to come on after 10 min and then the monitor shuts off after 20 minutes. This all works but eventually if it sits idle long enough it shuts off.

Anybody have any ideas of what I could try?

Thanks

Double check power management and make sure it isn't set to auto shut down. Would also be worth checking to see if there is option in your BIOS.

I am currently downloading SP3 from Windows Update on a test computer. Hopefully I can re-create this issue, determine the fix and include the fix in our images. We are not currently installing SP3 because of the issues reported with it. We also do not use Windows Update, but our customers will use it.

i had this same problem with xp sp2 when it 1st rolled out on a mesh system and the fix was a reg file with the text

THIS FIX IS FOR AMD BASED COMPUTERS NOT TESTED ON INTEL AND NOT INTENDED FOR INTEL USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ON INTEL

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm]

"Start"=dword:00000004

open notepad and copy the text above that is in bold text and save the file as sp3 fix.reg(bold text is not needed in the file i only made it bold so you can see the text to use)here is the file for the lazy ones sp2fix.reg

after installing the service pack DO NOT RESTART the pc make sure to check the box to not restart and then run the reg file you created after running the reg file you can restart the pc and all should be well.

hope this helps for some of you guys who have not already installed sp3 as im told a lot of people cannot get into safe mode to roll back

i seem to remember a utility available to run from PE or dos that lets you edit the registry if anyone knows that utility that could be the file that will help peeps implement the fix i posted above if they cannot boot into windows but they would need to edit the registry manually instead that way.

one tool i know of that lets you edit the registry file outside of windows is Winternals ERD Commander 2005 but this is no longer available as far as i know.

ps i know this was a sp2 fix but the principle is the same its the same driver causing the boot loop

Edited by jimbojambo

I am currently downloading SP3 from Windows Update on a test computer. Hopefully I can re-create this issue, determine the fix and include the fix in our images. We are not currently installing SP3 because of the issues reported with it. We also do not use Windows Update, but our customers will use it.

Actually, someone already put out a fix. I don't know how good it is, but it can be a start if it doesn't already work.

Actually, someone already put out a fix. I don't know how good it is, but it can be a start if it doesn't already work.

It turns out I couldn't recreate ANY problems with my testing. In each instance the only noticeable differences were that there was a Program Access and Defaults shortcut in the start menu and the computer booted up twice as fast.