Creative Labs receives some serious community bashing

MikeyHunt

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a program that can convert a winxp driver to be vista compatable. They wouldn't really be able to do anything if a tool was released that does this. People would still have to download the original drivers. And they would only be modding drivers they are using on their own systems. No one would be distributing any of their drivers.

Its not hard at all. Vista drivers work pretty much the same as XP drivers. I haven't had to do anything more than adding the Vista (Windows 6.0) support line and copy the DEV IDs into that section.

Really??!! It's that easy? If that's the case I can throw a tool together... but only if someone pm's me detailed info and examples of how it is done. Does this method work for just about any drivers? Or just creative sound drivers?

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a program that can convert a winxp driver to be vista compatable. They wouldn't really be able to do anything if a tool was released that does this. People would still have to download the original drivers. And they would only be modding drivers they are using on their own systems. No one would be distributing any of their drivers.

Its not hard at all. Vista drivers work pretty much the same as XP drivers. I haven't had to do anything more than adding the Vista (Windows 6.0) support line and copy the DEV IDs into that section.

Really??!! It's that easy? If that's the case I can throw a tool together... but only if someone pm's me detailed info and examples of how it is done. Does this method work for just about any drivers? Or just creative sound drivers?

No you have to research the drivers. Some of them just put in registry entries, while other install programs and DLLs and other files. The number one problem you will run into with the latter type is whether those files will work in Vista or not. Here is an example of an INF that I changed to allow install into Vista. Taken from this original version, because Intel's drivers for the IME on certain boards didn't support Vista.

; File Name: HECI.inf
; Install information file for HECI Driver
;
; Generated by C DriverWizard 3.1.0 (Build 1722)
; Requires DDK Only
; File created on 6/20/2005

And I added these lines:

[Intel.NTx86.6.0]
; DisplayName Section DeviceId
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2974
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2984
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2994
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29A4
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29B4
%HECI_DeviceDesc%=HECI_DDI, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C4

A reply was finally posted. Not really an apology, but an explanation at least. Seems like it really was related to license issues with other companies. Could have been handled a lot better.

I totally agree on that. Daniel_K did what Creative couldn't do in the first place and that is fix their "broken" Vista sound drivers.

A reply was finally posted. Not really an apology, but an explanation at least. Seems like it really was related to license issues with other companies. Could have been handled a lot better.

I totally agree on that. Daniel_K did what Creative couldn't do in the first place and that is fix their "broken" Vista sound drivers.

Yes, but Creative only let him continue with the Audigy series. So no X-Fis under vista except Auzentech's Prelude. Why? Because the Prelude is more expensive than the regular X-Fis, so its sales would drop dramatically if the regular X-Fis would work under vista. I bet Creative has an agreement with Auzentech, coz their drivers magically work under vista, and they're coded by Creative, not by Auzentech. That's the whole reason for the X-Fis. For the Audigy cards, it was just that Creative wants people to ditch them and buy their newer products so they make more money.

Heh, the story's already been around the world, and the losses for Creative will be much higher than they expected. To say the least, Extreme Overclocking Forums - 75000 members, DiGiTALZoNE board, the forum i moderate - 67000 members, MSFN - 185000 members (wow!!!), Computer Games Forum - one of the largest forums in Romania - 147000 members. And this is only 4 boards where the news were posted. Also, a number of the very active members at Extreme Overclocking (4 or 5 i think) run small computer stores, and they said they won't carry Creative cards anymore. So it's more than a couple stores doing that too.

Also, have a read here and tell me what do you think: Creative accuses Asus of false advertising.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3