Is that legal?

resq4u

I have a Geniune copy of Vista Ultimate. And for long I was waiting for PreIntegrated Vista SP1 from microsoft official Web site (MSDN and Connect). But it seems that P2P has yet again defeated the official relese dates. I recently downloaded "6001.18000.080118-1840_x86fre_Client_en-us-FRMCFRE_EN_DVD.iso" from torrent network (CRC: 0xCE4CB528, MD5: b09267740ddd1a08d80b04ec6bbc232a).

Is it legal to use it instead of using my Non-SP1 vista copy? And whether its an actual Vista SP1 or not?

I have a Geniune copy of Vista Ultimate. And for long I was waiting for PreIntegrated Vista SP1 from microsoft official Web site (MSDN and Connect). But it seems that P2P has yet again defeated the official relese dates. I recently downloaded "6001.18000.080118-1840_x86fre_Client_en-us-FRMCFRE_EN_DVD.iso" from torrent network (CRC: 0xCE4CB528, MD5: b09267740ddd1a08d80b04ec6bbc232a).

Is it legal to use it instead of using my Non-SP1 vista copy? And whether its an actual Vista SP1 or not?

So what do you think ? Is it legal or not ? :blushing:

Edited by hannubys

why would you assume that an OS load obtained from anyone except the original maker (MSFT, etc) is both legit and not pre-loaded with spyware, etc?

That's why I've given the CRC & MD5 Hashes of that ISO and want someone to confirm that its the orignal one; as I'm in no mood of downloading ~3GB of data again. If the hashes doesn't match, then its crap.

It IS illegal.

The situation infuriated some users after they found pirates could download illegal copies of SP1 RTM from BitTorrent sites while developers were locked out by Microsoft.
As predicted, pirate copies of Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 are already available from Bittorrent websites, weeks before consumers can get them legally, showing once again just how efficient hackers and decentralised networks really are at providing and distributing illegal stuff.

And the winner goes too....*drum role please* :P (bored)

Want to download a copy of Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008 now that they’ve gone to RTM? Sadly, the only way to do it is by breaking the law, with both programs having already made their way onto the world’s bittorrent networks.

There's your answer :)

-Lego

---------------------------Quote Links-----------------------------------

First quote - http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...p;intsrc=kc_top

Second and Third quote - http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16524/1105/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by LegoLiam™

Well....that more-or-less answers my both queries....the reason was that yesterday I tested it on VirtualPC after Vliting it...and faced a problem in "Switching window's features On/Off"...I was unable to change any setting in it. Same removal settings worked flawlessly in Plain Vista.

But anyway, I think Now is not the right time for asking SP1 related problems...or is it??

Thanks

It IS illegal.

It is absolutely nothing.

Unless you are referring to some country legislation, you can't state anything.

Consider this example : you've bought a CD (music, OS, anything), you forgot it near the window and the CD got damaged by the sun. What happens if you download a replacement copy ?

In France, it has recently been declared illegal because all copyrighted download has been (before only sending data was illegal) and the interesting point is you will be directly fined, there will be no judgement and imho this is because a court would not rule you are guilty.

It is also important to know that EULA (including some Microsoft's) are not applicable in some countries as they are against the law.

If you want a definitive answer, you have to check three things : your country law, what is called "jurisprudence" here is France (previous rulings) and the software's EULAs.

As such you have to know whether such downloads are legal or not. But I doubt anybody would bother you with this as unofficial SP downloads incur absolutely no loss to microsoft.

my feelings on this subject are this - you paid for your copy of vista with its legit key. so if micosoft will not send you a DVD with service pack 1 integrated, i went to micosoft forums and asked this very question and was told that no microsoft will not do that, then i feel that if you can get an image which is untouched and by that i mean cracked or loaded with spyware and viruses then it is within your right to do so. what are they going to do to you? you did not pirate anything and you have the COA and a legit key.