HELP: How to make sw that need 98SE or up to run under 95 OSR 2.x?

Ken-mkII

Hi there....

I just want to know if there is any methods to let a software which need at least Win98se or up to run under Win95 OSR 2.x?

Since I have an old notebook (Pentium 75Mhz, 48M RAM) that I want to use to surf on web and using IM to chat with other while I am on bed (Heh...)

First of all, I have installed Win98SE on it, but... the speed is REALLY slow as a turtle, the IM software that I need to use nearly can't be used under this old cake notebook.....

So, I switched to use Win95 OSR2.1, which is alots faster... But the downside is that, I can't get the IM software to work anymore... (Can install, but can't run).

Then, I remembered that there is post in somewhere mentioned that after installed the active desktop w/ IE 5.5 SP2 on OSR 2.1, can make it run Window ME's Spider Solitaire game (Which need new fuction in shell32.dll).

So, I do so... Finally I got Win95 OSR 2.1 + Active Desktop + IE 5.5 SP2 w/ all updates... But how sad that I still can't make the IM software that I need to run.....

Is there is any methods to add those missing fuctions that the IM need under OSR 2.1?

Or... Any project that like KernalEx to add XP functions to 98SE, but for OSR2?

Any reply are welcome... Thanks everybodys, and sorry for my poor english.

PS: The IM that I need to use is called QQ, which is an popular IM in mainland China (Sorry only support Tradtional & Simpified Chinese)

The download address of this IM is: http://dl_dir.qq.com/qqfile-big5/FTQQ2005F..._PatchSetup.exe

If anyone would like to test with it, many thanks!

Edited by Ken-mkII

Hmmm .....

I have no idea what I'm doing with this thing ... ;)

I have never use this QQ ... let alone know what I'm dealing with ...

I did this to challenge my lazy brain to see if I can make this absolutely no warranty whatsoever patch on QQ to work ...

If you're willing to test, put this patched dll (make backup first) into your QQ folder and see if your QQ can run on 95OSR2... Remember, I have not the slightest idea if this will properly work ... Use at own risk ... :angel

(BTW, check that your OSR2 should have updated wsock2 and msaardk ?)

QQhelperdll patch {withdrawn}

Rgds

Edit: out of curiosity, I installed the whole QQ thing and tried it on a win95 ... wowzer, so colorful ... but something went amiss ... somehow the patch botched something somewhere (now getting more lazy to see where) ... All other QQ apps runs except QQ IM ... sorry ...

Edited by PassingBy

If speed is really a concern, you should not have installed the Active Desktop update. It's a real hog, and integrates IE.

It's possible to modify executables to use the Active Desktop SHELL32.DLL instead of the usual one if needed.

"98Lite" may or may not "slim down" the 98SE so it won't hog resources (haven't tried it). Find it and check it out to see if it will suit your needs...

Since QQ need IE5.5 or up to run correctly, I don't think 98Lite is not the solution...

If you're willing to test, put this patched dll (make backup first) into your QQ folder and see if your QQ can run on 95OSR2... Remember, I have not the slightest idea if this will properly work ... Use at own risk ... :angel

(BTW, check that your OSR2 should have updated wsock2 and msaardk ?)

QQhelperdll patch {withdrawn}

Hi PassingBy... Where is the patch?!

And of course I have updated t winsock2 and DUN 1.4....

Edit: out of curiosity, I installed the whole QQ thing and tried it on a win95 ... wowzer, so colorful ... but something went amiss ... somehow the patch botched something somewhere (now getting more lazy to see where) ... All other QQ apps runs except QQ IM ... sorry ...

Umm... So will you still try to patch it once again...

If speed is really a concern, you should not have installed the Active Desktop update. It's a real hog, and integrates IE.

It's possible to modify executables to use the Active Desktop SHELL32.DLL instead of the usual one if needed.

But the problem is that QQ need IE 5.5's function (not confirmed if it needs Active Desktop, too)

First, "98Lite" will NOT remove anything BUT what you want removed.

Keep the whole Win98 install (screw 98lite, then), go to "add/remove" and uninstall anything you don't need. Stop the Task Scheduler and any other "service" you don't need.

Second you stated QQ needs IE5.5 (and you also stated "and up" ), IE6SP1 should be just as good (even better).

Lastly, yeah DO install BUT turn off Active Desktop too (as suggested). It has nothing whatsover to do with the existence of the "required files"; they are installed, just not used by the Desktop. (this is assuming you go with Win95 OR Win98)

Slim that puppy down until the only thing running is all that you really want, otherwise resources will be consumed... (part of the reason I suggested 98lite). Heck, the same thing goes for Win95!

75mhz+48mb ain't much, but it'll fly (unless overloaded)...

Heck, go onto Ebay and get another CPU and some old memory sticks (cheap, bud!).

Hmmm .....

Hi PassingBy... Where is the patch?!

And of course I have updated t winsock2 and DUN 1.4....

Umm... So will you still try to patch it once again...

Sorry ya, I did post a patch but later tested it on a win95 machine and found crashboombang bug in the patch thus its withdrawn ...

I have a bit of free time just now and looked at this QQ stuff again ... there's seems to be an english version out there and perhaps I'll take a look at it later ... I've found an older qq2003 that seems to install/work in win95, here :

http://soft.pdsu.edu.cn/list.asp?id=681

It was a lot smaller so I d/l and made an install test run ... seems to install & start without a glitch ... don't know if you can login since I'm really dumb with chinese texts .....

I'm guessing that your old p75 notebook is a really old model that doesn't have a 2nd level cache (I've worked with those models before) thus it'll run painfully slow with win98 ... keep those linux with gui away, they'll crawl too (if the notebook is really without 2nd level cache and/or came with slow vga subsystem) ... the gui part is the one that makes it crawl ... not worth upgrading these notebooks as many old models uses proprietary ram modules ...

Talking about IM, well, out of curiosity I d/l yahoo messenger 7.5 from oldversion and install it on win95osr2 ... made a quick patch and a quick test run ... seems to work on my win95 testbed ... let me know if you want it ... *Seems that I have to make a bit more adjustments to make ym 7.5 to work without error popup ... tested with ym 7.0.x up to 7.5.0.814 and all ym 7.0.x will run without modifications on win95*

Rgds

Edit: added text between *...*

Edited by PassingBy

Is there is any methods to add those missing fuctions that the IM need under OSR 2.1?

Or... Any project that like KernalEx to add XP functions to 98SE, but for OSR2?

Which functions are actually missing? For shell32.dll, you may use shell32.dll from windows 98, rename (e.g. shell98.dll) and hexedit your software to use this. (Did this some a good long time, till writing my own shell32 extension stuff)

Thanks for everybody help...

Finally, I got Win98SE full installed to use QQ... (Sigh)...

And now the case is...

1) 98lite fail... If I removed IE, QQ got crazy after running a while... (Remove others such as task scheduler not help much)

2) The last QQ version which can login to its server is 2004..... But since some function in group chat is missing... Finally I use QQ2005 instead.

3) Yepp, the laptop can`t upgraded... the CPU is BGA 75Mhz... and RAM is not standard...

4) maybe I will try Controller`s idea someday later to see if I could make it work again under Win95 OSR2.5...

5) What the good news is.... I am using this old cake notebook to reply here now, heh... (640 x 480 is not much resolution, but at least I can still surf here...)

Well, could you post the actual specs of the machine?

Like;

Dell Latitude D400

512megs Ram

40Gig HD

Windows XP service pack 3 beta

or

Gateway Solo 2000

Pentium 1 90Mhz

8 Megs built-in, 2 open slots

8Gig HD

I ask because I have a MULTITUDE of older laptops. You say you live in China; I do not know postage and shipping rates, but I *hate* throwing good parts into the garbage. If I somehow have a compatible RAM stick or two, and you'll pay shipping, I will **gladly** ship them to you.

I have done this on other message boards for other people in the past; I create a private EBay auction (with a BUY IT NOW set at $0.99US- to cover the actual shipping materials) and email you the details to bid on the part(s)... we both get our backsides covered by PayPal and EBay that way.

(Normally I do not ship to China, but I will make an exception for you... sounds like something I went through quite a few times...)

Good luck!!! Your story may have even inspired me to pull out my Pentium 90 machine... I used it for DVDs (downloaded to the hard drive) and mp3s about 5 years ago... The little machine still boots up 95 OSR2.1...

May I ask if there is another program you could use for IMs? I am not familiar with any other languages, but I *do* have a way of forcing software to just work... I also have no idea about using multiple languages on a computer...

Have you tried to use Windows 2000 on this machine yet? It is possible to strip down W2000, much like 98... I have booted Win2000 on as little as 12megs of ram (I do not suggest it), and was still able to browse the web (at worse than dial up speeds on my 15megbit connection).

Also, does your program (or any website you visit) require Flash or Java to run? I do not have the info right now, but there are faster alternative apps to replace Flash and Java...

Have you defragmented your hard drive and set your virtual memory manually accordingly? On my P90, 8meg system I had to manually set my virtual memory to 1,512megabytes (Windows 9x seems to 'max' your virtual memory at around 2-3 times your ram size on its own, in my personal experience).

You can save some bytes in ram by NOT using a wallpaper, NOT using custom cursors, NOT using system sounds, and also by NOT having icons on your desktop. DO NOT select 'hide icons' on your desktop, just delete any icons you do not absolutely need to have on the desktop. "Hide Icons" uses even more ram. You can safely use a 'pattern' (not 'wallpaper') without adding slow downs.

Also, if you have any extra fonts on the machine... remove them for a slight ram increase.

Do you have Rambooster installed? I know of other such programs, but RamBooster still installs on 95A and does a terrific job at cleaning out ram (load and run it before you load QQ... need more info? http://www.download.com/RAMBooster/3000-2086_4-10028673.html )

If anything I've mentioned hasn't been tried yet, feel free to ask for more help here. I will monitor this thread for a while, and throw in my 2cents as needed.

Good luck my friend!

Well, could you post the actual specs of the machine?

Sure, my old cake laptop's spec is:

Hitachi 5NM01

CPU: Pentium 75Mhz (BGA)

C.S.: Intel 430MX Chipset (No UDMA... Orz..)

RAM: 16M on-board + 32M extention board (Non-Stand), 48M totally

HDD: Toshiba 2GB

VGA: Curris Logic 7543 PCI 1M

LCD: 640 x 480 DSTN

SLT: 16Bit PCMCIA Type-II socket x 2

LAN: AMD 97Cxxx 16bit 10Mbps Lan Built-in (This is the only Good thing!)

SND: ESS 1788 16bit ISA

O.S.: Windows 98SE Traditional Chinese Version w/ I.E.6 SP1

I ask because I have a MULTITUDE of older laptops. You say you live in China; I do not know postage and shipping rates, but I *hate* throwing good parts into the garbage. If I somehow have a compatible RAM stick or two, and you'll pay shipping, I will **gladly** ship them to you.

I have done this on other message boards for other people in the past; I create a private EBay auction (with a BUY IT NOW set at $0.99US- to cover the actual shipping materials) and email you the details to bid on the part(s)... we both get our backsides covered by PayPal and EBay that way.

(Normally I do not ship to China, but I will make an exception for you... sounds like something I went through quite a few times...)

Well, thanks first... But I think that shipping to China is a painful problem since there is several problems:

1) I don't have any Credit Card, so I can't pay via paypal... Orz...

2) Non-Chinese Address can't be posted in lots of China's countries beside Shanghai or Beijing...

3) China Custom will charge huge income tax of each products that she lists in her charge list (Computer parts is one of the thing that she will charge MUCH!)

The alt. method is... Post to Hong Kong (Yes, actually I am a HongKongese... But due to some reason, I stay in mainland China... Errr...)

But still need to solve the payment issue... (I lost job long times, so... None credit cards anymore...)

Good luck!!! Your story may have even inspired me to pull out my Pentium 90 machine... I used it for DVDs (downloaded to the hard drive) and mp3s about 5 years ago... The little machine still boots up 95 OSR2.1...

?! Your P90 can play DVD's VOB files?! As I know, Range from P133 up can only play VCD...

Now, my P75 main usage is... MP3 player... (Beside the QQ)

May I ask if there is another program you could use for IMs? I am not familiar with any other languages, but I *do* have a way of forcing software to just work... I also have no idea about using multiple languages on a computer...

Well, beside QQ, I also use MSN & ICQ (not much now... Err.. I am the 1st gen. of ICQ user since Win 3.1)

Umm... I think language is not the problem (beside it will 'eat' more memory to hold the truetype chinese font caches)... So, it SHOULD work on every language's OS.

Have you tried to use Windows 2000 on this machine yet? It is possible to strip down W2000, much like 98... I have booted Win2000 on as little as 12megs of ram (I do not suggest it), and was still able to browse the web (at worse than dial up speeds on my 15megbit connection).

Have't tried 2000 yet... Since the machine has no CD-ROM... Install 2000 on it will has some terrible procedlue (Fat32 format -> copy files to HDD via LAN -> Install -> Fat32 to NTFS etc..), it is why I install 98se finally... heh... I am LAZY...

Have you defragmented your hard drive and set your virtual memory manually accordingly? On my P90, 8meg system I had to manually set my virtual memory to 1,512megabytes (Windows 9x seems to 'max' your virtual memory at around 2-3 times your ram size on its own, in my personal experience).

You can save some bytes in ram by NOT using a wallpaper, NOT using custom cursors, NOT using system sounds, and also by NOT having icons on your desktop. DO NOT select 'hide icons' on your desktop, just delete any icons you do not absolutely need to have on the desktop. "Hide Icons" uses even more ram. You can safely use a 'pattern' (not 'wallpaper') without adding slow downs.

Also, if you have any extra fonts on the machine... remove them for a slight ram increase.

Yep, I know this kind of tricks... If don't set the virtual memory size larger, it can't run any memory-eaten softwares nowadays with little of physical memory.

And I am using 95 style shell instead of 98... Anyway, nearly did all you prefer... Heh...

Do you have Rambooster installed? I know of other such programs, but RamBooster still installs on 95A and does a terrific job at cleaning out ram (load and run it before you load QQ... need more info? http://www.download.com/RAMBooster/3000-2086_4-10028673.html )

If anything I've mentioned hasn't been tried yet, feel free to ask for more help here. I will monitor this thread for a while, and throw in my 2cents as needed.

Good luck my friend!

Err... RamBooster.... Lead me to think back the old ages when I install Win95A on my 4M 386DX-40Mhz & Win 3.1 ages.... Long time haven't used this software... You CALL back me old memories...

Finally, sorry for my late reply, and thanks for your help...

PS: Now is Chinese New Year (Lunar New Year), "Kung Hei Fat Choi! " (Dunno if you understand what it means... )

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty... I found your machine online... but from what I've read, it doesn't officially support 48 megs of ram to begin with...

Do you have a camera available to take a picture of the ram compartment? Or perhaps a picture of the ram module itself?

I have gone through my old machines, and dug up a Pentium 166MMX with 48megs ram and a 5Gig hard drive. It has USB ports and apparently fried PCMCIA ports (x2).

I have a USB CDROM drive, an LPT (printer port) CD ROM drive, and a PCMCIA CDROM drive... I do not wish to *sell* them, but if you have a need... like I said before, if you can figure out shipping....

I fear I may not have ram to fit your machine, but you never know... If I could just find the user manual in English I would have all the info I need.

As far as installing Win2k goes... It may be more stable, but are all the drivers available? Speaking of drivers, do you have all the drivers installed under 9x so far? A slight driver issue could really slow down the machine.

Years ago, when I first got online... I met someone 'Grizz in the woods'... He mailed me a complete inkjet printer with new ink cartridges and a pack of paper... for free. I still got the printer. If I can somehow 'pass it forward', and send you some hardware to help you out, I would be very happy; wish you were closer, or in an easier to ship to country...

I don't know how much the shipping would/could be... but I am offering up at least the laptop I mentioned above, and perhaps the LPT CDROM drive (it has drivers for DOS, 3.1, 9x, and above). I also have a few other laptops that I could ship you (weight and cost becomes the issue here).

Do you have Windows 2000? I *own* 35 legit copies of Windows 2000 (at least I got the certificate of authenticity with keycode).

I also have a computer tower... It is a P4.. .don't remember the speed (1.8Ghz?), with 512megs ram. I need to get $100 for it (to pay the guy I bought it from). If you are possibly interested, let me know. The tower has Windows XP on it, and weighs about 40 pounds. It also has a 40gig Hard drive (or a 30?)

If you can take a few decent pics of your machine (more specifically, the ram module and ram 'slot'), I may still be able to dig up something that'll fit...

I *really* wish you were closer... your problem is right up my alley (something I enjoy and am good at). Not to forget, I got loads of older machines similar to yours- if you are capable, I will gladly *give* you one.

Playing VOBS on low CPU

I used a program called QuickView for DOS. If you google it, you'll get a LOT of false results (popular name). If you are still interested, ask me for a link in your response. Using it entails copying the VOB files onto the hard drive, setting QV (QuickView) to 486cpu, highest priority, DOS-only. If your video card has UnivBE (or something like that, can't remember... Universal Video BIOS extention or something similar), your performance will be MUCH better.

I gotta go... catch ya later!

link to QuickView for DOS

http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/

EDIT::

Hmmm.... I've gone through the site... says it does NOT support DVD playback... odd... I could have sworn this was the app I used....

Looks like I might have to do some testing to confirm or retract that statement...

I thought all I had to do was rename the .vob to .mpg I could be mistaken with what software I used, though.

Edited by DeadDude