Linksys WRT54G router. Want to replace firmware.

weEvil

What firmware is currently reccomended for the WRT54G router? I'm having some networking issues and I want to see if new firmware will help. I need something that is most up-to-date or bug free. Whichever is most stable. I wouldn't mind some extra functions/performance out of my router.

Worst case scenario. What happens if I mess it up. How do I re-flash a broken firmware upgrade?

depends upon what version you have wether you can use anything other than the factory firmware on it. If you are not after different features just try the newest version from linksys and see if it solves your problems.

im running hyperwrt on mine
Ditto here.
i love the 'static dhcp' option...
I tried to explain that to my professor back when I was taking networking courses. He thought I was kidding and said "there is no such thing as static DHCP, that doesn't even make sense!" :rolleyes: He was correct for the most part, of course. Static DHCP isn't so much a standard as it is a feature found on a few products. But Cisco does have DHCP Static Mapping which I understand is the same idea. And as Ciso goes, the rest of the industry eventually follows with respect to features.

Cool. So what does Tomato offer compared to the rest?

Basically I'm interested in enhanced security. Only allowing my computers on the network (through MAC addresses?).

Do any of these firmwares allow you to block IP address ranges? Like PeerGuardian 2 does?

Better wireless performance is a bonus.

i'm running tomato on that exact model (v2)

awesome firmware, static dhcp is a godsend, and really simple to use wireless filter & security option

had no problems at all, the best router i've ever owned

use polarcloud website, and here's some good tutorials on the firmware too

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160

edit..

here's a virtual test of the firmware (an older v)

http://lampiweb.com/tomato/status-index.htm

Edited by bledd

Cool. So what does Tomato offer compared to the rest?

Basically I'm interested in enhanced security. Only allowing my computers on the network (through MAC addresses?).

Do any of these firmwares allow you to block IP address ranges? Like PeerGuardian 2 does?

Better wireless performance is a bonus.

You can read all about it in WikiBooks and of course the official Tomato FAQ.