Tweaks

babis

Various Tweaks:

To browse the tweaks I suggest to use ctrl+f and search for //

To search for a certain tweak use ctrl+f and search for it

31Mojo's Suggestions

===============================================

//Memory Tweaks

Click on Start, Run. Type in regedit & hit Enter. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContr

olSessionManagerMemory Management]. You can edit the following entries as you see fit for your PC.

//ClearPageFileAtShutdown.

For the more paranoid Users out there this option will be of some use. Right click on this entry & select Modify. A value of 1 specifies that the Pagefile(s) are to be wiped of content during the shut down process. This will result in system shut down times taking longer, although you can be confident that no data stored in it will be able to be accessed as a result (As it will be empty upon shutting down). Setting this to 0 will disable clearing the Pagefile(s) & result in fastest system shut down.

//Disable Paging Executive. (Originally Submitted by AaronXP)

When enabled, this setting will prevent the paging of the Win2k Executive files to the hard drive, causing the OS and most programs to be more responsive. However, it is advised that people should only perform this tweak if they have a significant amount of RAM on their system (more than 128 MB), because this setting does use a substantial portion of your system resources. By default, the value of this key is 0. To enable it, set it to 1.

//Large System Cache. (Originally Submitted by AaronXP)

When enabled (the default on Server versions of Windows 2000), this setting tells the OS to devote all but 4 MB of system memory (which is left for disk caching) to the file system cache. The main effect of this is allowing the computer to cache the OS Kernel to memory, making the OS more responsive. The setting is dynamic and if more than 4 MB is needed from the disk cache for some reason, the space will be released to it. By default, 8MB is earmarked for this purpose. This tweak usually makes the OS more responsive. It is a dynamic setting, and the kernel will give up any space deemed necessary for another application (at a performance hit when such changes are needed). As with the previous key, set the value from 0 to 1 to enable. Note that in doing this, you are consuming more of your system RAM than normal. While LargeSystemCache will cut back usage when other apps need more RAM, this process can impede performance in certain intensive situations. According to Microsoft, the "[0] setting is recommended for servers running applications that do their own memory caching, such as Microsoft SQL Server, and for applications that perform best with ample memory, such as Internet Information Services."

//IoPageLockLimit. (Originally Submitted by AaronXP)

This tweak is of questionable value to people that aren't running some kind of server off of their computer, but we will include it anyway. This tweak boosts the Input/Output performance of your computer when it is doing a large amount of file transfers and other similar operations. This tweak won't do much of anything for a system without a significant amount of RAM (if you don't have more than 128 MB, don't even bother), but systems with more than 128 MB of RAM will generally find a performance boost by setting this to between 8 and 16 MB. The default is 0.5 MB, or 512 KB. This setting requires a value in bytes, so multiply the desired number of megabytes * 1024 * 1024. That's X * 1048576 (where X is the number, in megabytes). Test out several settings and keep the one which seems to work best for your system.

//PagingFiles.

This option contains the location of the Pagefile & the Initial & Maximum size values. This is useful should you wish to rename the Pagefile, e.g. pagefile.sys to win386.swp, to do so select this entry, Right click on it & select Modify.

Babis's Suggestions

//Make the text for the desktop icons tranparent

1. Right Click My Computer, select Properties Then Advanced ::::> Performance(Settings)

2. Scroll to the bottom in the visual effects tab

3. Check "Use Drop Shadows for icons labels on desktop"

//Remove text from Icons on desktop

1. Rename the icons to alt + 255

3. For the recyle bin check this site: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-010

//Change the bitrate of the mp3 recording (check sedative's list for the "enable mp3 in xp file"

Start::::> run:::> regedit::::>find the following key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMediaPlayer

SettingsMP3Encoding]

"LowRate"=dword:0000dac0

"MediumRate"=dword:0000fa00

"MediumHighRate"=dword:0001f400

"HighRate"=dword:0002ee00

Edit the rates to the way you like:

320 Kbps = dword:0004e200

256 Kbps = dword:0003e800

224 Kbps = dword:00036b00

192 Kbps = dword:0002ee00

160 Kbps = dword:00027100

128 Kbps = dword:0001f400

112 Kbps = dword:0001b580

64 Kbps = dword:0000fa00

56 Kbps = dword:0000dac0

//Get Rid of the puppy

01. Download Powertoys for Windows XP

02. Open up TweakUI for Windows XP

03. Select Explorer on the left pane, and check "Use Classic Search in Explorer".

//Enable "Rename" in Recycle Bin

01. Open NotePad and copy the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}ShellFolder]

"Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20

"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

02. Save as "recycle.reg" with quotes

03. right click... merge...

04. now goto the bin and change its name!

//Set Downloaded Pictures in the Display.cpl

01. Download a picture and save it in the following directory

C:WindowsWebWallpaper

02. Open up the display properties and change your newly downloaded

picture.

Cyborg_Dell's Suggestions:

//How To : Add Custom Folder to My Computer or the Desktop

Create the following series of keys and values in the registry at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID] or [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID]. The GUID, globally unique identifier, can be a random number, in this example "FD4DF9E0-E3DE-11CE-BFCF-ABCD1DE12345" is used. See this article for more GUID examples.

1. Create a new key called [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{FD4DF9E0-E3DE-11CE-BFCF-ABCD1DE12345}] and set (Default) to equal the name of the folder e.g. "My Folder".

2. Create a new sub-key under the main key called "DefaultIcon" (i.e. [HKEY_CLASSES...ABCD1DE12345}DefaultIcon]) and set (Default) to equal the filename for the icon you want to display e.g. "c:windowsmyicon.ico".

3. Create a new sub-key under the main key called "InProcServer32" (i.e. [HKEY_CLASSES...ABCD1DE12345}InProcServer32]) and set (Default) to equal "shell32.dll", also create a new String value called "ThreadingModel" and set it to "Apartment".

4. Create a set of sub-keys starting at the main key "ShellOpen My MenuCommand" (i.e. [HKEY_CLASSES...ABCD1DE12345}ShellOpen My FolderCommand]) and set (Default) to equal the command to execute when clicked, in this case explorer, e.g. "explorer /root,c:MyFolder". Change "Open My Folder" to command to display and "c:MyFolder" to the directory you want to use.

5. Create a set of sub-keys starting at the main key "ShellExPropertySheetHandlers{FD4DF9E0-E3DE-11CE-BFCF-ABCD1DE12345}" (i.e. [HKEY_CLASSES... ABCD1DE12345}ShellExPropertySheetHandlers{FD4DF

9E0-E3DE-11CE-BFCF-ABCD1DE12345}])

6. Create a new sub-key under the main key called "ShellFolder" (i.e. [HKEY_CLASSES...ABCD1DE12345}ShellFolder]) and create a new Binary value called "Attributes" and set it to "00 00 00 00".

7. To place the folder (which is now a system folder) on the desktop add the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerDesktopNameSpace{FD4DF9E0-E3DE-11CE-BFCF-ABCD1DE12345}]

8. To also place it in My Computer create this key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion

ExplorerMyComputerNameSpace{FD4DF9E0-E3DE-11CE-BFCF-ABCD1DE12345}]

Now the folder cannot be deleted from the desktop or My Computer, nor can it be renamed other than removing the CLSID and the entries under NAMESPACE.

This beats TweakUI's "Remove Shortcut Arrows" any day....

FthrJack's Suggestions

//Tip for users that have CD burning software installed (ezcd,nero,etc...)

if you havent already go to START > RUN > msconfig >

now click the services tab and turn OFF (untick) IMAPI CD BURNING COM service.

Gibletpie

//Disable Image Viewer

1. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}shellex

2. and delete the subkey: MayChangeDefaultMenu

3. Reboot. Images will now open in your default viewer by double-clicking. You can still right-click and select PREVIEW if you want to open it in Image Preview.

//If you want to get rid of the PREVIEW menu option entirely, you can go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}InProcServer32

and for the (Default) Value, delete the data so it is empty, "".

Reboot. No more "Preview" option on right-click.

jrichard326's Suggestions

//Increase bandwith when using QoS (Mainly for large netoworks)

1.make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator priviliges.

2. start - run - type gpedit.msc

3. expand the "local computer policy" branch

4. expand the "administrative templates" branch

5. expand the "network branch"

6. Hilight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window

7. in right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting

8. on setting tab check the "enabled" item

9. where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0

reboot if you want to but not necessary on some systems

//Unhiding Add/Remove Items

This is VERY usefull in taking out those annoying programs that the install didn't allow you to select NOT to install. Messenger and MSN Explorer for example. In your c:windowsinf is a file called sysoc.inf edit this file with Notepad. If you can't find that file... I suggest you show all files. You should see lines that look something like this:

msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Isn't it interesting how that word hide is in there? Yep you guessed it. Hit CTRL + H to Replace. In the "Find what" box type hide and then hit the "Replace All" button. Save, exit and go check your add/remove programs. Nice huh? A very clean way to un-install crap you don't need.

//Turn off hibernation(removes hiberfil.sys) Control Panel-Screen Saver Power-Hibernate Tab-uncheck hibernation box-reboot and hiberfil.sys is no more.

//Turn off Error Reporting Automatic updates etc. Right click on My computer icon and choose properties, advanced tab, error-reporting button

//If you have a piece of software that refuses to install because it

says that you are not running Windows 2000 (such as the Win2K drivers

for a Mustek scanner!!) you can simply edit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/ProductName

to say Microsoft Windows 2000 instead of XP and it will install. You

may also have to edit the version number or build number, depending on

how hard the program tries to verify that you are installing on the

correct OS. I had to do this for my Mustek 600 CP scanner

(compatibility mode didn't help!!!) and it worked great, so I now have

my scanner working with XP (and a tech at Mustek can now eat his

words).

//Here's a great tip to speed up your browsing of Windows 2000 & XP machines. Its actually a fix to a bug installed as default in Windows 2000 that scans shared files for Scheduled Tasks. And it turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a network because Windows 2000 is using the extra time to search the remote computer for

any Scheduled Tasks. Note that though the fix is originally intended for only

those affected, Windows 2000 users will experience that the actual browsing

speed of both the Internet & Windows Explorers improve significantly after

applying it since it doesn't search for Scheduled Tasks anymore. Here's how :

Open up the Registry and go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key :

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

and delete it.

This is key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you like you may want to export the exact branch so that you can restore the key if necessary. This fix is so effective that it doesn't require a reboot and you can almost immediately determine yourself how much it speeds up your browsing processes.

//Delete Tour.Exe

I was able to delete all of the Windows tours files, except for tour.exe. It was protected by the Windows File protection service and each time it was deleted, XP just replaced it. Here is what I did to get rid of it. It is a registry hack...so be sure to back up if you are unsure of registry editing...

Manual FIX "To disable WFP, start Regedit or Regedt32 and go to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogonAdd/modify the "SFCDisable" DWORD [REG_DWORD] Binary entry to read FFFFFF9D.Reboot when done.To (re)enable WFP modify "SFCDisable" to read 0.

You must re-boot for the change to take effect. You then can delete tour.exe despite the warning that XP will give you. I then went and changed the reg key back to "0".

LeMartin's Suggestions

//HotKey in XP

Windows: Display the Start Menu

Windows + D: Minimize or restore all windows

Windows + E: Display Windows Explorer

Windows + F: Display Search for files

Windows + Ctrl + F: Display Search for computer

Windows + F1: Display Help and Support Center

Windows + R: Display Run dialog box

Windows + break: Display System Properties dialog box

Windows + shift + M: Undo minimize all windows

Windows + L: Lock the workstation

Windows + U: Open Utility Manager

//Havin' troubles with timeout ?

Open "RegEdit" and search for "AutoEndTask" and put it to "1"

(Default is set to "0", and it should apear at least 3 times!)

//In StartUp create a batch file (like go.bat) and insert what U whant:

copy /y C:Docume~1Admini~1LocalS~1Applic~1Micros~1Ou

tlook*.* x:MesDoc~1Outlook >nul

del /f /q c:*.tmp

del /f /q c:windowsminidump*.*

//Havin' troubles with mIRC connection and XP FireWall

Go to your internet connection

On advance tabs click setting

On sercices tabs click Add

In description service write "Identd"

In Name or IP write your PCname of IP (Best is the name of your pc)

External port write 113 internal too and leave TCP marked

Click OK

//Use the ultimate configuration tool

Start and then Run, then type the following:

gpedit.msc

//Remove the Shared Documents folders from My Computer

Simply fire up the Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer My Computer NameSpace

//DelegateFolders

You'll see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. If you delete this, all of the Shared Documents

folders (which are normally under the group called "Other Files Stored on This Computer") will be gone.

You do not need to reboot your system to see the change

//Close Pc automaticly

Go in bios to enable the power management.

Control Panel -> Power Options -> onglet APM and Enable Advanced Power.

//To get Admin account on the "Welcome Screen", make sure that there are no accounts logged in.

Press "ctrl-alt-del" twice and you should be able to login as administrator!

//WinXP Clear Page file on shutdown

Go to Control panel Administartative tools, local security policy. then goto local policies ---> security options.

Then change the option for "Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile"

//MASSIVE FILE RENAMING

A new, small, neat feature for winXP deals with renaming files. Select several files in Explorer, press F2 and rename one of those files to something else. All the selected files get renamed to the new file name (plus a number added to the end).

//CD Burning problem whit WinXP (ASPI LAYER)

WinXP does not come with an aspi layer. So far almost 90% of the problems with winXP and CD burning software are aspi layer problems. After installing winXP, before installing any CD burning software do a few things first:

1. Open up "My computer" and right click on the CD Recorder. If your CD recorder was detected as a CD recorder there will be a tab called "Recording". On this tab uncheck ALL of the boxes. apply or OK out of it and close my computer.

2. Next install the standard aspi layer for NT. Reboot when asked.

LouCypher's Suggestions

//Some Registry Tweaks

open up notepad and type the following line

"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

Then add the appropriate part from within LouCypher's Suggestions.

// When you import this file into your registry, the Norton AntiVirus

// Scanner startup logo is not displayed.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARESymantecNorton AntiVirus NTClinic]

"DisableSplashScreen"=dword:00000001

// Disable automatic shares

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServi

ceslanmanserverparameters]

"AutoShareWks"=dword:00000000

"AutoShareServer"=dword:00000000

// Change logon background to black

[HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelColors]

"Background"="0 0 0"

// Turn off logon screen saver

[HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelDesktop]

"ScreenSaveActive"="0"

// No "shortcut to" on shortcuts

[HKEY_USERS. DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion

Explorer]

"link"=hex:00,00,00,00

//boot tweak

1. Its loading the OS. You can see which files it is loading as it does it by adding a "/sos" to the end of your OS load line in boot.ini.

2. Right click "My Computer" -> Properties -> "Advanced" tab -> click Startup and Recovery "Settings" button -> "To edit the startup options file manually, click Edit." (click edit) -> add "/sos" to the end of your line (w/o quotes) like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (verbose)" /fastdetect /sos

Piaqt's Suggestions

//Customize Open/Save Places

I've been trying to tweak the WinXP Places bar for weeks. Then I finally opened gpedit (C:WINDOWSsystem32gpedit.msc). Under Windows Explorer, there's a plugin which allows you to do just that.

PogMoThoin

Enable DVD playback

http://xp.modrica.com/forum/attachment.php...?s=&postid=4819

Panda's Suggestions

//Increase D/L Limit in IE6

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServic

esVxDMSTCP

create a new String called "MaxConnections" (without the quotes).

Double-click on the newly created MaxConnections and enter the value "500" (without quotes)

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurre

ntVersionInternetSetting

create a new String called "MaxConnectionsPerServer" with value="20"

create a new String called "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server" with value="20"

NOTE: GOTO http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q282402 before applying the above tweak!

Sashja's Suggestion

//Skinning Legacy Apps

Inserting a style manifest into the resource section is an easy way for legacy apps take advantage of the new look for common control styles and appearances on Windows XP. Check out PE Explorer at http://www.heaventools.com

Sean's Suggestions

//Diasble ballon Tips

Download (if you don't already have them) Powertoys for Windows XP...

Open TweakUI and go to "Taskbar" and Unckeck "Enable balloon tips"

Sedative's Suggestions

//customize the "places bar"

Run gpedit (C:WINDOWSsystem32gpedit.msc). under user configuration go to administrative templates-> windows components-> windows explorer-> common open file dialog-> items displayed in places bar. configure it as you wish.

The places bar is the window on the left side of all open/save dialogs.

//Enable Mp3 Burning in WinXP

http://xp.modrica.com/forum/attachment.php...?s=&postid=3584

tcc's suggestions

//remove outlook blocked access

Enter the following in your registrity

and any *.exe & *.com will not be filtered

and can be saved as usual.

NB Make sure you use a good AV shield.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0OutlookSecurity]

"Level1Remove"=".exe;.com"

Works with Outook XP like a charm.

You can also try BigBooger's Suggestion for the aforementioned tweak @: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm

Xper's Suggestions

//Unlock Toolbars to customize them

Right-click on a toolbar, and then click Lock the Toolbars to remove the check mark.

Right-click on the toolbar again, and then click Customize.

You can add and remove toolbar buttons, change text options and icon options.

When you've got the toolbar customized, click Close.

Now right-click on the toolbar and then click Lock the Toolbars to lock them in place.

//Speed Up StartMenu

The default speed of the Start Menu is pretty slow, but you can fix that by editing a Registry Key. Fire up the Registry Editor and navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER Control Panel Desktop MenuShowDelay

By default, the value is 400. Change this to a smaller value, such as 0, to speed it up.

Please Note: Obviously some tweaks were not discovered by the various submitters, nevertheless we gave them credit for posting them here.

• 6 months later...

Customize the Folder Detail View

Set your file folder view to Details. Do so by selecting the View drop-down menu and then Details. The default view shows the Name, Size, Type, and Date Modified fields. You can add others.

Right-click anywhere on the column/fields header (where it says Name, Size, and so on).

A list will appear with all the field options for the folder view.

You can add and remove columns by clicking on any of them (those that are set to appear will have a check next to them).

You can change only one field at a time.

For more control, click on More... at the bottom of the list.

A Choose Details dialogue box will appear.

Select and deselect the fields you want by clicking on the check boxes (or use the Show and Hide buttons on the right side of the box).

You can even use this dialogue box to change the column viewing order.

To do so, click on the name of the column and then click the Move Up or Move Down button.

When you're all finished, click OK.

LS

• 5 months later...

Thumbs.db is a useless file if it's in a webserver images directory. It is simply used for a cache for your images so that when you open a folder in explorer you can see a mini thumbnail of the image. It doesn't store any vital information however.

Removing this is quite easy also, all ya need to do is go into any open folder and select TOOLS/Folder Options/View tab/ then turn off or rather click "Do not cache thumbnails". Then apply to all your folders as I did.

supplied from SupaFly

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

These tweaks allows you to control access to the Internet Explorer setup and control panel functions (found under Tools -> Internet Options).

Open your registry and find the key below. Create a new DWORD value based on the options below, and set the new value to equal "1" to enable the restriction or "0" to disable the restriction.

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

• Accessibility - disables all options under Accessibility
  • Advanced - Prevent changes to advanced settings
  • AdvancedTab - removes Advanced tab
  • Autoconfig - Prevent changes to Automatic Configuration
  • Cache - Prevent changes to temporary file settings
  • CalendarContact - Prevent changes to calender and contacts
  • Certificates - Prevent changes to security certificates
  • CertifPers - prevents changing Personal Certificate options
  • CertifPub - prevents changing Publisher Certificate options
  • CertifSite - prevents changing Site Certificate options
  • Check_If_Default - Prevent changes to default browser check
  • Colors - Prevent Color changes
  • Connection Settings - Prevent changes to connection settings
  • Connection Wizard - Disable the Connection Wizard
  • ConnectionsTab - removes Connections tab
  • Connwiz Admin Lock - disables the Internet Connection Wizard
  • ContentTab - removes Content tab
  • Fonts - Disable font changes
  • FormSuggest - disables AutoComplete for forms
  • FormSuggest Passwords - prevents Prompt me to save password from being displayed
  • GeneralTab - removes General tab
  • History - Disable changes to History settings
  • HomePage - Disable changes to Home Page settings
  • Languages - Disable Language changes
  • Links - Disable Links changes
  • Messaging - Disable Messaging changes
  • Privacy Settings - prevents changs to privacy settings
  • PrivacyTab - removes Privacy tab
  • Profiles - Disable changes to Profiles
  • ProgramsTab - removes Programs tab
  • Proxy - Disable changes to Proxy settings
  • Ratings - Disable Ratings changes
  • ResetWebSettings - disables the Reset web Setting button
  • SecAddSites - prevents adding Sites to any zone
  • SecChangeSettings - prevents changing Security Levels for the Internet Zone
  • SecurityTab - removes Security tab
  • Settings - prevents any changes to Temporary Internet Files
  • Wallet - Disable changes to Wallet settings

Restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.

• 1 month later...

Maybe this might NOT be a tweak as such but I found this programme to be much better than the one MS gives you in XP or ANY OS.

It is called Metapad and is brilliant. Here is the link and if you find it useful, a little donation would help the people that write it. It is freeware and there are no bugs in it. They also have directions as to how to replace the standard one :) Enjoy

Metapad

• 10 months later...

'Open with...' on context menu of every file

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\openas]
@="Open With..."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\openas\command]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
 00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,75,00,\
 6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,25,00,53,\
 00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,\
 79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,\
 00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,4f,00,70,00,65,00,6e,00,41,00,\
 73,00,5f,00,52,00,75,00,6e,00,44,00,4c,00,4c,00,20,00,25,00,31,00,00,00

Use this to prevent unknown file types from having two 'Open With...' on its context menu

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell]

Custom Environment Variables

add as many as you want under this key

after logging in with this, you could open a command prompt and type echo %username% and it would return selyb

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
"username"="selyb"
"favcolor"="blue"

several of the tweaks mentioned above ask you to download powertoys or whatnot

AFAIK, powertoys only edits the registry

several of them are located here

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Hidden"=dword:00000001
"ShowCompColor"=dword:00000001
"HideFileExt"=dword:00000000
"DontPrettyPath"=dword:00000000
"ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000001
"HideIcons"=dword:00000000
"MapNetDrvBtn"=dword:00000000
"WebView"=dword:00000000
"Filter"=dword:00000000
"SuperHidden"=dword:00000001
"SeparateProcess"=dword:00000001
"StartMenuInit"=dword:00000002
"StartButtonBalloonTip"=dword:00000002
"Start_ShowNetPlaces_ShouldShow"=dword:00000041
"NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001
"FolderContentsInfoTip"=dword:00000001
"FriendlyTree"=dword:00000000
"WebViewBarricade"=dword:00000001
"DisableThumbnailCache"=dword:00000000
"ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000001
"ClassicViewState"=dword:00000000
"PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000
"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000000
"TaskbarGlomming"=dword:00000001
"Start_LargeMFUIcons"=dword:00000000
"Start_MinMFU"=dword:00000006
"Start_ShowRecentDocs"=dword:00000002
"Start_AutoCascade"=dword:00000001
"Start_NotifyNewApps"=dword:00000000
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

the ones that arent obvious i cant remember what they do and dont feel like looking up :-p

under this key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

the windows key shortcuts mentioned above will not work

"NoWinKeys"=dword:00000001

this specifically tells explorer which drives not to automatically run the autorun.inf from

i once found a list somewhere that had the dword codes for each drive type

if you do this, the AutoPlay will not even be on the context menu for those particular drives

"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

there is another registry tweak that leaves AutoPlay on the context menu but does not automatically run it nor does it even check when a disc is injected

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:00000000

(i wonder if i have those backwards?:unsure:)

i use this as a minor security measure and for the fact that i edit reg files more than i import then

double click to edit, right click and merge to import

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\merge]
@="Mer≥"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\merge\command]
@="regedit.exe /S \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open]
@="&Edit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command]
 00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
 54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45,00,20,00,25,00,31,00,00,\

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\print\command]
 00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
 54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45,00,20,00,2f,00,70,00,20,\

move some system folders on a per user basis

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

(in regedit they were text but when i exported they were in hex :} )

Personal is 'My Documents'

startup is from the start menu

this will keep Windows Tour tray icon from ever appearing for you or any future users

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour]
"RunCount"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour]

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@ selyb - there is a problem with the formatting on some of your code, it is something I have noticed since the recent site change over. If people copy and paste it, it very likely will f**k em up.

For now I would suggest removing the

\

& nbsp;

from each of the relevant lines in your regs. This will put all the data on one line instead of splitting the code along several lines

• 1 month later...

On the 1st post, renaming Desktop Icons ... I can only rename My Computer, My Documents and just 1 more icon. When I try to rename another it says that name has already been given to some other icon. :(

Any help for this?

• 2 months later...

Well u should try like this

Let's say My Computer = ALT 255

Then My Documents = ALT 255 255

Internet Explorer ALT 255 255 255

And So On..u Could Use Space Bar Between 255

Ex. ALT 255"SpaceBar"255

ALT 255"SpaceBar""SpaceBar"ALT255

More Than Enough To Get u Started :hello:

Edited by BlueMe

• 6 months later...

I can't find any register patch like this patch mention:

Panda's Suggestions

//Increase D/L Limit in IE6

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServic

esVxDMSTCP

create a new String called "MaxConnections" (without the quotes).

Double-click on the newly created MaxConnections and enter the value "500" (without quotes)

Can anyone fix this path? I think it is wrong... :blushing:

I use it this way:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

"TcpNumConnections"=dword:00fffffe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000020

"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000020