GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft (MSDBuild v5.5)

If I do as Felix suggested and expand the svcpack.in_ to svcpack.inf and edit it should it not be compressed back to svcpack.in_ so that the next time I do a fresh install or repair install with that CD everything performs as expected? :blink:

If I do as Felix suggested and expand the svcpack.in_ to svcpack.inf and edit it should it not be compressed back to svcpack.in_ so that the next time I do a fresh install or repair install with that CD everything performs as expected? :blink:

No need to recompress it if you don't want to - setup will process svcpack.inf uncompressed.

Cheers!

It turns out that the problem I was having was because IE8 implements per-site ActiveX controls. and was prompting each user to approve the running of each ActiveX control. To quote from Microsoft's website http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd433050(VS.85).aspx "When a user navigates to a Web site containing an ActiveX control, IE8 makes a series of checks to see whether that control has permission to run. If the use of the control is in question, the user is notified through an Information bar that the control wants to run. IT Professionals administering a system of computers running Internet Explorer 8 may choose to preset allowed controls and their associated domains, using the following template:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{CLSID}\iexplore\AllowedDomains\{DOMAIN} where {CLSID} represents the class identifier of a control in question, and {DOMAIN} represents the domains allowed to run the specified control."

Apparently, you have already set similar registry keys for IE7 "thanks to ricktendo64", so I simply created the following IE8 specific registry file, that I integrate into the registry after your program runs, during the cmdlines.txt portion of the install, so it can be "propagated to each new local user account as it is created later." Using a combination of my registry keys, and your program, everything is working in IE8 again. I did not integrate them into your update however, because I did not want to modify your program. I will leave that up to you, as you see fit. So thanks again for all of your hard work, and we truly do "stand on the backs of giants"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Per-Site ActiveX Control, See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd433050(VS.85).aspx

; Remove Microsoft Update ActiveX Prompt for IE8

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6e32070a-766d-4ee6-879c-dc1fa91d2fc3}\iexplore\AllowedDomains\microsoft.com]

; Remove Microsoft Update Catalog ActiveX Prompt for IE8

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4}\iexplore\AllowedDomains\microsoft.com]

; Remove Office Update ActiveX Prompt for IE8

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8}\iexplore\AllowedDomains\microsoft.com]

; Remove Office Update Engine ActiveX Prompt for IE8

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{C7DB51B4-BCF7-4923-8874-7F1A0DC92277}\iexplore\AllowedDomains\microsoft.com]

@Rich_Weiss

Thanks for taking the initiative and for reporting your results.

I'll include your findings in the next version of the guide and add the required registry settings to the setup Information (.inf) files.

Thanks for saving me some research time. Hey guess what? You're one of the giants now, nice job! :thumbup

• 1 month later...

ive used this and worked nicely thanks theres 1 thing i dont want to install office products yet i have to include them to make the msdownload file what do i edit to not have to add

# InstOGAV.in_ – * Installs Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

# InstOUIE.in_ – * Installs Office Update Installation Engine

ive used this and worked nicely thanks theres 1 thing i dont want to install office products yet i have to include them to make the msdownload file what do i edit to not have to add

# InstOGAV.in_ – * Installs Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

# InstOUIE.in_ – * Installs Office Update Installation Engine

Follow the instructions to edit a custom SFX-MSD.ini, the file is documented internally. ;)

EDIT: Whoops, I quoted the wrong post!

Edited by DarkShadows

• 4 weeks later...

If the version changes/updates it should auto update

BTW DarkShadows a nice globe icon for Update Catalog can be found in urlmon.dll from ie7/8 that is more like the earth icon on the catalog site

Edited by ricktendo64

what about 64 bit machine,because muweb.dll is store in other location. And what will happen if the version changes of microsoft update.

I know from the referenced sources, that we could actually install the .dlls to either %WinDir% or %WinDir%\System32 (and most likely to any other folder). We just need to change the registered file path in the associated setup information file. In fact, one of the ActiveX control's .dll (Office Update if I remember correctly) currently resides under %WinDir%, while the rest reside under %WinDir%\System32.

I used the same locations Microsoft used for each control on 32-bit Windows. So long as the registry keys and values are used to register the ActiveX controls are the same on 64-bit Windows as they are on 32-bit Windows, then the file locations should not matter.

MSDBuild.exe's job is to package the most recent versions of all the related ActiveX controls into your MSDownloads.exe package at the time you build it. MSDownloads.exe's job is to install what was packaged on your PC, in a working state, during Windows unattended installation. From there Microsoft takes over, and auto-updates each of the various ActiveX controls, on their own schedule.

As Ricktendo64 mentions, when any ActiveX control auto-updates, it should download, install, and re-register and the next version of its .dll where it really belongs. The only downside of might be that maybe the older .dll version might be orphaned and left behind on your system. That is to say I'm not sure that the ActiveX auto-update will remove a .dll file stored in a location different from the location it installs the new .dll version to. By contrast, when the ActiveX control installs its new .dll version to the same location that MSDownloads.exe installed the old .dll version to, then the old .dll is overwritten by the new and no obsolete files are left on your system.

Can I get a code of the MSBuilder.exe so that I can customize it according to it.

You've already have it! :whistle: It's all just script files archived up inside a WinRar SFX. Just download everything using WUD and extract MSDBuild.exe to a folder without running it. The only thing that you do not have is the script I use to automatically package MSDBuild.exe. We can worry about that one later.

Unfortunately, I only have 32-bit versions of Windows XP to test on, so I can only speculate. I cannot actually test and confirm where the files should go or if the registry keys and values are all the same on a 64-bit system. I also wonder if the datastore.edb file works the same on 64-bit Windows, and if a seperate version of datastore.ed_ should be maintained for 64-bit systems?

The whole time I've maintained this guide, no one with a 64-bit system has informed me if any of this even works on a 64-bit system or not. And no one using 64-bit Windows has stepped forward to test and report back. So I have no confirmed knowledge if the .dlls are the same for 64-bit windows, or if the requisite Windows update downloads are the same.

So instead of letting you change things, how about you help me find out what works first. For now, I'd ask you to not change anything, and please perform following test and reports the results.

On a Windows 64-bit system, attempt to build a MSDownloads.exe package strictly as follows:

1. Manually, launch all four Microsoft Update web sites and install their ActiveX controls, ensuring everything is working and authorized so that when close your browser and relaunch the web site, you are not prompted for anything.
  2. Install all Windows updates (related to my guide or not) using Windows/Microsoft Update. Your system should be up-to-date.
  3. Download and Install WUD (I think it requires .NET Framework, but check the WUD website).
  4. Download and install my MSDownloads.ulz from the first post here.
  5. Using WUD, you can click on any files in my list to open the KB article. Research which updates have 64-bit version.
    Q1: Which Updates from this guide have 64-bit versions?
    I know about Windows Update Agent v7.2.6001.788
    Q2: Does WUD work on Windows 64-bit correctly?
  6. Manually download any your 64-bit versions to your WUD download folder, and delete the related 32-bit version of the same update.
  7. Double-click MSDBuild.exe.
    NOTE: For now, customize nothing.
    Q3: Does MSDBuild.exe (and thus MSDBuild.cmd, 7-zip, and my various VBScripts) work correctly on Windows 64-bit?
    Q4: Did they collectively create a MSDownload.exe package?
    Q5: Does the MSDBuild.log file show any errors or warnings? (Please provide me this file as an attachment.)
  8. On this updated 64-bit PC, navigate to the Download Program Files folder. Right-click on each Update ActiveX Control and select Properties. Inspect the Code Base urls for each ActiveX control.
    Q6: Are these the same as what I'm using in SFX-MSD.ini?
    Note that for some ActiveX controls, that I'm using the static Microsoft url, if I know it. I would expect these to be different for 64-bit windows. So could you paste the urls for me?
  9. Create a 64-bit XPCD, but only add those updates and MSDownloads.exe as documented in my guide (from svcpack.inf). Do not install any other windows update or .Net Frameworks, et cetera. (This will save you a lot testing time.) Keep it with IE6 too.

On a test Windows 64-bit system, test strictly as follows:

1. Test install your 64-bit XPCD.
  2. After Windows Setup completes, Look for the icons MSDownloads.exe creates. And try running all the different update sites (you do not need Office installed to run Office Update).
    Q7: Did the shortcuts I document in the guide get created?
    Q8: Do the Update web sites work?
    Q9: Do any of the Update web sites prompt you to install or authorize any ActiveX controls?
    Q10: Do any of the Update web sites prompt you to download and install any other Windows updates?
  3. If everything is working so far, then install IE7 manually on the VPC (and any updates it requires too) and test the update sites again.
    Q11: Did you see any IE7-related prompts to authorize or install ActiveX controls?
  4. If everything is working so far, then install IE8 manually on the VPC (and any updates it requires too) and test the update sites again.
    Q12: Did you see any IE8-related prompts to authorize or install ActiveX controls?

If you can do the testing for me, I can help you get a working 64-bit version. I'm not always near a high-speed Internet connection, so this may take awhile. But we can get it done.

If the version changes/updates it should auto update

BTW DarkShadows a nice globe icon for Update Catalog can be found in urlmon.dll from ie7/8 that is more like the earth icon on the catalog site

Hey Rick, that's a nice find. I think I'll just rip that icon out and save it as a .ico file, that way the same shortcut will still work for people who are adamant about using IE6. Now I just need something else to change to justify working on this again. Any other ideas?

Do you have Windows x64?, can you shed any light on the questions I just posted above?

Edited by DarkShadows