Just built a rig

suryad

i'm working on becoming a linguist, practice makes perfect.

i'd say that for anything. i drive manual transmission, doesn't mean everyone knows how to use a clutch, the most important part of a manual car.

do i have solid evidence that vista doesn't work for most people? yes, and plenty. does every single person in the world have a brand new computer? no. do most people have computers with Pentium 4s? well, to be very real about it, people are just beginning to get rid of pentium 3 based rigs. why is this important you wonder to yourself? easy: many people are switching to linux. you don't even need a P4 to have a decent linux rig. continuing on the train of logic, how many people are even running dual core? very very few. while you see forums like this, it clouds your mind of the many million more in the suburbs, ghettos, and rural areas of this country as well as the world. people like us are very lucky to have new computers like this, and here we are arguing over what operating system they've got..there are people who are really lucky to have Windows 98 running on their computer. with the world in mind, not just these forums, yes, i can easily say that Vista does not work for most people. if the world was just people on forums, then we'd all be closer to world peace, but also remember, there are places in the world that haven't even made it to running water or electricity. computers aren't even a word to them.

i have a $130 soundcard, but i don't have speakers that are good enough to accompany them. how would you sort that out? SLi works just as well in DX9 than DX10, because there aren't as many DX10 games as DX9. heck, the most intensive game i own i could play with windows 98 and it would be blasting through frames with onboard graphics better than DX10 games on a pair of 8800's. also, good graphics is not all gaming, in fact an SLi system is very beneficial for people who use photoshop or other photoediting software, as well as video editing software.

would you believe that a hummer got 20mpg in the city if the stickers told you? its a world much larger than the united states, and even in the united states there's lots of room for improvement.

i don't say what i believe, i say what is true, and there's my proof.

If this were slashdot, and if I had mod points, that would have a big ol' +5 insightful" on it. ;) Probably the most moving piece I've ever read about a computer while reading an internet forum. Seriously. :angel

You raise a very good point. There are a lost of people out there who can't even afford a basic PC, let alone one like that or even a windows vista license. It makes me feel lucky to have the computer I have. It's not the latest and greatest, but it can kick the sh** out of the computers that many people are using. One thing though... you say that if the world were these forums, we'd be a lot closer to peace. Well, yes and no. Don't forget the spammers, the trolls, etc. And not to mention that there would probably be all-out war between those supporting Macs/Linux/Windows whatev version/whoever vs. all the others on the list. :P At my school it's considered lucky if you can sit down in front of one of the P4 or Celeron D machines before someone else does, leaving you stuck in front of a P3 or - ugh - a PowerPC mac. Things are getting better, but slowly.

I think the bottom line is this: choose what OS that you can a. afford and b. suits you best - your likes and your needs. And c) be happy with whatever you get, because regardless it'll probably be better than what many, many people out there have.

B.T.W., it's thanksgiving (or the day after, actually), so I'd just like to say that I'm thankful for the computer that I do have, and that it does what I need it to do.

Edited by Idontwantspam

:angel

if i could shake your hand DL.

Uhm, ok. Even though I don't quite get why.

I don't get it either. :unsure:

I was afraid it would be something very obvious that I just because of tiredness couldn't figure out right now.

don't think hard about it. in fact, the less you think about it, the faster you'll find the answer.

ripken, you throw out all of these "get vista!" remarks...i could blow all these "get linux" remarks and it would do as much good. its for you, or its not. man made computer, man solves problems with this overall problem he created, man continues to make problems with this much larger problem he created.

its a never ending process. you can be happy with what you have or want, or not...its all in the size of the bill. i paid for everything in my rig, something i doubt you did. it means a lot more to me when people tell me i made bad decisions on a rig that i chose completely. i'm not saying its bad that you didn't pay for yours, but there's a large sense of pride in doing something all by yourself, "it works for me" takes away all the pride in putting what you want into your rig. i wanted linux, i put on linux, and i wrestle it to do what i want. to put it into more context: whoever paid for all the parts of your computer choses everything about it. that would irk you just as much as it would anyone else.

its one thing to ask for advice. its another to blindly receive it. not in a bad way, but in a form of 'theres a lack of understanding' way.

do you see where i'm coming from? conceptually, not vista vs XP.

:lol: Unfortunately, I had nothing to do with building my rig. I wish I did, but I wasn't given the $$, I was given the computer. I'm just glad that it's mine and it works. Sigh. :}

By the way... your profile says you have XP x86, but you say you have linux. Which is it? Or is it dual boot?

Very nice rig, must've been really expensive and most likely quite loud too?

I would've selected another mouse; such as the G5 V2, Lachesis or Habu.

Just two HDD:s at a total of only 300 GB, but maybe you also have a file server at hand?

Vista x64 is probably a great choice for that machine, but XP x64 will also work very well.

Actually its not that loud...mind I have yet to put an OS on it yet cause I cant see the screen since I dont havve the monitor yet! :realmad: But still it really is not loud. The fans I got are just awesome. I have 6 120 mm fans in there not to mention the gpu fans. I am sure when under full steam its gonna get louder but I kid you not its whisper quiet. Those Scythe fans are just the shizz!

I am going to stick with 2 raptors since I dont have that much in terms of "data". I am going to get an external hard drive to store my anime and all that. So really only games and some work stuff will go and 300 gig is more than adequate especially if I install XP 64 bit which I already have nLited.

I think Vista will indeed work great given the current state of vLite. I read that the iso image is down to 575 mb which means that can go on to a cd and that post install its only taking 240 mb of memory and 2.2 gigs of hard drive space. But this is v1.1 and in beta and also SP1 aint out yet. So maybe I will consider Vista 6 months later.

Like I already have said before the fact is despite my rig being quite powerful, there is plenty of evidence saying that Vista is NOT faster than XP, its NOT equal to the performance of XP and thus I have no desire right now to put that on my machine. Given a bit more time like another year, I am sure Vista will turn out to be excellent just like XP turned out to be excellent after SP2. I just do not believe going to Vista right now will be a great idea. I think people who have migrated over to Vista just went for the next new thing kind of a deal and that is fine too. I am just a bit of a performance freak so knowing that I am spending extra cpu cycles on useless stuff just annoys me. That and all the I/O issues to me it is a no brainer to NOT go with Vista. My 2 cents.

And check this out. Makes my point succintly http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?catid=1&a...15#comment15591

Edited by suryad

don't think hard about it. in fact, the less you think about it, the faster you'll find the answer.

ripken, you throw out all of these "get vista!" remarks...i could blow all these "get linux" remarks and it would do as much good. its for you, or its not. man made computer, man solves problems with this overall problem he created, man continues to make problems with this much larger problem he created.

its a never ending process. you can be happy with what you have or want, or not...its all in the size of the bill. i paid for everything in my rig, something i doubt you did. it means a lot more to me when people tell me i made bad decisions on a rig that i chose completely. i'm not saying its bad that you didn't pay for yours, but there's a large sense of pride in doing something all by yourself, "it works for me" takes away all the pride in putting what you want into your rig. i wanted linux, i put on linux, and i wrestle it to do what i want. to put it into more context: whoever paid for all the parts of your computer choses everything about it. that would irk you just as much as it would anyone else.

its one thing to ask for advice. its another to blindly receive it. not in a bad way, but in a form of 'theres a lack of understanding' way.

do you see where i'm coming from? conceptually, not vista vs XP.

i did pay for my computer, every single part. and i do take alot of pride in it and i have gotten alot out of it. i cant beleive we are arguing this much about operating systems. and what do you mean by " 'it works for me' takes away all the pride in putting what you want into your rig." ?

i did alot of research on my computer and everything works perfectly. i didnt just go to newegg and pick out what looks the best by random. this thread has gone way off topic and thats enough from me.

suryad, you are afraid of wasting cpu cycles, look at the cpu you have! you have too much power.

Awesome! is what came to my mind when I read the specs. It is defiantly a beast. I have read all the XP vs. Vista comments and a lot of them are very good reasons for their own opinion.

The way I see it is that:

-Your computer isn't going to be slow even with Vista

-Eventually yeah you will probably need to go to Vista

-Last, but not least it is your decision, no one is going to look down on you because you chose Xp over Vista or vice versa.

My opinion I love Xp, and I love Vista! I bought Vista the first week it was out and found it to just as good as Xp if not better. Xp is a very very strong operating system, it will probably end up (in my opinion) like Windows 98. Either way you can't go wrong. Go with Xp if you want to then move to Vista when it is convenient for you. An operating system isn't forever it can always be changed.

Have fun with it and make it the way you want it! Isn't that why you bought it?

Edited by kutster

... also, good graphics is not all gaming, in fact an SLi system is very beneficial for people who use photoshop or other photoediting software, as well as video editing software.

Err. gwat?

And what has SLI to do with the sum of those apps?

---

By the way that HP LP3065 screen is a MONSTER!

A dual-link DVI graphics card is required for the LP3065 Flat Panel Monitor.

Synch input:

Three dual-link DVI-D inputs

Dimensions (w x d x h):

27.2 x 9.5 x 23.2 in (69.2 x 24 x 59 cm)

Weight:

30.6 lb (13.9 kg)

Thanks kuster. And you are right I bought it and put it together to have fun with it. I am really enjoying the comments back and forth because I am learning and seeing people's arguments. I do not want it to turn into just another XP vs Vista thread but it is quite refreshing to see ripken so enthusiastic about his POV. Not a lot of people stick to their guns. Its not a matter of right or wrong...its just a matter of him providing good arguments. So guys dont make all this stuff personal please :)

ripken you are right that I have too much power :P if there is such a thing. BUT coming from a computer science background it just irks me when something new comes out and if it is supposed to be better it is supposed to be faster. That is just plain and simple. I have read your arguments but you have not been able to convince me yet though. I mean why does Vista need 6 gigs of disk space. Why does the Microsoft patches work for some people and not for others when they said it would fix the slow unzip and the really slow file copy? Why has DX 10 been unable to provide what they had promised, ie, better looking games and more frames per second with all the shiny bits enabled? Yes some of it could be the APIs are so radically new that people are still figuring out all that stuff. But then as I said before you take a look at a game like Far Cry and you could basically replicate the DX 10 look with the DX 9 codepath. The only difference between DX 10 and DX 9 is the way you code, and the way the driver model works supposedly with less overhead. So who benefits from DX 10? Not the end consumer because half the time they cant even tell the difference...but the people who are coding the games! Heck even Epic's Mark Rein and Tim Sweeney and id's John Carmack have said there is no reason to move to Vista in terms of gaming. How do you argue with those guys?! :rolleyes:

I am going to ride out the XP wave and altogether skip Vista. That was my original goal. BUT...if by SP2 Microsoft gets Vista pulled together or even before that and performance is on par with XP or mightily close, if Nvidia gets their driver act together, etc etc, I will move over. I am not xenophobic in the least but no one has been able to convince me of the pros of Vista. All I see are the cons.

bonnestonne, punto is right. SLI wont help photoshop...maybe some video rendering in some really professional apps but most of it is offloaded to the CPU.

punto, yes that HP is quite nice and I got a 100 dollar rebate off of the price too! I was originally going to go with the Gateway XHD3000 but I read about the heat issues, and also the scaling chip is good for everything except PC input I think...and also its a first revision product and was already shown to have a defect in it. So that turned me off of it. Couldnt justify spending 500 more bucks on it.

D_block you really want to know how much it cost? I am not going to put the price on the forum to display hehe cause I am embarassed...:P

bonnestonne, punto is right. SLI wont help photoshop...maybe some video rendering in some really professional apps but most of it is offloaded to the CPU.

ok, this is what i read that led me to believe it:

While this won't necessarily have a specific effect on Photoshop individually, it will transfer the burden of drawing the interface from mostly the CPU to mostly the GPU, which might leave a tiny bit more CPU power available for other things...

for the system itself, since ram is getting cheaper, why only 4gb? given 64bit is public..