How to build a PC.

MSNwar

• 3 weeks later...

BlackWar, thanks.

www.buildyourowncomputer.net is an excellent site for beginners or advanced system builders. Easy to follow tutorials and site design are first class. Handy links are provided within the subject matter that allows a reader to source components.

BLACKWAR, Good Tip!

MSNwar - The FatMan

Warning to all of you...Phreaks is right. You need to research your PC by every component and take your time when picking out the parts you want to make a PC. There are so many little things that if you don't match up right, you will screw it all up! Go to www.tomshardware.com and read the reviews there. That is an excellent review site and also, just ask others before you buy the part. The problem is that everybody has a different opinion about what is good so take it with a grain of salt but it will help you to find more resources. Also remember this...I hate prebuilt computers and won't buy another one but if you don't have the time to troubleshoot your own stuff, don't build one. Buy it prebuilt...they test everything to make sure that it all works together before they send it to you and if it doesn't...they have to fix it!

Just my simple advice.

Rick:cool:

I choose the components I want, get some computer company to build it for me (not the main ones, just a small company in the UK) and I pay the £50 charge for them to build it, and get a nice warranty slapped on it! (that way I had a free graphics card and hard drive replacement, and they were better than the previous ones lol)

IMO this is better than building a PC at home, come on £50 is cheap, including warranty!

Thread Summary (Updated as Content is Warrented):

XPerienced forum members recommend selecting the components and either building their own or having it built for them.

Links:

www.gamespot.com (build your own PC tutorial)

www.buildyourowncomputer.net (Excellent site for beginners).

www.tomshardware.com (Excellent site with reviews and tutorials)

Related Thread(s):

http://xp.modrica.com/forum/showthread.php...s=&threadid=100 (Recommended Sound Card)

Request(s):

AaronXP, maybe you would be kind enough to post the Name, Address, and Telephone of the company you use in the UK for our UK readers?

MSNwar - The FatMan

Request(s):

AaronXP, maybe you would be kind enough to post the Name, Address, and Telephone of the company you use in the UK for our UK readers?

MSNwar - The FatMan

Yeah i'd be interested in their name and telephone number as well AaronXP,especially as you live in the same part of England as me.(just noticed location on your avatar)

MSNwar:

great work and I like the thread summary post

This post will help a lot of poeple. After we gather all the info possible/needed for building a computer, I'll make it a sticky topic.

Let's just get the complete info/feedback from around here and then we can compile a final draft.

I mentioned some general tips for shopping online. Hopefully they are useful

http://xp.modrica.com/forum/showthread.php...highlight=price

Im sorry but having someone send me a PC all together makes me feel like s***. I like to get 10-12 boxes and be able to put all that together, trust me once you do it one time the feeling is rewarding and youll know your components. I try to build one at least 3-4 times a year and like to move parts around with in my computers. It all not that hard and as I have preached to several people Ive helped on the board, always ALWAYS, do research on what hardware you want. Dont take word of mouth and buy it or price. Take time. It took me almost 4-5 months to decided which route i was going the last time I built one. If anyone needs any help let me know

-XPerties

After scouring some of the newer threads for related material I found this information very helpful. Buck614 is in search of a motherboard and processor combination that is smooth, fast, upgradeable, and obviously leet. Some of "MSFN's Finest" worked very hard in terms of narrowing down today's and tomorrows technology in an easy to read and understand format. Links to reviews (Athlon vs P4) and buyers tips are sprinkled throughout the thread. I think more than a few of us are looking at possibly upgrading after all the results are in. The end product looks to be the...

Motherboard: ASUS A7V333 or the MSI KT3 Ultra-ARU

CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2 GHz or higher

For those trying to decide which CPU to use (AMD vs P4) this a MSFN Must Read.

Motherboard and Processor Recommendation:

http://xp.modrica.com/forum/showthread.php...=&threadid=2469

MSNwar - The FatMan

• 2 weeks later...

i was just wondering Aaron, when you buy a pc from those guys, how do you know the bits inside arent cheap oem versions, as you cant open the case.

Also, if you buy the parts online yourself you would pay less than those guys, they may charge £50 but how many of the parts are you buying off of them that can be found much cheaper else where? infact they probably add a bit of markup to cheap products as it is and you are paying MORE than £50 for them to build it...

i might not be right, but something to bear in mind...

FthrJACK - also what you said to aaron, keep in mind this also happens...

You take the parts to the computer store and have them build it and they replce the PS , RAM, hard drive with cheeper or OEM parts and keep it for themselfs to resell or for there personal stuff.

DTA= Dont trust anyone!!!

-Xperties