HD Selection?

@ripken - the Perpendicular storage technology was initially invented by Hitachi. There's a good Flash video called "Get Perpendicular" that they released - very funny, very non-Japanese. :P

Another great feature that WD has with their new 1TB drives that are due out soon - IntelliPower. In regular words, it'll vary the rotational speed of the drive as needed to reduce power consumption when idle, and allow for full performance when needed.

@vegettoxp - Here's the product page for the Raptor non-X.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.as...amp;language=en

All you gotta do is search... I just put "Raptor" in the search box at WD's homepage and got the link. ;)

The Raptor without the window is just "Raptor" and the one with a window is "Raptor X".

Everyone has different experiences with HDD:s, a brand may work very well for some people but not for others.

I don't think the quality of the drive is the only major cause of failures. Cooling, handling and other hardware (primarily PSU) also has their impact on whether or not a drive will fail.

Active cooling (a fan or water), a high quality PSU (not some cheap no name stuff) and careful handling will make a drive last long.

Power spikes or sudden blackouts may also kill drives, using a UPS when the PC is in use and unplugging it when it's not can help.

I've used only Maxtor drives for the last five years (the oldest one still works as the only drive in a frequently used PC), my current drive is a 300GB DiamondMax10 (completely cloned monthly just in case) which has been heavily used (but not 24/7) since I bought it back in -04. A number of people I know have Maxtors that still works flawlessly.

A friend of mine had a number of drives, mostly (if not only) Maxtors, fail on him in just a few months (last year I think). But he had the drives placed closely together with no cooling and some crappy PSU to power them. Since he (per my advice) separated the drives and replaced the PSU, he hasn't had a single problem.

Of older drives from the mid-late 90's, Quantum (later bought by Maxtor) and Seagate often still works. I've seen a few WD-disks fail over the years. Maxtor, Fujitsu and Samsung where less frequent than WD in failing, but more than Seagate and Quantum.

Hey guys, if you don't mind, can you recommend me models of Which HD's I should look at. If you can. If you guys are busy, don't worry about it. I will look at the HDs and I will share my selection with you guys.

Thx for all the help!

Ok Guys, here is my list that I have narrowed down too. All these are 500GB HD's and I need to know which one fits my needs and once again my need are the following things:

Not To Hot

Good Performance

Quiet

So if you guys can tell me which HD or HD's I should look at, it will really help me out. Then that way I can start to do my research and reviews on the HD's.

Maxtor (My Old friend) Maxtor Basics ATA 100 Hard Drive Kit - 500GB (Part # L01Y500)

Western Digital - WD Caviar SE16 (Model WD5000AAKS)

Seagate HD - Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 500GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive

Samsung SpinPoint T166 (Model HD501LJ)

THX for all the help!

Seagate HD - Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 500GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive

lol, just wait a couple weeks, first week of september is when tech support said it will come out. they better be telling me the truth :rolleyes:

Thx for the input guys. Just for FYI, will I be able to find reviews on the "Seagate HD - Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 500GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive"?

Hey Guys, I was just thinking, Do I really need a High-End HD for storage. I mean I am already gona buy the Raptor for my Main OS Drive. Why buy a expensive storage drive. What's your guys opinion in this. I was look at spending $100 and $120 being the max. Do I really need an expensive drive for storage?

THX!

Edited by vegettoxp

who said anything about an expensive drive? your raptor is an expensive drive! 500GB are currently between $110 and $120. the 7200.11 will hopefully be near those prices.

Edited by ripken204

You won't find a Raptor in that price range either.

BTW, there is a difference between the Raptor 150 and the Raptor X 150. The Raptor X is an enthusiast drive that lacks the time-limited error recovery (TLER) feature found in the "regular" Raptor 150. It's a feature specifically for use in server/RAID applications and is also found in the Caviar RE and Caviar RE2 drives.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

You won't find a Raptor in that price range either.

BTW, there is a difference between the Raptor 150 and the Raptor X 150. The Raptor X is an enthusiast drive that lacks the time-limited error recovery (TLER) feature found in the "regular" Raptor 150. It's a feature specifically for use in server/RAID applications and is also found in the Caviar RE and Caviar RE2 drives.

ya but doesnt that only matter if you running it in RAID?

the raptor x also claims to have better cooling with its little fins, prolly only helps by one degree, lol.

there is only a 5$ difference in them at newegg.

@vegettoxp - Let me list off all the hard drives I've bought in the past two months:

2x WD2500KS

2x WD3200AAKS

4x WD5000AAKS

Need I say more? :lol:

Seriously though - the WD5000AAKS drives perform well, keep cool, and are very quiet - even during seeks. This is coming from a silence freak... :P

@vegettoxp - Let me list off all the hard drives I've bought in the past two months:... ...Need I say more? :lol:

Well, we only can read that there exists only one Harddrive brand for you ;).

Thx for the input guys. Just for FYI, will I be able to find reviews on the "Seagate HD - Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 500GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive"?

Nope, just a lot of people waiting for them…

I've got to say, between the two different types of drives I have in my system, the Seagates win (by far) in terms of noise level. I own three Seagate ST3250620A drives and three Western Digital WD2500JB drives. The WDs I have are pretty loud compared to the Seagates. Also, contrary to what Zxian mentioned about the WDs he has, the Seagates seem to stay much cooler than the WDs I have (but that might just be model-specific). Another advantage to the Seagate drives is that they come with a five year warranty! :D