HD Selection?

Western Digital WD2500JB

The JB series drives from WD were horrible in just about every aspect. Their latest drives don't have a single thing in common with those drives other than the WD logo. I'm sure WD would love to erase both the BB and JB series drives from history.

My personal preference goes with Western Digital. The WD5000AAKS drives are very quiet, draw less power than "the rest", and have a reputation behind them to boot (ok people - forget about the JB series drives - they sucked).
I own three Seagate ST3250620A drives and three Western Digital WD2500JB drives.

@gamehead - you're comparing a bad drive with a really bad drive, so the bad drive will win. Pick up a new KS or AAKS series drive and you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

If you're looking for a good source for quiet hard drives, look no further than the list of SPCR's Recommended Hard Drives. Like memnoch and I have said before in other threads, Samsung's may be great in terms of noise levels and such, but they're too new on the market to recommend as a long-term storage solution.

The link you gave us only shows a few drives, it’s not even complete Zxian. It would have been better to compare let’s say 6 brands/types of 500GB drives, 2 drives presented by each brand/type would be the minimum.

On the subject of noise levels, always install the drive with some anti-vibration drive mounts and not just in a solid steel/aluminum cage. Also put the entire case on something soft, like a carpet, an old newspaper or similar (be ware of static electricity). Both of those simple measures can reduce the low-frequency noise significantly.

It will be interesting to see the reviews of the Seagate 7200.11-series.

@gamehead - you're comparing a bad drive with a really bad drive, so the bad drive will win. Pick up a new KS or AAKS series drive and you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

I figured you'd say that! :whistle: But then again, I really don't care about performace or noise in the systems that they're in... As long as they can store data, and if they die on me, I really don't care anyway... :P

Hey Guys, I did a quick Price Check for the Seagate 7200.11-series and the lowest price I saw was $169. I do like this hard drive, but I hope the price comes down on this HD or else I am not gona spend that kinda money when I can get the same HD Size (500GB) for lest money.

Hey Guys, I did a quick Price Check for the Seagate 7200.11-series and the lowest price I saw was $169. I do like this hard drive, but I hope the price comes down on this HD or else I am not gona spend that kinda money when I can get the same HD Size (500GB) for lest money.

the hdd isnt out yet and the only stores that have them are no name stores. those are all pre-orders. wait for it to come out to newegg.

Thx for the info, I guess when the HD comes out for everyone, the price might come down to what I want to pay. So would you guys recommend me:

1 HD will me Raptor (Main HD)

3 - 4 Seagate 7200.11 HD for Storage or Should I look at Western Digital WD5000AAKS HD?

Thx for all the help and I hope we get some good reviews on the Seagate 7200.11 HD's Soon!

The Raptor is the fastest single-user drive today, but some of the new drives might beat it in some tests (but not access time).

Are you planning on using the drives in RAID for increased data reliability and/or performance, or do you need 2TB of storage?

Have you thought of some backup solution to backup all data on those disks?

@vegetto - you're asking a question that I don't think anyone can answer. Nobody knows how the 7200.11 drives will perform yet, since there aren't any benchmarks out.

As for your system drive - forget about the raptor. Get yourself two 250GB or 320GB drives and run them in RAID0. You'll get much better overall performance, and it'll cost about the same price as a single Raptor.

If you don't believe me - check out this. It's two HDTach results overlaid. The one result is my two WD3200AAKS drives, and the other is jcarle's two 74GB Raptors. As you can see - my performance wins on everything except for random access times. Remember - that's TWO Raptors in that graph, and you're considering getting only one.

2x74GBRaptor-RAID0-vs-2xWD3200AAKS-RAID0_thumb.png

@vegetto - you're asking a question that I don't think anyone can answer. Nobody knows how the 7200.11 drives will perform yet, since there aren't any benchmarks out.

As for your system drive - forget about the raptor. Get yourself two 250GB or 320GB drives and run them in RAID0. You'll get much better overall performance, and it'll cost about the same price as a single Raptor.

If you don't believe me - check out this. It's two HDTach results overlaid. The one result is my two WD3200AAKS drives, and the other is jcarle's two 74GB Raptors. As you can see - my performance wins on everything except for random access times. Remember - that's TWO Raptors in that graph, and you're considering getting only one.

2x74GBRaptor-RAID0-vs-2xWD3200AAKS-RAID0_thumb.png

well it also depends on what he is after. a high read speed wont help everyone..

and i think im confused about where you say that yours wins in everything but random access? the average read is the same. yours has better burst. so is that it? 2x74GB raptors look better to me in that case..

Let me put it to you this way - Two WD3200AAKS drives at NewEgg works out to $150. A single 74GB Raptor at NewEgg is $160. We just said that two Raptors are about the same as two WD3200AAKS drives - but you'd end up paying twice as much.

He'd be paying more for a setup that works half as well.