need all post XP sp2 updates

rcatank

So I need to format and reload our copy of XP sp2 on like 5 of the machines, and usually after install I go to M$ and get all the updates via downloading them and or letting windows update run on all my machines. Well all that take way too much time and its really annoying, so I was wondering if there is any way to get all the new updates from a image someone has. I know M$ used to do update disc's, but they ended that long time ago.

I just want to get all the updates once, and then just install them all at once. Go suggestions? :rolleyes:

Best solution over-all I have found to that, is just download the updates, and make your own OS install disk with all the updates integrated in to it......

I too,would love to do that.Can you give details,on how you accomplished this?Also would you be able to add and integrate all new updates that come along later?Thanks.

VAN

Best solution over-all I have found to that, is just download the updates, and make your own OS install disk with all the updates integrated in to it......

That would take much more time than for 5 computers to automatically download their updates. You can use RyanVM's "post SP2" update pack (~50Meg) and his integrator (that makes it 2 downloads instead of ...?) to make a new XP source. Or use nLite to integrate the pack and make your ISO (plus tons of options).

After you install onto the first machine, go to the M$ website for updates.

It will list each available update in a LINK. Click on the link and follow the download.

Then save each download to your machine.

I have done this time and time again without any problems.

After you have accumulated all the updates, install onto all the machines.

Pretty easy but time consumming.

Autopatcher seems like where I can just grab all the updates in one, but it is also very outdated. WUD seems to be a better choice, and probably the one I might go with, but I cant figure out how to use it. WTF is a ULZ file? :wacko: How do I use it?

You install WUD to your computer, which will register the ULZ file extension. ULZ is basically just a zip-compressed UL file (UL = Update List).

Download and open the ULZ file. This will cause WUD to copy the UL to it's local directory. Now open WUD and download the updates. :)

Autopatcher seems like where I can just grab all the updates in one, but it is also very outdated. WUD seems to be a better choice, and probably the one I might go with, but I cant figure out how to use it. WTF is a ULZ file? :wacko: How do I use it?

AutoPatcher isn't outdated; following a Core release, there are monthly Updates every "Microsoft Patch Month". Easy to use.

AutoPatcher isn't outdated; following a Core release, there are monthly Updates every "Microsoft Patch Month". Easy to use.

The only problem... it's larger in size than all the independent updates, or the ones you download from Windows Update. What's the total size that you need to have all the current updates when using AutoPatcher? 300MB? 400MB? 500MB?

I too,would love to do that.Can you give details,on how you accomplished this?Also would you be able to add and integrate all new updates that come along later?Thanks.

VAN

First, just so you know what you are looking at, take a partition and install the OS as it is on the disk you already have.

Copy the install disk to a folder - and extract the boot image from the disk (ISO Buster works well for that). Now go to the windows upate site, but do NOT install anything yet - click the link for the info on them, and download the local install (IT) version of the updates. NOT all of them have one, worry about that later. The majority of the updates can be added to the files you just copied to the WinXP folder with the /integrate switch from the command line (Some may not integrate, others can, but shouldn't because it messes things up {Like HTTP Authentication update} those just run via either cmdlines.txt or RunOnceEx.

Updates that have no local file to download - to make it easier to tell what is what - check only one at a time, and have it install. DO NOT allow the system to restart yet! - First copy the install files somewhere, they will be in a sub-folder under %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (Usually this is C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution ) you can make your own archive with them to install (Most of the time the file to run is called UPDATE.exe in a folder called UPDATE).

That's the basic idea - once you have all the updates integrated, or running somehow (at least in theory) burn the disk (I suggest on re-writable media) and test it. You need to burn a bootable disk (probably DVD) using the extracted boot image file, 4 sectors, no emulation, all ISO relaxing on, and put the files in the WinXP folder on the disk (I also added a folder called BOOT and put the boot image file in it, so you won't need to extract it again to make changes to the disk)

There is a lot you can also do while you are at it - like auto answer files, add application that auto install with the OS, exc. but that is a whole different thing....

The only problem... it's larger in size than all the independent updates, or the ones you download from Windows Update. What's the total size that you need to have all the current updates when using AutoPatcher? 300MB? 400MB? 500MB?

I don't know the cumulative size of all the updates without using AutoPatcher, but I'm sure there's not a vast difference. Any slight difference is offset by the convenience of installing all the patches automatically in one go instead of using Windows Update or one by one from stored patch backups. (I have 234 Hofix(s) installed at the moment.)

Edited by maf

First, just so you know what you are looking at, take a partition and install the OS as it is on the disk you already have.

Copy the install disk to a folder - and extract the boot image from the disk (ISO Buster works well for that). Now go to the windows upate site, but do NOT install anything yet - click the link for the info on them, and download the local install (IT) version of the updates. NOT all of them have one, worry about that later. The majority of the updates can be added to the files you just copied to the WinXP folder with the /integrate switch from the command line (Some may not integrate, others can, but shouldn't because it messes things up {Like HTTP Authentication update} those just run via either cmdlines.txt or RunOnceEx.

Updates that have no local file to download - to make it easier to tell what is what - check only one at a time, and have it install. DO NOT allow the system to restart yet! - First copy the install files somewhere, they will be in a sub-folder under %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution (Usually this is C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution ) you can make your own archive with them to install (Most of the time the file to run is called UPDATE.exe in a folder called UPDATE).

That's the basic idea - once you have all the updates integrated, or running somehow (at least in theory) burn the disk (I suggest on re-writable media) and test it. You need to burn a bootable disk (probably DVD) using the extracted boot image file, 4 sectors, no emulation, all ISO relaxing on, and put the files in the WinXP folder on the disk (I also added a folder called BOOT and put the boot image file in it, so you won't need to extract it again to make changes to the disk)

There is a lot you can also do while you are at it - like auto answer files, add application that auto install with the OS, exc. but that is a whole different thing....

Thanks RED,

For all the great details on how to do this thing.I will investigate this and get back with any progress,towards doing it.Thanks again.

VAN