• DAP
    • Orbit Downloader
    • Net Pumper
    • GetRight
    • Free Download Manager
    • Fresh Download
    • Net Transport
    • DownThemAll!

You download games don't you? Every gamer is highly interested in all kinds of games, some of which can be gigabytes in size. I just recently downloaded Rappelz Epic 3 and Last Chaos, both over 1.6GB each.

Heck, even some of the games I play have fanmade videos which are almost always 100MB+. I've got a friend in a CS 1.6 clan who makes the videos of their scrims and they're extremely good, but also about 200MB-300MB.

I have tried many, being a registered getright owner I was using getright. But then I stumbled upong IDM and I am really impressed.

The best thing is it can get all the links whether embedded in forums are are redirected and best it behaves the way you direct it to download particular files or leave others. Though it won't use mirrors, but it can really speed up files from one server pretty fast.

You download games don't you? Every gamer is highly interested in all kinds of games, some of which can be gigabytes in size. I just recently downloaded Rappelz Epic 3 and Last Chaos, both over 1.6GB each.

Heck, even some of the games I play have fanmade videos which are almost always 100MB+. I've got a friend in a CS 1.6 clan who makes the videos of their scrims and they're extremely good, but also about 200MB-300MB.

i download 200mb+ files occasionally but it only takes a few min.. if i was on a slower connection then maybe i would care..

IMHO none of them have what it takes to be called the "best" download manager.

I'm myself in between 3-4 download managers. Every one of them has something or the other missing. Getright would come close to "best", but unfortunately its too buggy and unreliable. I also don't like how Michael never implements the most basic, simple features like adding a separate column for comments and URL, allowing the user to add comments in the 'Add new download' box, multi-line comments, increasing the number of segments.. and the list goes on. What I like about Getright though, is that its the most feature packed dl manager. I love the GUI, the whole concept of tray icons as download indicators, and its mirroring service. I love the way it gets all the mirrors for SourceForge files automatically!

FlashGet, I would term is the least bug free (atleast, the recent builds) - they've been adding new features like Torrents and Emule which work perfectly (unlike the highly buggy Torrent system in Getright). But FG still lacks features like Daily Downloads and the option to ignore certain servers while click/clipboard monitoring. I also wish they add a visual notification (popup box) when a download completes. Getright, for instance pops up a nice little box after a download, allowing you to open the file and more.

I can live with these limitations though, but I wish they would work on adding more useful features than just improving P2P.

Orbit is even more buggier than Getright! One thing I hate about Orbit is that the devteam never listens to you! Atleast the Getright guys reply (nvm that they don't implement), but the Orbit team totally ignores all posts. They have yet to fix the Scheduler bug. I use a download manager mainly for scheduled downloads, and if that feature is missing, it makes Orbit useless for me. And all the changelogs read the same "Fix some bugs" (sic) . What bugs?! Once again, ask in the forums exactly what bugs have been fixed, and you get the same reply : "Changelog: Fix some bugs". >_>

Although, a few things I do like about Orbit is the handy flash/video downloader. It also has the best browser integration. Pickups the referrer and other parameters even when downloading from Firefox!

FDM is in a similar league as Orbit. Its been around for a while now, and so is much more stable than Orbit. But, it's still missing some important features which I can't do without. The cool thing though about FDM is that you can submit and read comments for a file you're downloading (thru the FDM community) within the program itself. So say, if you're downloading some XYZ program, you can read comments on how good or bad it is, and whether it contains any spyware. Also, if a program has been flagged by the users as having spyware, FDM will alert you before the download!

IDM is undoubtedly the fastest download manager. I personally though don't care for a few seconds faster download, but for those people on a slow line, IDM makes a lot of difference. What I don't like about IDM is its ugly GUI for one, and lack of features for other. Not as bugfree as Flashget, but more stable than Getright.

Net Pumper has spyware, and we all know when one needs to use Net Pumper ;) Does anyone even use it for regular downloads?

DAP - I've never used, but I hear it's quite buggy. But I like their other product called Speedbit Video Accelerator. It's also buggy, but I can live with it. The main thing is I no longer have to wait for videos to load :)

myself, I'm using IDM & FlashGet (+FlashGot) for years now

nowadays, I added the Orbit Downloader for Youtube, an live streaming videos download

but heck yeah, IDM is the fastest,

I liked the new torrent and emule capability of flashget

what i don't like about both, is there is no Windows Context Menu when you right click on certain downloaded file like for instance copy/move/delete (except Orbit Dowloader)

the bottom line, like dexter, it seems to be that there is no BEST downloader, but there is favorable downlodaers

• 2 weeks later...

I use IDM. Yes its fast, but I hate it how if you download multiple files at once, it really lags your computer which is annoying.

I use to like Getright, (When i had dialup) but now I hate it. It doesn't even increase your download speed anymore, and its slow.

Haven't really used the others yet.