HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

tommyp

You can only use this on the HFSLIP_051109.CMD file and newer.

Well, here's the latest UNSUPPORTED modification for your slipstreaming needs. It's a file reducer and an inf filter. It's geared toward the advanced users. I do not plan on making this official because quite honestly, it would take too much time. It works good enough for my needs. This is an open source NLITE alternative that runs via a cmd file. Nlite is a great program, don't get me wrong, but I like the idea of having an open source to reducing files. There's lots of people smarter than me with respect to this, so I can only bring so much to the table. HOWEVER, I'll leave it up to the community to develop the reducing files. I posted a few sample working files to get you rolling and a few sample files that are questionable. Too much time needs to be invested in this reduction stuff, and if you are really into it, then you[/] will craft the fileset you need. Like I said, I do not plan on developing reducing files, so you are on your own with the help of this forum. If you run into problems, you either reduced too much or you have a blank line in your file removal set or you don't know what you're doing (sorry but did I mention it's for advanced users?) If these files give you too much grief, don't complain to me as I do NOT support it. The files are supplied AS-IS.

To summarize on how it works, as taken from the README.TXT file in the zip archive.

!!!! If you are NOT using FDV's fileset, you need a modified SETUPAPI.DL_ file in your FIX folder for the cleanup to work properly. !!!!

!!!! DO NOT CREATE A FILE WITH AN EXTRA BLANK LINE IN IT !!!!

In other words, do not place an extra carriage return at the end of the file.

Create a folder alongside the HFSLIPxxx.CMD folder called HFCLEANUP. Unzip and/or create files and place into the HFCLEANUP folder. HFSLIP will not automatically create this folder for you.

Three types of files are processed here:

1. RDV=REMOVE DRIVERS

* File generated with notepad

* List of files with 2 character extension

ex driver.sys should be driver.sy

* Files listed here are deleted from the extracted driver cab and the i386 folder

* Entries are removed from txtsetup.sif, dosnet.inf, layout.sif, syssetup.inf, sycoc.inf

* HFSLIP automatically generates the driver.inf file

B. REM=REMOVE FILES

* List of files with 2 character extention, ex driver.sys should be driver.sy

* Files listed here are deleted from i386 folder

* Entries are removed from txtsetup.sif, dosnet.inf, layout.sif, syssetup.inf, sycoc.inf

C. RIN=REMOVE INF SECTION FILES

* Semicolon delimited list

* Used as an "INF filter"

* Example of a typical line: infname.in;text_to_remove

infname.in.... Note it is .in, not .inf

text_to_remove..... a string of characters on a line of the infname.inf that you want to remove

* Do not use semicolons in your text_to_remove string

* HFSLIP will open The infname.inf file, and remove any line with the text_to_remove character string

How does it work?

Timeline...

1. The RDV files are processed first and deletes the driver files from the extracted driver cab and the i386 folder.

2. The REM files are processed and deletes files from the i386 folder only.

3. The txtsetup.sif, syssetup.inf and sysoc.inf files are processed.

4. The RIN files are processed. When the RIN file is parsed, it looks for a corresponding REM file with the same name.

When file ABC.RIN is processed, it looks for a ABC.REM file.

If the ABC.REM file is present, it uses the contents of the ABC.REM file as an additional filter.

5. Once the inf file is processed, it is recabbed and placed into the sourcess\i386 folder (unless it was deleted already).

6. HFSLIP recabs the extracted driver.cab, and generates a new driver.inf file.

Notes:

1. See example RDV, REM, RIN files.

2. RIN files can have a dummy text_to_remove section (I used qazwsx), but the intent is to prepare the INF file for cleaning via the corresponding REM file.

For example: File Cursurs.rin has a dummy section.

contents: accessor.in;qazwsx

Cursors.rem has a list of files. HFSLIP will open accessor.inf and filter out the filenames listed in cursors.rem

3. You can alter hivexxx.inf using the RIN method (as long as you find a unique string in the file).

4. Strings cannot have a semicolon.

5. Be careful with what you remove. Do not arbitrarily delete files you *really* need.

6. Did I mention that you need a modified SETUPAPI.DL_ file?

(post edit - please refer to here).)

Edited by tommyp

Yes, Nlite is a decent program. But its released with far too many bugs on a regular basis.

The end users are either clueless or don't know how to use the search function - the number of daily new threads and redundant posts in general is crazy. It would be a full time job just to read them all.

This might peak the interest of Ozowl...then we'll get lots of funky stuff that works good that no one understands hehe.

• 1 month later...

@Wela - I updated the first post for where the file needs to go. Put it in the FIX folder and you're good to go. If you are using FDV's fileset, you do not need to add a setupapi.dl_ file.

Edited by tommyp

TommyP :hello:

Two general questions about reducing files:

1. If a file is commented in a reducing file (see the example) will it be deleted or not?

Example

games.in
sol.ch
;sol.ex
sol.hl

Will sol.exe file be deleted?

2. Is it possible to use long file names in reducing files? I'd like to use dummy file names just for refferences.

Example

fjtwcpl.cp
HEWLLETPACKARDOFFICEJET.XX
hposrc10.ds

Can I use this HEWLLETPACKARDOFFICEJET.XX name ?

I could try it myself (with commenting files) but I'm afraid won't be able to run tests untill next weekend :(

Edited by Oleg_II

TommyP

I'm not sure but my RIN files seems not to be filtering SYSSETUP.INF. My syntax is:

syssetup.in;mdac
syssetup.in;ims.cat
syssetup.in;dtcsetup.cat

But the lines are still in SYSSETUP.INF :(

I choose filtering FDV's files in HFSLIP. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Edited by Oleg_II

If you want to delete those 3 files and remove them from syssetup, txtsetup and others, use a REM file instead. RIN files are special cases and are tricky to work with. I'll have to revisit my notes on the RIN stuff. When I made those reducers a few months back, there wasn't much enthusiasm for it, so I brushed it aside.

TommyP :hello:

No problem with removing files. I can't remove lines in SYSSETUP.INF :(

About enthusiasm... I was going to post in one old topic about HFSLIP and nLite about it (and I'll do ;) - my source is about 130MB right now and working fast! And I've done only a part of reducing files you have. So it has a HUGE perspective :yes:

TommyP

I have a request for additional type of reducing files say RHF for deleting files in SVCPACK.

The functionality should be the same with REM files so it shouldn't be difficult.

It appears that new hotfixes add some files I remove from original source and I mean CAT files. For example I delete DTCSETUP.CAT from the source but it's installed by a hotfix and is placed in SVCPACK folder so I can't delete it with REM files.

And there are some registry settings that are restored too :(