Ntfs Support In Win98se Or Me?

Shadow_Fi

Now, i was talking about this, about month ago, and now, i want new topic, to get things cleared. So, is there gonna be NTFS support, on WIN98SE or ME? If yes, how soon you are going to start work? And im talking about properly working integrated NTFS support, not some util. That would be very cool i think. :thumbup

imposible is a big word, maybe rather than difficult.

i'm sure you won't be able (as none have done it yet) to have full access with all the advantadges of ntfs.

anyway w98se is designed to run on a fat32 environment so if your question is: will i be able to install w9x over a ntfs drive? and not will i be able to access another ntfs drive? i'll say to first a big :no:, and to second MAYBE :yes: but with additional software and you won't be able to read/write as fast as another drive even it will probably cause hangs/problems related to permissions.

...not sure if i was clear :P...

programs like paragon ntfs for win 9x are at best very buggy so it's doubtful ntfs will come to win9x in a stable enviroment.

win9x was never designed to run on an ntfs file system only fat and fat 32,for one thing ntfs wasen't really perfected till windows 2000 and ms wasen't really concerned about adding ntfs support to win 9x but only to the NT oses.

Totally free way to support win98 on a full-fledged scale is not possible.

Win98 will necessarily need a fat16/32 partition to itself (installation of itself, I mean).

Now, to support ntfs from DOS is simple enough - winternals.com has a freeware tool for read-only support and (commercial) NTFSDOS Pro for read/write.

Paragon NTFS is an app which allows fully graphical file-system driver - it mounts your NTFS partition to the required drive-letter. After that it works like a normal fat32 partition with full read/write.

but there are problems after installing paragon ntfs so i would not bother trying,ntfs mighr be able to be emulated or maybe it would need to be integrated into the fat32 partition so maybe that fat32 thinks it's another fat32 partition wheras it is ntfs. and that would be the bridge so even though fat32 won't see ntfs partitions that bridge or possible emulation could allow 98 to see ntfs.i hope that made sense.

Actually there is a FREEWARE for personal use driver from DATAPOL that actually works, in BOTH read and write mode, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=30998

It gives acces to NTFS from DOS (or from a dos-box in win9x),

but of course it does not take any advantage of the NTFS filesystem, like permissions and the like.

It is MUCH smaller then the sysinternals version.

It is a very good solution for emergency access, i.e. repairing a corrupted file or removing a virus.

There are reports that using the DATAPOL NTFS4DOS driver:

McAfee Antivirus works

F-Prot Antivirus does NOT

Norton Antivirus does NOT

jaclaz

Marsden: some ppl can't upgrade to xp or 2000

if they can't upgrade then stick to 98 se

you do have a point btw, 98 se is getting older everyday and less and less apps are being supported,same goes for drivers, .net framework.

if only every1 had tons of cash then there would be more nt based oses installed rather than some dos based and more nt based

i for one use xp most of the time but there are some like me who were around in the dos days and like to go under the old os for a change.don't even think of using me just use the good parts of it and put em to 98 se.

you do have a point btw, 98 se is getting older everyday and less and less apps are being supported,same goes for drivers, .net framework.

I'm running .net 1.1

if only every1 had tons of cash then there would be more nt based oses installed rather than some dos based and more nt based
Even if I had Bill gates money I wouldn't run XP!
i for one use xp most of the time but there are some like me who were around in the dos days and like to go under the old os for a change.don't even think of using me just use the good parts of it and put em to 98 se.

Your definitely right on bout ME, tried it once on a dare, just like XP, no thanks!

Fact is if you can't afford to upgrade your system, you shouldn't even be running 98 on ntfs (if thats even posible) because FAT32 support is hard-coded into the OS, it doesn't utilise any of the 'conveniences' of NTFS, so any third party add-on with this functionality would simply be a bloat.

The only scenario where this type of support would come in usefull would be one of dual-booting.

Well, i can use, and I am using Windows XP Pro right now. I have no problem with using it. But, as you may know, Windows 98 SE, is so fast and lite, so i would wanna use it with some heavy games, as UT2004. It is pretty pity that its imposible to integrate NTFS support :( Ofcourse there is Windows NT 4.0, but i didnt heard nothing about new servicepacks on it. XP is too heavy crap. Well i think my solution is to install Windows 2000. pity, very pity...

Actually you don't need NTFS for gaming, NTFS is unneeded unless you need its features, like permissions, hardlinks, stripes,etc.

It is even a little slower than FAT32, the good thing is that it is a little less prone to fragmentation.

See here :

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

http://www.spcug.org/reviews/bl0401.htm

jaclaz

Try a journaling file system which is less prone to file corruption. You don't have that protection under 9X anything! NTFS allows YOU to choose your cluster size to fit your needs. 98 sticks you with 4K and that's it.

If you can't make ANY application of any flavor (DOS, Win95, 98, 98SE, Me) run on XP then you don't know what the hell you are doing. There is a tool out there... the Compatibility Administration Tool located on your XP CD and can be found in the \Support\Tools folder.

Everyone has excuses why they can't do this and that... user ignorance is not the fault of your OS.

If you have been using 98 for the last 7 to 8 years and have not bothered to save up for a newer system... that is your problem. By my figures you can get a new system from Dell for under $500 bucks. $500 by 8 years is only $62.50 a year! That is all you would have had to save to be able to afford a new system. That's about 3 movies for two people a year. That is not a huge cost to bare. Can't afford a new system... please whine to the figure in the mirror... the blame is on you!

There is no business logic to justify Win98 with all it's short comings and lack of security, especially in today's hostile Internet environment.