Hijaking Directx 9 Websetup

edit :: updated final version

after a wee bit of jiggery pokery, i've made a batch that'll hijak dxwebsetup.exe and create a directx9.0b install that you can squeeze down to just under 7mb's in size..

create a folder and call it hijak

go here and download dxwebsetup.exe and place it in your hijak folder

download the cabsdk from here, extract it, open the bin folder and copy cabarc.exe to your hijak folder

save this script as hijak.cmd and place it in your hijak folder

edit :: this is the updated script

@echo off
title Hijaking DX ... Please Wait
md .\directx
md .\dxtmp
copy %systemroot%\system32\DirectX\websetup\*.* .\dxtmp >NUL
md .\bdaxp
cabarc x .\dxtmp\bda_wxp.cab .\bdaxp\ >NUL
cabarc -m LZX:21 n .\directx\bdaxp.cab .\bdaxp\*.* >NUL
del .\dxtmp\bda_wxp.cab >NUL
rd /s /q .\bdaxp
move .\dxtmp\dsetup32.dll .\directx >NUL
move .\dxtmp\dsetup.dll .\directx >NUL
md .\dxnt
for %%i in (.\dxtmp\*.cab) do cabarc x %%i .\dxnt\ >NUL
cabarc -m LZX:21 n .\directx\dxnt.cab .\dxnt\*.* >NUL
rd /s /q .\dxnt
rd /s /q .\dxtmp

read all of the next paragraph and make sure you understand it before you do anything

execute dxwebsetup.exe and follow the prompts so that setup starts to download the components.. this is where you gotta be quick.. when its finished downloading and a split second after it starts to copy files, double click hijak.cmd and wait for it to finish

when hijak.cmd has finished you should be left with a directx folder containing these files

bdaxp.cab

dsetup32.dll

dsetup.dll

dxnt.cab

dowload the hexed dxsetup.exe here and place it in your newly created directx folder

compress the files with winrar as a sfx package that runs silently with no switch's.. thanks RyanVM :D ..heres how..

select the five files in your directx folder, right click on one and select 'add to archive...', give your archive a name, change compression method to best, tick 'Create SFX archive', select the Advanced tab at the top and click the SFX options button, in the 'Run after extraction' text box type 'dxsetup.exe /opk', select the modes tab at the top, tick 'Unpack to temporary folder', Silent mode set to Hide all, Overwrite mode set to Overwrite all files, click ok, click ok ..job done

i must say that RyanVM has added a link to a pre built exe for anyonce not wanting to try the method.. but ..for anyone using a different language your better off building your own.. this works for all language versions of dxwebsetup.exe

as an extra bonus heres a link to the pretty little directx icon.. right click and save target as.. cant believe i downloaded a 200+mb sdk for a little icon lol :rolleyes:

:)

theres quite a difference in size.. its no different apart from that.. totally up to you which you use.. could crunch it down more by changing the compression type with the cabarc command.. it works out at 10.9mb's and can go lower.. obviously its easier downloading DaveXP's opk :) ..i wanted to see if i could do it cause i knew dxwebsetup downloaded around 8mb's for a setup, the only problem was the download doesnt contain the dll's and exe.. thats where the other mb's comes from.. maybe someone knowledgable in other areas could crunch this up some more.. i havent finished with it yet ..i only came up with it today and gonna try lzx compression on the cabs, as it stands though it works

the main feature of this is the only other way to create an install like this is to download a 200+ mb directx sdk and even then its a headache creating the install ..this'll save you 200+ mb's worth of download time and its easy to do :rolleyes:

edit :: changed the line

cabarc n .\directx\dxnt.cab .\cabtmp\*.* >NUL

to

cabarc -m LZX:21 n .\directx\dxnt.cab .\cabtmp\*.* >NUL

install is now 9.2mb's :D and guessing i can still go lower

im as far as i can go with it now.. the installs down to 9mb's.. heres the new hijak.cmd

@echo off
title Hijaking DX ... Please Wait
md .\directx
md .\dxtmp
copy %systemroot%\system32\DirectX\websetup\*.* .\dxtmp >NUL
md .\bdaxp
cabarc x .\dxtmp\bda_wxp.cab .\bdaxp\ >NUL
cabarc -m LZX:21 n .\directx\bdaxp.cab .\bdaxp\*.* >NUL
del .\dxtmp\bda_wxp.cab >NUL
rd /s /q .\bdaxp
move .\dxtmp\dsetup32.dll .\directx >NUL
move .\dxtmp\dsetup.dll .\directx >NUL
md .\dxnt
for %%i in (.\dxtmp\*.cab) do cabarc x %%i .\dxnt\ >NUL
cabarc -m LZX:21 n .\directx\dxnt.cab .\dxnt\*.* >NUL
rd /s /q .\dxnt
rd /s /q .\dxtmp

im guessing this can be compressed a bit more by a packager of some kind

Well, I got impatient with waiting, so I went and did it myself :D. I'm happy to say it works perfectly (I already tested it with VPC) and it weighs in at only 6.86MB :rolleyes::). No switches required, just call the exe and watch it go!

I'm hosting it on my FTP just for the MSFN crowd. I respectfully ask that you not distribute this link outside of these forums, as I only have so much bandwidth to go around.

dead link

PS - Sorry Numinous, no pretty icon on mine :D

good job RyanVM.. sorry bout the delay i was sleeping ..but i see you took matters into your own hands :D good job :) you may get a few hits :D this is unique to MSFN but i know theres quite a few people on the net that wouldnt mind a method like this :rolleyes:

would you mind if i added your link to the original post??

heres a link to the pretty little icon

right click and save target as

i had to bump this as i think this is worth knowing..

if you make a setup.iss silent install script for an installshield setup you only need the command line setup.exe -s as long as the setup.iss file is in with the setup.exe..

very handy to know if your repackaging your applications up with winrar.. superb tip btw RyanVM :) im repackaging everything

Here is a swithless MSN Messenger 6.0

You can download it from myftp

REMOVED CHECK NEXT PAGE you will need to copy and paste in to the brower.

Username: MSFN

Password: MSFN

the file is MsnMsga.EXE

to go with your sliped down DirectX9b

btw, the password is case sentive. in should be small letter but it wont let me put it as small letters.

Edited by DaveXP