While installing Windows(any versiont)Hard drive NOT found

cucolinwin

When installing WinXP Pro I get this message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard drive disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Set up cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3.

I have run the recovery CD that came with the PC, original WinXP Pro CD, have tried a different HD, have installed the HD in another PC and is working fine, I formatted the HD (NTFS) and still same error. I was looking for the drivers for it this is an Western Digital (WDC WD800JB-OOCRA1). The drive does NOT show in BIOS, this is the only HD (master), I tried different connectors and still same, I went to the BIOS and loaded defaults. No luck!

The funny thing about this is that I was able to make a backup of some files in the

drive using the backup utility from Microsoft. Then I formatted the drive in another

pc and place it back in the original pc, but got the same error message anyways.

I think this might be a motherboard issue. I tried contacting Alienware, but I

have gotten no response. I wanted to ask: Is it possible to install Windows if I

connect the drive to another pc and then connect it back to the original pc? Will

it boot? Not sure if you understand. Can I use the bad HD drive in a good pc, install

Windows and then put it back in original pc? thanks

If you manage to install windows on it, you'll face the same issue: the drive STILL won't be seen in your system, since it's not seen in the BIOS. Now, are we talking about a S-ATA or IDE drive? A bit more details about your hardware would help us :hello:

From what you report it appears to me like a bad port on the motherboard or a bad cable.

Try changing the cable first.

Double check that hard disk is properly identified in BIOS, if it's not there is no way you can install/boot from that PC.

jaclaz

From what you report it appears to me like a bad port on the motherboard or a bad cable.

Try changing the cable first.

Double check that hard disk is properly identified in BIOS, if it's not there is no way you can install/boot from that PC.

jaclaz

Not necessarily, the hard drive itself could also be defective.

The first thing that comes to mind when people mention "IDE" and "Western Digital" in the same sentence is to check the Master/Slave jumper. If it's a single drive (only drive on the cable) then there should be no jumper at all on the drive. If it's a single drive and you have the jumper set to Master, it won't be detected. This is an oddity only with WD drives...

Perhaps Alienware in their quest for maximum performance specified a high performance IDE controller that isn't recognized by the default install. When you have the system running you should look at the hard disk controller and see if it is a common one. If you're lucky that driver is already in the DriverPacks. Otherwise you'll need to download it, make a floppy, and hit F6 during the CD boot.

It was the cable guys! it was a bad cable. Thanks. But now I'm facing another problem. I'm trying to install Vista on it and I get the error message:

This computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

When I press NEXT I get:

Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation.

I have tried many suggestions, but no luck! thanks

It was the cable guys! it was a bad cable. Thanks. But now I'm facing another problem. I'm trying to install Vista on it and I get the error message:

This computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

When I press NEXT I get:

Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation.

I have tried many suggestions, but no luck! thanks

You started a second thread with the same post. Please don't do that, it frustrates the hell out of people that would otherwise be interested in helping you. It's the best way to make sure we don't want to help you.